Shy Bite Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mant01

Last time I was out fishing I caught my first Barbel. I was so happy and thought it was a stunning fish. The only problem I had was they seemed very shy bites and using a quiver tip they were really hard to hit. I just ledgered my bait and had a hook length around 12 to 15 inches.
I had thought about making it shorter but would that not just make them feel the weight quicker and make them less likely to get a good hook hold? I would of float fished for them but the wind was crazy stong with waves that would of made it impossible. Any advice on dealing with shy bites would be great.
I'll just add I was using a 12ft feeder rod, 2oz weight, size 14 hook and 2 6mm pellets hair rigged. Thanks for any help offered.

Ricky24

Rich
Sometimes shortening your hook length works better mate so you were right to think along those lines. Fish sometimes respond better to this as they will hook themselves against the weight of the bomb or feeder (especially at 2oz) thus giving better bite indications on your rod tip. It's all about trial and error sometimes bites can seem like that but they are in fact 'liners' caused by fish brushing against your line etc. I have found having a shorter hook length for Carp for instance better than a longer one. Sometimes I will go for a hook length of 4-5ft if the fish are backing off the bait, this can also be a very good method to use when fish are shy/cagey. Try both and see what works, if neither then we need to look at it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.