Shropshire Day-ticket Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunter

Hi Gents,
I have finally decided to move on from lurking to making my first post. I have recently started fishing again after a break of many years. I live in Telford in Shropshire but have not fished in this area before now. I would appreciate some advice on good day-ticket lakes to visit in the Shropshire or W.Staffs areas, that will enable me to get my hand back in. I'll tackle river fishing later on.
I have recently fished Spring Lea Pools near Shrewsbury, but the novelty of having six-inch Tench throwing themselves onto the hook for a single grain of sweetcorn soon wore off!
Thanks,
Hunter

MALC

HUNTER

Can't help with any waters near to you but i'm sure after the weekend when alot of the regulars are back from the Welsh fish in someone will suggest a few.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
SorryHunter,
A river man myself and don't know your area, but Welcome to MD's

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
welcome to the Maggotdrowning family Hunter

I live in Stafford not far from you so maybe we'll get the chance to meet up & fish together.

In answer to your question,

I would ask at some of the local tackle shops about the free stretches of the Severn at Ironbridge, after all its THE river for big chub & barbel, its got to be good because Matt Hayes & Big Des fish those stretches so you might even bump into them.

You've also got a fantastic selection of pools around the ketley/Trench lock area (some of these have got big cats in them).

Moving closer to my area there's Swan pit pool on the Stafford to Newport Road on the Newport side of Gnosall, this is a lovely little pool with some decent sized Carp, Tench & Perch (amongst other species) the only problem with swanpit is the amount of matches that are booked on it due to its popularity.

Heading further into Stafford you've got Izaak Walton fishery which is at Chebsy & Baden Hall at Eccleshall which has got that many pools wetlands & canals you could never fish the whole place in one day.

Like i sauid , i'd ask around at the local tackle shops though as they will know all the areas day ticket & free stretches.

Tight lines.

Alan

I'll have a fiver on the black un

Darren

Welcome aboard Hunter,
I've put the kettle on so take a seat it won't be long icon_smile.gif

angler-mark

Hi Hunter,
Welcome to the club icon_smile.gif Nice to hear you are back into fishing. Enjoy yourself.

Tight Lines

Mark

Larry

Lazarus
Hi Hunter,
You don't how lucky you are living in Telford,your not far away from bridgnoth&the river severn i know there a lot a day ticket water at bridgenorth ,Iron bridge,iron bridge angling club pay on the bank.but if you pay 21.00 for a B.A.A card You've got access to some of the best barbel fishing in the country at Quatford ,the Danery, arley,highley, hampton loade bewdley stourport etc click the link below for B.A.A.Also loads of Pools,
http://www.baa.uk.com/
Hapy fishing&tight line's Cheers Larry

Cheer's Larry

Larry

Lazarus
Sorry just looked at membership prices its 24 00 now also thers 6 pools at nordley by the stanley waters.

Cheer's Larry

hunter

Thanks to everyone for the replies and such a friendly welcome to MD. I wish I had found the site sooner as it seems to cater for all anglers, whatever their level of experience, a refreshing change.

Trogg, even after I have logged on I am unable to send you an email so I will have to respond this way. Many thanks for the information. A colleague (also, like me, with little recent fishing experience) has also mentioned Swan Pit Pool to me. He has fished there but found that the combination of waggler/bronze maggots produced lots of small roach & the occasional micro-perch, but nothing more interesting.
Can you suggest better tactics/baits for Swan Pit and I'll give it a try when I have completed this series of Nightshifts, (assuming I've not turned into a vampire bat by then).

Edited by - hunter on 25 August 2002 8:51:15 PM

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Only three baits to use at the pit,

1, luncheon meat/ bacon sizzle.

2 Bread (floaters)

3 cheese

best place to fish is towards the island from the left bank (as you look up the pool from the main road).

Can't understand why you can't mail me, the link at the top of my posts should work??

Alan

I'll have a fiver on the black un

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Welcome Hunter,
Nice to see someone returning to angling,and as for being a
to the forums,don't worry.Fat better to be a
than a lurker.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.