Shroom/Fungi hunters...any idea?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Just got back from doing my rounds on club waters and came across these.

The first pic is one of around 4 inch across and has been nibbled by the look of it...

IMG_20191023_133220.jpg

This second one was around 6 inch across...

IMG_20191023_133316.jpg

There are around 16 of these things and are not all in one spot.
Any idea as to what they are called?

dandan2000

Look like fly agaric to me....

Arguably the most iconic toadstool species, the fly agaric is a large white-gilled, white-spotted, usually red mushroom, and is one of the most recognizable and widely encountered in popular culture.
Although classified as poisonous, reports of human deaths resulting from its ingestion are extremely rare. After parboiling twice with water draining—which weakens its toxicity and breaks down the mushroom's psychoactive substances—it is eaten in parts of Europe, Asia, and North America. Amanita muscaria is noted for its hallucinogenic properties, with its main psychoactive constituents being the compounds ibotenic acid and muscimol. The mushroom was used as an intoxicant and entheogen by the indigenous peoples of Siberia and by the Sámi, and has a religious significance in these cultures. There has been much speculation on possible traditional use of this mushroom as an intoxicant in other places such as the Middle East, Eurasia, North America, and Scandinavia.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I think you will find the larger is Amanita muscaria, Fly Agaric.
Poisonous toadstool commonly found near or under birch and pine trees. Some older ones don't have the white warts on the cap. Hight about 20cm cap about 15cm.
Without looking underneath to see if they are gilled or not

If the first is on grassland it could be a Bolete. The boletes have no gills and only one type is poisonous.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I never thought to look underneath, but I'm down there again tomorrow and have a look.

Blanks

Site Supporter
Fly agaric, nice journey on the inside, not as visual as psilocybe more a connoisseur high.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
It's been - so far - an amazing year for fungi. The grass verge opposite us is covered in mushrooms. We're going out for a walk around and through the local woods on Sunday. I shall have my big canvas shopping bag with me.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I reckon that both those pictures are Fly Agaric - at any rate, I wouldn't eat either.

It's quite a while since I collected proper Field Mushrooms in the wild, usually from old established pastures where horses has been kept for many years.
No problem in identifying them - a gentle rub and smell them. The most delicious "proper" mushroom aroma.
Cooked in a bit of butter, full cream milk and ground black pepper, the taste was superior to anything which ever came out of a supermarket.

Gwillim

Have our wild woodland mushrooms collected and given to us by our neighbour who also supplies us with fresh veg from his allotment and fresh eggs from his chickens and in return he gets baked goodies, chanterlle are one of my faves I have to say

Most of the mushrooms you get in supermarkets are all the same lol people think they are different mushrooms but they are all the same just grown or harvested in different ways, portobello, flat, button, baby are all the same species!

nutmeg

Site Supporter
I took this photo two weeks ago at my clubs complex, we get loads of these every year and many other species of fungi.

davylad

Site Supporter
I went to my daughters last week to cut the grass for her, and couldn't believe what I saw. There was about 40 or 50 smallish white button mushrooms, they looked to me just like them what you buy from the supermarkets, but the rest of the family weren't interested and said "they won't eat them" How can you tell if they're ok, I should have taken a picture?

Chervil

Site Supporter
I've heard in the past that reindeer herders drunk the urine of reindeer, that had eaten Fly Agaric, to get high. Then saw lots of articles saying it never happened. This one says it did/does. Could be a way of making a few quid @ukzero1. You could bottle it and sell it on line, maybe Dave will sell it on the forum. The perfect Christmas present. Get bottling now, remember only 63 peeing days to Christmas.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I was always taught that if a mushroom was brightly coloured you ate it at your peril. Unless you know what you are doing you should only get them from the supermarket. I was brought up by poachers/country folk but it has been many years since I did any gathering and I would not have the confidence to collect any now, at least not on my own.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
I've heard in the past that reindeer herders drunk the urine of reindeer, that had eaten Fly Agaric, to get high. Then saw lots of articles saying it never happened. This one says it did/does. Could be a way of making a few quid @ukzero1. You could bottle it and sell it on line, maybe Dave will sell it on the forum. The perfect Christmas present. Get bottling now, remember only 63 peeing days to Christmas.

I read somewhere that the tribes 'Medicine Man' would eat the shrooms then give his sick people his urine to drink.