Shower question

62tucker

Site Supporter
Getting new shower fitted shortly.
Last one was just tiled. Should I stay the same or go for panels.?
And plus points or against points on options. Thanks for any replies.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I had mine tiled.
Looks nice, but I'll definitely go for panels next time.
Wipe clean in seconds with a window vac, and no grouting to go mouldy.

In fact we'll probably get rid of the bath altogether, and just have a walk-in shower / wet room.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Had two ensuites finished last year and it's panels every time now.
Easier to maintain and they show less imperfections but the bonus is if you have any leaks or want to change the riser it is far easier to take the panel off and refit/replace with the original or same pattern.
Will be far easier to get a replacement panel with a pattern match than it will to get the tiles.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Interesting. My missus wants to replace our tiled shower with a completely sealed unit. They're bloody expensive. How much are the panels?

davylad

Site Supporter
I had mine tiled.
Looks nice, but I'll definitely go for panels next time.
Wipe clean in seconds with a window vac, and no grouting to go mouldy.

In fact we'll probably get rid of the bath altogether, and just have a walk-in shower / wet room.
Think twice before you get rid of your bath Dave, I know quite a few people who wish they hadn't.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Think twice before you get rid of your bath Dave, I know quite a few people who wish they hadn't.

But it could be extremely practical.
Thinking even of having a toilet built in to the wet room.
Then I could shower and s*it at the same time? o_O:unsure::whistle:

Somersetlad

The problem is it makes the house unsaleable to anybody with small children. it's great for adults or teenagers, but kiddies need a bath (and ducks). Best ensuite with shower, family bathroom with a bath and shower over, fed from the boiler.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
On the flip side though you could also consider if you are planning to stay there and what the ongoing health issues of the family are.
My old man had the bathroom converted to a wetroom and was able to shower in it with a dedicated wheeled shower chair