Should there be a 13metre Pole limit in matches?

Arch

Site Supporter
No, no and thrice no.

I'd hate to think how much redundant carbon I'd now own.

georgie boy

i would very much like a Dawia top of the range pole, but the mrs. won't let me spend her inheritance on such a luxuary, i've just bought her the latest floor cleaner which cot as much as a very old MAP 301, so if anybody would like to donate a Dawia 16mt. pole to myself, i would be very greatful, thanks,see you all at the Fur and Feather.

Johnny7oma

Site Supporter
I think that it's a good idea. It's easy to get good poles of 13m at an affordable price. At 16m the price of good poles is eyewatering. And the more affordable 16m poles tend to be quite a handful at full length, some to the point of being unusable at that length. I think in most areas of match fishing, the difference between top end and budget gear is closer in terms of results. It's the skill of the angler that makes the difference. But when it comes to poles, it's not just a question of skill, but money. If the far bank is 16m away, and that's where the fish are, then it's going to be the anglers with good16m poles who are going to come out on top. Anyone else won't stand a chance.
That's a ton more kit than poor old Isaac Walton had!

JLK

So do we then restrict feeder matches to 50m casts because not everyone has a distance rod.

Yeah. Then there would be no need for a distance feeder rod as the fish would eventually start to feed closer in.

Start fishing and feeding at 100m and they'll stay at 100m 😗😗

Paul.P

As an old git with a bad back, i think this is a great idea !. Obviously the younger ones amongst us that benefit from better health gain a big advantage being able to fish another 3m out, so don't blame them for not wanting this, but it won't do there back any good in the long run, seen it to many times where younger anglers take the mick & then suffer as they get older. And where the manufacturers lose out selling the extra bits of carbon they would probably sell more waggler rods !

derwentboy

Site Supporter
Funnily enough, I was reading Steve Gardner’s A Life in Match Fishing the other day and he mentioned this limit being introduced on some matches giving the domestic European match circuit as an example. He said he felt it would give more anglers a chance to compete and learn in these particular matches.

lucc

In France, limit has been set to 13m back in 2001. I really think it is better has it has various advantages:
- Price obviously for one,
- Makes all competitors equal on this side, therefore
- Increase the number of competitors ( on the length issue, everybody has its chance). Some would not compete knowing others might have rods 3m longer.

baggy

Mark Saunders
I think it’s a good idea for the reasons already mentioned in the thread but I think that there is a bigger issue that needs looking at and ties in with the 13m limit which is more FIPS rule matches.

I know that most people fish commercials but the future England teams will fall behind the continental teams due to not having enough experience fishing these style matches. For example 4 hour matches, fishing with natural baits only with limits including bloodworm, 10 minute pre-baiting period etc. If there more of these format matches like the Sensas challenge it will be beneficial going forward. The matches don’t need to just be on natural venues but a mixture so all scenarios could be covered.

George Jones

Site Supporter
As someone who fishes Open matches on various Commercial Snake Lakes, I have no desire to see pole lengths limited. I would like to see method feeders banned though, especially when an angler is pegged opposite. I was on a match a few weeks ago when a method feeder hit my keepnet. This was cast from about 32m across a thin island. All the pillock had to say was "My clips come off"

Total

Site Supporter
As someone who fishes Open matches on various Commercial Snake Lakes, I have no desire to see pole lengths limited. I would like to see method feeders banned though, especially when an angler is pegged opposite. I was on a match a few weeks ago when a method feeder hit my keepnet. This was cast from about 32m across a thin island. All the pillock had to say was "My clips come off"
.....Sorry about that Mr Jones....:oops:;)

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
As an old git with a bad back, i think this is a great idea !. Obviously the younger ones amongst us that benefit from better health gain a big advantage being able to fish another 3m out, so don't blame them for not wanting this, but it won't do there back any good in the long run, seen it to many times where younger anglers take the mick & then suffer as they get older. And where the manufacturers lose out selling the extra bits of carbon they would probably sell more waggler rods !

I’ve got a completly knackered back, not much difference between fishing 13m and 16m all day to be honest, I reckon to really not affect my back it has to be 7/8m.

alsur

Site Supporter
If he was casting that hard I would have thought it would be bouncing back to his keepnet when he hit the clip.

Last edited:

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Decoy has a 14.5-metre limit in matches on four of its 11 lakes. That is purely to stop encroaching on the swim of the angler opposite.

Personally I believe that the absence of bans in the past had led to a lot of increases in the quality of both tackle and techniques. I am not good at fishing shallow, but I don't wish to see it banned. Once such bans come in Nationwide would they end with anglers being allowed to fish only with half a pint of maggots??

Some anglers did fish Decoy with 25-metres poles many years ago, floating the pole across towards the islands, but Peter put a stop to that because fish being hooked in far-bank reeds 25 metres away were snagging themselves in the reeds and the hooks were tearing their mouths. That was clearly a reprehensible way of fishing.
But I say good luck to anyone who can fish a 16-metre pole - I can, but not for six hours. I am 79, and it's largely down to technique, not just to spending thousands on the latest model. If you can't be bothered to learn the technique that's your problem.

rob6709

Site Supporter
I think it’s a good idea for the reasons already mentioned in the thread but I think that there is a bigger issue that needs looking at and ties in with the 13m limit which is more FIPS rule matches.

I know that most people fish commercials but the future England teams will fall behind the continental teams due to not having enough experience fishing these style matches. For example 4 hour matches, fishing with natural baits only with limits including bloodworm, 10 minute pre-baiting period etc. If there more of these format matches like the Sensas challenge it will be beneficial going forward. The matches don’t need to just be on natural venues but a mixture so all scenarios could be covered.
Those world championship style matches look absolutely awful. If someone wants to be told how they can fish (float only/feeder only) in those type of matches fannying around with bloodworm thats up to them. Leave everyone else alone!

baggy

Mark Saunders
Those world championship style matches look absolutely awful. If someone wants to be told how they can fish (float only/feeder only) in those type of matches fannying around with bloodworm thats up to them. Leave everyone else alone!
It’s simple, don’t fish them if you don’t like them. I’m just suggesting that there should be more of these style matches for people who have aspirations of fishing at the highest level. I’m not suggesting that all matches should be that way.

Personally I feel that the pinnacle of match fishing should be representing your country and not fishing for a big cheque, I know I’m the minority but that’s my opinion.

Paul.P

I personally would like to see rod & float only matches, no poles, no feeder/bombs !