Should there be a 13metre Pole limit in matches?

chris1967

Really Really
Site Supporter
most of the mr and mrs's that fish 16m are equally adept at fishing 13m or 2+2,or rod and line lobbing a pig out so dont think it would make much difference

davylad

Site Supporter
Then they'd find something else to try and level it up, maybe 2 pints casters maximum as they're too expensive. :love:

Total

Site Supporter
It's what's in the water as opposed to what's out of the water that matters. Just because someone can afford a 16m pole, they may not be skilled enough in using it. Those that cannot afford should improve their skills in using rod and line at 16m to match those with a 16m pole. Used correctly I think a running line can equal and sometimes out match those with a pole. It's about building the swim in accordance with available equipment IMO.
I very rarely used my 16m pole at full length.
Are you casting for 'bites' Mr Fox?:unsure::whistle::D

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
I think you'd struggle to cast a float where you can lower it in with a pole Mike, unless you're fishing open water maybe.
Absolutely, I agree with you, under bushes or in a gap in the reeds or hard against a far bank etc, but I don't know of any international matches that have this issue. They are all in open water as far as I know, therefore pole length restriction is just another fair match rule. All things are equal in match fishing because the match rules are set out before the all in and so everyone is on equal footing until drawing the peg and so pole length restrictions should be a fair rule. It's the pegging that is often unfair and this in itself can determine the winner but in any case the fish may not be out at 16m.
All amateur sport has the affordability barrier. The better quality of gear the easier your chances of winning are, but in angling I don't think it makes a huge difference. I think the actual venues are far less fair than the equipment used but we all know about this before entering a match, so my direct answer to the OP is it shouldn't make much difference. A 13m restriction would just be another rule. A bit of a bummer though if the fish are at 16m and you only have a 13m pole but such is life, use a different method like wanging a small feeder out hard and low.
If you have a 16m pole why hold it out at 16m for 5 or 6 hours when you could use a pole cup to ship a feeder out to an awkward spot. That's what I used to do if the rules didn't say I couldn't.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Is there a rule about how far you can go in the water on natural venues? As it reminds me when I used to fish club matches, some people gave themselves an extreme advantage on reservoirs by wading out with a massive oil rig of a platform so they could catch on the pole. As for a limit on poles, I can only see it making sense on some venues, not as a blanket rule, as you might have to reach the island or the far bank of a snake lake.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Is there a rule about how far you can go in the water on natural venues? As it reminds me when I used to fish club matches, some people gave themselves an extreme advantage on reservoirs by wading out with a massive oil rig of a platform so they could catch on the pole. As for a limit on poles, I can only see it making sense on some venues, not as a blanket rule, as you might have to reach the island or the far bank of a snake lake.
I think the Model Match Rules stipulate you can wade out as far as the water coming up to your knees or you can still touch the bank.

Total

Site Supporter
So do we then restrict feeder matches to 50m casts because not everyone has a distance rod.
This is why I don't like 'pole limits/bans'.....Opens up a can of worms similar to above and worse...(y).....If you need/want a16 metre pole, save up for it.....

stephenk

Site Supporter
They would have to be checked - all manufacturers seem to have a different idea of what 13m actually is.

And that's before trimming / removing number 1s, short 4s, phex's, dolly butts etc...

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Not for me, I fish some matches with pole limits, but that's by choice, not generally keen on bans (although I fish some places where the method is banned, I don't have an issue with that!). You wouldn't be able to enforce it. I'll always fish as short as I can, its easier, but when needs must, I have fished up to 21m of pole.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Don’t think there is a point banning 16m poles - I have an old 13m - because I would pick matches I knew didn’t need 16m to win and fish those

If someone has a 16m pole they probably need the winnings to pay for their osteopath to sort out their backache after a 5hr match :D

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
If someone has a 16m pole they probably need the winnings to pay for their osteopath to sort out their backache after a 5hr match :D
A decent pole and correct technique ensures you don't get backache. I must admit I wouldn't want to fish 16m with some of the floppy bananas I see on the bank.......

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
Best equipment has always been there...from having Adidas footie boots v woolies specials,,,,,minerva footballs etc etc

Effectively we have a limit, 16m. If you can afford high end then great you'll get an advantage. But the reality is how often do you use 16m ? don't think I've had mine out of the bag this year. And if it was limited to 13m there would be complaints about someone having the lightest, stiffest pole so has a greater bite to fish ratio...it never stops. Do we ban thermal clothing with batteries because the angler is warmer ? Limit the distance we can cast, use unstable V rollers because a £180 Rive roller is too stable and out of someones budget ? It simply becomes a race to the bottom.......

pies

Site Supporter
They would have to be checked - all manufacturers seem to have a different idea of what 13m actually is.

And that's before trimming / removing number 1s, short 4s, phex's, dolly butts etc...
If there was a 13m limit manufacturers would be very quick to have there poles exacty 13 m. As it is there is generally no limit so they not worried
Just had a thought that on continent 13m is the norm. So are thee poles stated length at 13m and its only when we push to 16m that it goes Pete Tong

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Actually I think my overall stance has changed since my original post. I can see a case for limits on pole length in some circumstances, matches with a 13m limit, and match venues should have specific 13m or less matches, either leagues or opens. Maybe even a national 13m or less big money open with qualifiers and a big prize pot in the final. And possibly a national 13m or less match series with a big prize that doesn't allow sponsored, semi pro or pro match anglers. That would encourage new talent to emerge without the need to break the bank trying to break through.
But there should be no limits to tackle on the main open circuit or in the big team competitions. There needs to be a top echelon of any sport, able to use the best equipment. And anyone making a name for themselves fishing open 13m matches will probably get noticed by the tackle companies and be given the means to compete on the general open circuit and big match scene.