Should there be a 13metre Pole limit in matches?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just thinking about it, if we were to adopt the International match rule regarding the maximum length of a pole (13m), would it even up the playing field on matches?

If you have to fish at 16m to be competitive, is the angler who can't afford a top-end pole at a disadvantage when it comes to holding 16m of carbon for five/six hours.?

Whisker

Site Supporter
Oh no! We’ve just got “Superperson”. Dave think about deleting this post, please! Before you know it, there’ll be a minority saying they can only manage fishing with a top kit and calling for top kit only matches. Then there’ll be “I’ve only got a 9’ tip rod… we want 9’ rod only matches”…. It’s a very slippery slope is this! 😱

Browner

Site Supporter
Maybe everyone should fish the the same kit then it makes it even and it’s down to ability and the luck of the draw.
Often thought that about motorsport. Make everyone drive exactly the same car then it’s down to ability

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
No. I love it when I beat those who religiously believe that they must fish as long a pole as they can.

I'm happy when I see loads of long poles around me bridging over all the fish I am targeting.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Be interesting to run a rod and maggots only match.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Disabled matches have a pole limit.
I have fished a few were tape measures have been produced because a few were thought to have fished a longer length.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I wouldn’t call for any bans, you can always level up the fields with a bit of ingenuity. I can’t see a pole bristle at 16m but I don’t want that length banned. I would just use a waggler with a thicker bristle or flick a bomb out.

pies

Site Supporter
As an owner of a top end pole. I say yes max length 13m.
Everyone wins. Cheaper poles, less weight to carry. No back pain. Skill will still win. If you need to fish longer get a rod out

smiffy

Site Supporter
This idea was banded about while I was still matchfishing. I wasn’t against it. It may help to make matchfishing a little bit more accessible.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
As the chances of me fishing a match again are very near zero, it's really not something that concerns me. However, the only folks I can see objecting are retailers, fisheries designed with 16m in mind, sponsored anglers and anglers with plenty of disposable income. Once the international match rules limited pole lengths, I'm a bit surprised that the UK didn't follow suit. However, I suspect that quite a lot of 16m wide match venues had been created in the UK by then.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I think there's a time and place for equalised matches - not all the time, but occasionally matches where everyone has the same limits in terms of tackle and bait would bring a different dimension to fishing that might help folks develop new tactics and approaches.

However, forcing it all the time is too much.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
If you look at somewhere like France where match fishing is much more structured they had a league system which meant any one at the starting level was restricted to 9 meters then as you progressed 11 meters and so on until you reached the highest level which was "The club de France" from which the French international teams were selected, not sure of the current situation because I have not spoken to any French lately.
This could never work in England because the sport is so fragmented with anglers scattered across privately owned ponds who would inevitably set their own rules.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
It's what's in the water as opposed to what's out of the water that matters. Just because someone can afford a 16m pole, they may not be skilled enough in using it. Those that cannot afford should improve their skills in using rod and line at 16m to match those with a 16m pole. Used correctly I think a running line can equal and sometimes out match those with a pole. It's about building the swim in accordance with available equipment IMO.
I very rarely used my 16m pole at full length.

davylad

Site Supporter
I think you'd struggle to cast a float where you can lower it in with a pole Mike, unless you're fishing open water maybe.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Wasn't there at least one fishery that had a pole limit. I recall they had two posts in the ground to measure poles if there was any question.

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
Shearsby valley lakes have or had a 13 meter limit due to the width of the lakes
It works there very well

bryan white

Site Supporter
poor delicate flowers..let’s limit it to top 2+2, beta seatbox, fleabay rods, Nottingham reels, Argos landing net handle, glass vacuum flasks ,a few bb floats, no split shot smaller than size 4, shiny hooks only , half a pint gentle’s limit and no side trays allowed

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I think that it's a good idea. It's easy to get good poles of 13m at an affordable price. At 16m the price of good poles is eyewatering. And the more affordable 16m poles tend to be quite a handful at full length, some to the point of being unusable at that length. I think in most areas of match fishing, the difference between top end and budget gear is closer in terms of results. It's the skill of the angler that makes the difference. But when it comes to poles, it's not just a question of skill, but money. If the far bank is 16m away, and that's where the fish are, then it's going to be the anglers with good16m poles who are going to come out on top. Anyone else won't stand a chance.