Should the football league resume...?

Keith Sparky

Dusty you have done some good research there !....... remember the days before playoff ?. 3rd was 100% promoted every year I think !........Would be interesting to see how many team who were 3rd after 80% of their games went on to get promotion in the old system....sounds like a project to try to find out ...

Arch

Site Supporter
I'm not a Football fan, but can't see how you can play ANY sort of sport where close contact is needed. How can you have a scrum in Rugby ?? 16 blokes all snotting and face to face, spitting. Can't see it happening, especially when other countries have abandoned their seasons.

Dusty

Site Supporter
Dusty you have done some good research there !....... remember the days before playoff ?. 3rd was 100% promoted every year I think !........Would be interesting to see how many team who were 3rd after 80% of their games went on to get promotion in the old system....sounds like a project to try to find out ...

Too much time on my hands at the mo 😆

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Arch they have already discussed trialiing games with uncontested scrums and even "heaven forbid" touch rugby was suggested.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Ferchrissakes... Covid 19 is transmitted by contact... what part of "CONTACT" can be avoided in Rugby or Football... or for Cricket... for any team sport for that matter

Keith Sparky

Ferchrissakes... Covid 19 is transmitted by contact... what part of "CONTACT" can be avoided in Rugby or Football... or for Cricket... for any team sport for that matter
Agreed that's why i think finishing now and planning for Oct restart is the only option

Pikerwoods

Site Supporter
Have separate showers instead of large bath...lol

Blanks

Site Supporter
I'm finished with football now anyway, after the greed shown by players.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
You know what @Blanks your are right, add many other roles in football to that, many are it. Not all players granted, but the game isn't what it was. Felt it for sometime.
I like attending a live match and playing the game, but times like this have shown me i don't miss it much, not half as much fishing and just being able to go and swing the golf clubs whenever i could.

Have to be upbeat about the game for the sake of the lad who loves it, but he hasn't known anything different.

Blanks

Site Supporter
Kids will always love their football, god knows, we did. I used to watch a lot of live games back in the 70's and 80's but as you say the game changed. It's not only football a lot of the good fun has gone from life these days.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Don't think all players start out greedy as such, but when you sit next to one in the dressing room and start talking, it soon breeds-'hang on, he's on what'. Can't make for a very healthy team situation at times, reckon a wage structure and cap would fix alot.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Can never understand the "they are greedy" attitude one bit.

Apart from a very few who do want more,they are nothing more than employees who will work for an employer who is prepared to retain their services and pay their market worth for as long as they want them. That is no different to anyone else regardless of what profession they work in.
Their's is a short professional career and for most they have nothing else to fall back on.
Most will start with young families and their priority will be to ensure that their families have the best thing's in life,the best thing's that for a lot of players worldwide their families and themselves never have. Very many never even had the basic thing's we treat with contempt.

Don't ever begrudge someone for wanting the best for themselves and their families because if any one of us was born with a talent to do well we would be doing exactly the same . To say we wouldn't is absolute b*****s

Stansthirdboy

Site Supporter
I think the misconception with a lot of people is that all footballers, even in the EPL are on 100's thousands a week, when that is the exeption rather than the rule, Outside what is considered the top six, it's considerably less.
Don't get me wrong its still more a week than most of us earn in a year, and when you get out of the top flight (EPL) the wages drop considerably, I knew of a Bolton player who had to have a part time job to supplement his income.

Northantslad

'Any indications?

Apart from a very few who do want more,they are nothing more than employees who will work for an employer who is prepared to retain their services and pay their market worth for as long as they want them. That is no different to anyone else regardless of what profession they work in.
Their's is a short professional career and for most they have nothing else to fall back on.
Most will start with young families and their priority will be to ensure that their families have the best thing's in life,the best thing's that for a lot of players worldwide their families and themselves never have. Very many never even had the basic thing's we treat with contempt.

Don't ever begrudge someone for wanting the best for themselves and their families because if any one of us was born with a talent to do well we would be doing exactly the same . To say we wouldn't is absolute b*****s

Observation really Lee, money is money, just has got to daft levels. Agree with you, and certainly when it is seen as a cure all, when they are still human beings granted.

Dusty

Site Supporter

100% agree with this.

lliopp

Site Supporter
I will probably still take a slight interest, but long gone are the days that it actually mattered.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Now there's talk of playing in a neutral venues... WTF difference is that gonna make...?????? to my mind the season is over.... end of ... call it a null season and go home.... worry about what's gonna happen in August.... jeeezus there are more important things to worry about than 22 overpaid twonks kicking a ball about...!!!

Stansthirdboy

Site Supporter
Now there's talk of playing in a neutral venues... WTF difference is that gonna make...?????? to my mind the season is over.... end of ... call it a null season and go home.... worry about what's gonna happen in August.... jeeezus there are more important things to worry about than 22 overpaid twonks kicking a ball about...!!!
Neutral venues have been suggested because Spurs and Chelsea have handed over parts of their grounds to the NHS