Should the football league resume...?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
As it is so close to the end of the normal season... call the season null and void and restart when the pandemic is over...? In my mind this is what SHOULD be done, however it seems that the teams want some kind of resumption to take place... what are your thoughts...?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
I don't think it will resume it.
France & Holland have abandoned their season.
Germany were going to but with the increase in infections a rethink is on the cards
Italy/Spain will resume training in May for a June restart but it is on a proviso.

Problem the FL have is they have far more games left to play and schedule in,the police will have a say when advising the government and we are still having far too many deaths & infections per day.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Definitely should just call off the football and rugby seasons now and start a fresh in day august. Wouldn’t bother with a cricket season either. Even if played behind closed doors there’d be too many people involved.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
im a massive Liverpool fan and we were on target to finally achieve the one thing all Liverpool supports want and get the Premier league title but honestly im not fussed if it does or doesnt finish as its well down the list of priorities at the moment, once we have some idea of the exit strategy and when that might happen its not even something im thinking about.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
It is what it is safety and Human life before Glory on a footy pitch.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Tbh rugby be would be downright dangerous to start after this long a break without proper training as you’d need to have some form to preseason to re condition the body to take the abuse.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I think they should abandon the season and award the accolades as it stands. Just not promote or relegate anybody. I know not everyone has played the same number of games but it is what it is.

shang

Finish the league's now with the results standing as per FL rules of over 75% of games having bring played.
The one concession is I'd allow teams who haven't played an equal number of matches to play that game behind closed doors

62tucker

Site Supporter
Finish the league's now with the results standing as per FL rules of over 75% of games having bring played.
The one concession is I'd allow teams who haven't played an equal number of matches to play that game behind closed doors
And give the fa cup to Newcastle

Stansthirdboy

I think they should abandon the season and award the accolades as it stands. Just not promote or relegate anybody. I know not everyone has played the same number of games but it is what it is.

This is the debate, how can you abandon the season, award the title, but not have relegation and promotion ?
In the Championship you have playoffs to decide the third team to be promoted, how do you sort that out, in past seasons the team finishing third has failed to get promoted

IMO the fairest way is for the season to be null and void, write it off, no transfers allowed until January window, that way if the teams are as good as they are they will be top of the tree again

Keith Sparky

Just freeze all the leagues top to bottom in the pyramid and to ensure teams with games in hand are treated reasonably fairly then award them extra points based on their current points per games total. Relegate and promote accordingly as lets be fair with only a relatively few games to go sides that are in the relegation zones or promotion spots have been the best or worst for almost 90% of the season. No playoffs this year and instead promote for example the 3rd place club in the championship along with the the current top 2 automatic spots. If we did this I suspect 90% of the clubs that would have either been promoted or relegated at the end of the full season would still do so. For Champions league just award current top 4 the spots. Its not 100% perfect but the fairest to reflect the results having played nearly 90% of the scheduled games. All Cup competitions both domestic and European to be abandoned. Then delay starts of new season across Europe to early October to allow transfers and contracts to be sorted and for the clubs to prepare for some form of social distancing. Run no European competitions at all for 20/21 to minimise cross country travel.

Stansthirdboy

Just freeze all the leagues top to bottom in the pyramid and to ensure teams with games in hand are treated reasonably fairly then award them extra points based on their current points per games total. Relegate and promote accordingly as lets be fair with only a relatively few games to go sides that are in the relegation zones or promotion spots have been the best or worst for almost 90% of the season. No playoffs this year and instead promote for example the 3rd place club in the championship along with the the current top 2 automatic spots. If we did this I suspect 90% of the clubs that would have either been promoted or relegated at the end of the full season would still do so. For Champions league just award current top 4 the spots. Its not 100% perfect but the fairest to reflect the results having played nearly 90% of the scheduled games. All Cup competitions both domestic and European to be abandoned. Then delay starts of new season across Europe to early October to allow transfers and contracts to be sorted and for the clubs to prepare for some form of social distancing. Run no European competitions at all for 20/21 to minimise cross country travel.
Less than 80% of games have been played in the Premiership.
Clubs have in the past escaped relegation/got automatic promotion/ into a play off position on the result of the last games of the season.
Mathematically Man City can still win the EPL
If Man City get their European Ban enforced, how do you decide who gets that place ? ( I think there are three clubs that could mathematically finish fifth)

Keith Sparky

Yes agree that its not perfect but playing behind closed doors or whatever will put strain on public services. I am sadly a League 2 Newport County fan who are mid table but if we were bottom after 37 games then we would have to be relegated. I think its cleaner to stop now and restart in the Autumn. It ends the uncertainty for players, staff and fans and allows clubs to plan for an imperfect but more realistic Oct start.

Dusty

Site Supporter

Not so sure about awarding 3rd place automatic promotion, this is the championship last 5 years..

2018-2019 - Aston Villa(5th)
2017-2018 - Fulham (3rd)
2016-2017 - Huddersfield (5th)
2015-2016 - Hull (4th)
2014-2015 - Norwich (3rd)

A percentage of only 40% got promoted from 3rd place.

League One

2018-2019 - Charlton (3rd)
2017-2018 - Rotherham (4th)
2016-2017 - Millwall (6th)
2015-2016 - Barnsley (6th)
2014-2015 - Preston (3rd)

Again only 40%

League Two (4th place as three go up automatically)

2018-2019 - Tranmere (6th)
2017-2018 - Coventry (6th)
2016-2017 - Blackpool (7th)
2015-2016 - AFC Wimbledon (7th)
2014-2015 - Southend (5th)

0% of teams promoted from top promotion spot.

Across all 3 divisions over 5 years that’s just a little more than 25% of teams promoted from the top playoff spot.