Should non-essential goods be banned from being sold on Ebay ?

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
I have an interest in auctions and vintage fishing tackle. Whilst the majority of auction houses like Hansons, Johnsons, etc around here have closed, and some auction houses are only having limited on line bidding for goods which only can be collected after the lock-down. That I agree with. However, whilst browsing through Fleabay, I still see plenty of sites selling fishing reels, and other items. Yes I know there are many other non-essential items

Surely this has travel implications, to the post office, involves Mr Deliveryman (bless his soul) doing his rounds and having to contact more people. I know that I have stpped posting on ebay, and my sister who ran a vintage clothing business has closed her shop. The shop was her main source of income

Question
Should more sellers on ebay and other sites either close down or do you think that the pursuit of income is justified in any circumstance.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Same could be said of any shop really.
Should supermarkets sell alcohol
Should lidl or Aldi be selling power washers or compost.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
People need to have somewhere to spend their 80% of salaries :)

Reuben

Site Supporter
Glad I bought my polarised Ray Bans off eBay yesterday........good price too

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Take it everyone will be giving Bobco a swerve over Easter then and not taking advantage of any discounts ☺☺☺

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Take it everyone will be giving Bobco a swerve over Easter then and not taking advantage of any discounts ☺☺☺

Depends if they have what I want at a price I'm happy with. Bobco are usually pretty good on the prices, but I'm just wondering if a price war will start just to get money in the till.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
No ban for me for a couple of reasons.

First it fulfills a need to those stuck at home, DIY, new hobby, old hobby needing supplies. Second it keeps part of the economy working. My sister in law runs a small craft shop. The shop is closed but she is getting telephone orders. Not generating anything like face to face but at least something.

The risks of infection are minimised as long as people are sensible. Yesterday I took delivery of an order placed before Lockdown. Courier left it on the doorstep and I picked it up with gloves and placed it in a safe place and will not need to touch it again for a few weeks.

For proof of delivery couriers are taking pictures of the recipient with the parcel.

PAB

Site Supporter
Got a nice shiny new swingtip delivered yesterday.

feldri

Site Supporter
Drennan Quick change beads arrived in the post this morning. Bought them off angling shop on ebay after the glowing recommendations on here. Well impressed. :)

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Just had a Daiwa n'zon hook length box delivered, essential if I tie a lot of hook lengths.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Share link. ?
Better this way - for me anyway.. Ray Ban Justin 4163 Polarised Sunglasses Blue Flash Lens. They’re on at £55 or best offer - I got them for £47.50. Not bad for brand new. Good luck.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Better this way - for me anyway.. Ray Ban Justin 4163 Polarised Sunglasses Blue Flash Lens. They’re on at £55 or best offer - I got them for £47.50. Not bad for brand new. Good luck.