should i use braid ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ian

Hull,Afghanistan
this time of year i usually use a maggot feeder with mono line....ive been told braid is better as you get more responsive bites....can any one give their views or the pros or cons please....im led to believe its quite pricey too...

ian

fishing_mad

it is quite pricey and it doesnt strech so it may snap with a feeder i use mono and its ok for me

[:)]delighted fisherman[:)]

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
To answer your question fully would take a book. I have been using braid now for 8 months now. So heres my short answer.
Braid has very little stretch approx 5% nylon 25-30%. So yes bites will show up better. The down side to this is that due to the non stretch properties snap offs can be common on the cast this I think is caused by loose coils leaving the reel and catching on a rod ring.
The risk of being snapped is greater to unless the clutch is set correctly.
To help its advisable to use braid rated at least twice the breaking strain of nylon you would normally use, this will be thinner than the nylon.
I would also suggest that for fishing at less than 30/40 yds mts nylon is best above these distances then braid has its uses.
To end braid is not the bee all and end all, its properties are so different from nylon it can be hard to alter your methods to adapt to this.
As to the cost theres lots of bargains available on line, one place to look is on ebay.

chill out go fishing

snakey

PAA COACH
One thing that has not been mentioned is the strike when using braid. Because it has very little stretch a full blown strike can result in catching a set of lips. Often all that is needed is to lift the rod out of the rest to set the hook.As essox20 mentioned crack offs can be a problem as I found out during a recent trip. I cracked off 3 times and was left with 20yds on the spool.I don`t think the line was tight enough on the spool and it knotted up on the cast. I have not replaced it yet so I can`t prove the theory.
As for price it is does seem expensive but because it does not rot it lasts a lot longer than mono.Best of luck with it

NOT TAKEN UP GOLF YET

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:I don`t think the line was tight enough on the spool and it knotted up on the cast

One method of loading braid onto spools is to put the braid in a bucket of water whilst you wind it on, this might help prevent coiling when casting [:)]

Dave

Triturus

So, if one was to fish a feeder across the far side of the Trent (actually how wide is it at Fiskerton) for chub and barbel, would 10lb braid be a better option than 10lb mono.

Cheers
Neil

nodding dog

alright ian, forget braid and forget standard mono mate for feeder fishing ian you can't beat preston innovations reflo direct mono its superb mate give it a try. it shows the bites as well as braid but it is slighty more forgiving, more of an in between of the other two, just i gentle short strike is all thats needed and the fish is on !! have a go see what you think [:D]

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Tritus in short NO I wouldnt go below 15lb BS if using braid on the Trent. One thing I did forget to mention about braid and snap offs. It seems that due to the limp qualities of braid it is the action of closing the bail arm by turning the handle that may be the cause of snap offs when casting.
I have noticed that doing this tends to throw a loop in the braid, this then I think catches a rod ring as you cast.
Its advisable then to manually close the bail arm and check line lay on the spool before casting.

chill out go fishing

scales

Vinny
I think that braid is all trail and error, some people love it others loathe it. I struggled with braid the first few times but after a while you begin to realise its a different type of fishing to mono, no striking just lifting into the fish and aviod crack offs by just having a quick line check before casting (particularly round the tip of your rod !!)But the biggest plus for braid is bite detection some of which you would'nt see on mono this time of year, plus the fact that playing fish on braid is an art that needs some practising.

Cheers,

Scales.

anyexcuse

Have been using braid for about three yrs now off & on. First 2yrs though had no confidence in it at all.This was because the first braid I bought(Bionic Dynacord)had a propensity to float.I once caught a 2lb bream on it 45degrees to my right(I'd cast straight out) which didnt register on the tip.Far happier now with Drennan Braid(6lb) that I've been using this year to the extent that I use it virtually all the time for my feeder work.Have experimented with a couple of set ups but now am happy with a lenth of 5lb nylon approx twice a rod length as a shock leader tied on with a 4 turn water knot.I replace the leader about once every 5 sessions. Havent experienced any crack-offs(yet)and seeing bites I Wouldnt have seen with mono(though I must admit Direct Mono that I also use comes a close second).

D.Gough@BDAC

yinski

how do u cut it scissors very poor ,or am i using cheap scissors.[:)]

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Braid - I love the stuff or at least some brands. Just get the same diameter you normally fish with rather than matching b/s. Or at least a higher b/s than you would with mono.

Pricy? Yes, sort of. A good braid will initially cost quite a bit more than a good mono. But - it will last just this side of forever. And when the stuff begins to fray and look a little ratty, you can take it off and put it back on the opposite way so the unused part is now on the outside. Since it doesn't tend to deteriorate with age, sunlight exposure, etc. it will be fine.

My personal favorite is PowerPro. But there are other good ones out there.

Cutting it can be a bit of a problem. You will need either a sharp knife or a pair of really good scissors. Visit a sewing shop for those.

Newt Vail

Status
Not open for further replies.