Should a mixed fishery close because the carp are spawning?

Griffo

Site Supporter
Ours just has, for next seven days or until reviewed, I’m all for it if it keeps a Healthy stock of fish.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
When I was a bailiff ,we used to check waters for signs of spawning fish ,
If any waters had fish spawning , we would close them and put a notice on the waters information board , Also on the relevent section on the club's forum ,and on the social media website and on a bailiffs WhatsApp group.
If anglers were fishing the waters at the time ,they were asked to pack up and leave the water, we would tell them of nearby waters that were still open . We got the odd grumble but all in all they were happy to do so .

Mothy1965

Site Supporter
When I was a bailiff ,we used to check waters for signs of spawning fish ,
If any waters had fish spawning , we would close them and put a notice on the waters information board , Also on the relevent section on the club's forum ,and on the social media website and on a bailiffs WhatsApp group.
If anglers were fishing the waters at the time ,they were asked to pack up and leave the water, we would tell them of nearby waters that were still open . We got the odd grumble but all in all they were happy to do so .
That's an approach I like, spawning doesn't fit into a "window" of time, it depends on water temperature surely? And maybe be a few other things but certainly not what we mere humans decide. I guess as different species spawn at different times it can get complicated, but as spawning fish don't tend to feed how much difference can it make? Although a few weeks off does allow us to do a few chores and keep other family members happier? Maybe a close season for us would be a better idea??? 🤣🤣

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
The reason carp are singled out is because they are a large and active species and fishing in the vicinity of spawning carp has an impact. I am sure spawning roach and bream aren’t affected in the same way.

At the end of the day on privately owned waters the fish are owned by the property owner and it is entirely up to them when they close and for what reason. Same applies to clubs where the waters are run by the committee on behalf of the members. It is for them to make the decision.

Having said that, ending the closed season on stillwaters does not seem to have had a detrimental impact on fish in general. As I say it is up to the owners or committee to decide what is in the best interest of their waters.

squimp

Site Supporter
Trying to think if I’ve ever heard of a fishery closing for it don’t think I have heard of it going beyond talk 🤔
Nearly all the Stillwater fisheries that I belong to close at short notice when the fish start to show signs of spawning. It’s in the fishery rules that the owner reserves the right to do so.

As has been said it’s about the fishery owners trying to protect their assets. A big carp could be worth several thousand pounds - so it makes sense to look after it while it is spawning and most vulnerable.

I’ve never bought a 2lb roach or a 5lb bream - but if I did neither would cost more than £100. I have bought small roach and I paid £5 per pound. That’s why enlightened fishery owners try and look after their big carp.

Godber

.Nobice and inventor of W@nkles
Site Supporter
Never had a problem fishing whilst the pigs are spawning. If they are peckish and fancy a munch then my bait is available. I've regularly turned up for matches at fisheries when the pigs are at it and have never been told it closed, thats just throwing money away.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Nearly all the Stillwater fisheries that I belong to close at short notice when the fish start to show signs of spawning. It’s in the fishery rules that the owner reserves the right to do so.

As has been said it’s about the fishery owners trying to protect their assets. A big carp could be worth several thousand pounds - so it makes sense to look after it while it is spawning and most vulnerable.

I’ve never bought a 2lb roach or a 5lb bream - but if I did neither would cost more than £100. I have bought small roach and I paid £5 per pound. That’s why enlightened fishery owners try and look after their big carp.
Interesting stuff I’ve genuinely never heard of it unless I’ve forgotten. Our club lakes are very much carp and tench waters and people ask if it’s going to close each year but the club just say no as there’s other stuff that isn’t spawning to catch. Maybe if the carp, tench and bream all went at the same time which I suppose could theoretically happen things might be different but would never happen for just one species.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
If a genuinely mixed fishery stillwater were to shut for every species present spawning, they could easily be shut from February through to August. Pike start really early in the year and tench can still be at it at the end of July.

I'm involved in a mixed fishery syndicate. We don't shut it for any spawning activity. We do monitor for activity and advise people of areas of the lake and species they should avoid. Individual members may deem one species more important than others, but the syndicate does not. Rather than going down the route of making lowest common denominator rules, members are trusted not to be idiots during spawning events. If they prove to be idiotic, or downright dangerous, their membership is likely to be short lived. Obviously, this way of doing things may not be possible on a more open access venue.

A big carp can indeed be very valuable. However, per pound, they are not the most expensive fish we've bought. Decent tench (cormorant proof size) cost a fortune and are pretty difficult to source. I would expect to be able to source a 30lb+ carp with relative ease. I'd not fancy my chances of sourcing 5lb+ tench in a hurry.

John Step

Site Supporter
If a genuinely mixed fishery stillwater were to shut for every species present spawning, they could easily be shut from February through to August. Pike start really early in the year and tench can still be at it at the end of July.

I'm involved in a mixed fishery syndicate. We don't shut it for any spawning activity. We do monitor for activity and advise people of areas of the lake and species they should avoid. Individual members may deem one species more important than others, but the syndicate does not. Rather than going down the route of making lowest common denominator rules, members are trusted not to be idiots during spawning events. If they prove to be idiotic, or downright dangerous, their membership is likely to be short lived. Obviously, this way of doing things may not be possible on a more open access venue.

A big carp can indeed be very valuable. However, per pound, they are not the most expensive fish we've bought. Decent tench (cormorant proof size) cost a fortune and are pretty difficult to source. I would expect to be able to source a 30lb+ carp with relative ease. I'd not fancy my chances of sourcing 5lb+ tench in a hurry.
Yes, last time we sourced tench, I think we paid £18 per pound + delivery + VAT. That was a few years ago.

badgerale

I went down to my club water after bream and tench, but the carp were hard at it.

I gave up after an hour, not so much because i was worried about the carp welfare but because the hot sun, the disturbance they cause, and i'm guessing that fish do eat carp eggs.... it didn't seem worth it.

squimp

Site Supporter

Further to the above; I got a text today announcing the closure of my syndicate carp/tench fishery. Probably for 2 - 3 weeks.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
When I fished a few club lakes back in Wales, including my home club, the sections of lake that held the spawning fish were deemed to be ‘out of bounds’ and we repegged it accordingly.

I see no problem with closing lakes to preserve fish stocks.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
When other species other than carp spawn, the carp will feed on spawn and visa versa so most species are hard to catch.
The reason fisheries close when carp spawn is they are very easy to foul hook.
Closing waters for over a week - pointless, spawning takes a few days, if temp drops they stop and may spawn again once temp rises. Some years (exceptional) that may spawn several times but with breaks in between as eggs/milt reproduced.
I think it all depends on spawning grounds, size of water and species/stock density.
Another factor is who fishes venue.
Proper anglers would not fish for a spawning species or even a venue when any fish are spawning. The noddy brigade could not care less.

alsur

Site Supporter
Do Carp spawning in margins effect Bream or Tench feeding away from margins in open water, there are always calls for fisheries to be closed if Carp are spawning but not other species. People just need to be sensible and not target areas where fish are spawning.

baggy

Mark Saunders
Stafford Moor has a rule of no margin fishing or fishing tight to islands when carp are spawning

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Closing a few pegs or margins known for the spawning does seem a much better idea than closing a whole place