Should a mixed fishery close because the carp are spawning?

Browner

Site Supporter
So here’s the scenario. Imagine a mixed fishery (carp, bream, roach, perch etc) and the carp start spawning. Should it be closed. The carp anglers say yes, fish welfare is important, give them the time and peace they require. The pleasure angler says hold on, I don’t want to fish for your carp, I’m here to catch the bream, roach etc keep the fishery open. Adding to the debate, if it was obvious the bream were spawning and the carp had finished would the carp angler be happy to close the water. It’s an interesting debate.

squimp

Site Supporter
Yes.

I’ve got a season ticket for Horseshoe lake at Lechlade this season. Just for the tench.

All the good tench swims are closed and have been for weeks. Too bad, fish welfare cones first.

Maybe next year.

chris1967

Really Really
Site Supporter
I saw a guy on a match fish into spawning fish , rung owner to sort the sad t__t out.
I know places that will shut though as well

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Completey stupid to shut it for one species and not others might as well impose the closed season on it if you do that. You won’t catch many spawning fish anyway so even in the event that someone tries they won’t get very far with it.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Account Locked
Fish don't know when the close season is and its rigid. So a pointless exercise..

Fishery owners pay the money and protect their assets so closure is the best way to go.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
On my estate lake they cordoned off the shallows this year. I thought it was for a swan nesting, wrong! Carp spawning! I guess it what's meant by mixed fishery. Some like Chard Reservoir when I was there last year, they just stopped Carp Anglers, as Bream anglers unlikely to catch them.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Fish don’t know indeed but closing it for one species but not others is pointless got to be consistent. Some carpers asked if our club lakes would close for the carp spawn and were somewhat ridiculed by the club for it as they said they’d have to close from start of April to end of June to cover the spawning periods of all the species in there if they were to go down that route which is the period that they lakes see the most anglers.

Carp aside which do seem a law onto themselves as to when they spawn you can generally be pretty sure when most species will spawn though so if you did want to go down the closure route the closed season would cover virtually all the spawning at least as much as it does on rivers. Would strike me as a bit pointless though given years of no closed season has done no harm to most lakes.

JLK

On one venue I fish you can't fish within 3m from the bank when they are spawning.
Seems to work well.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Account Locked
You seem to have missed the point Silverfisher.
Fishery owners will protect their assets and for most of them be it match or specimen,Carp and Tench are the valuable draw.

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
So here’s the scenario. Imagine a mixed fishery (carp, bream, roach, perch etc) and the carp start spawning. Should it be closed. The carp anglers say yes, fish welfare is important, give them the time and peace they require. The pleasure angler says hold on, I don’t want to fish for your carp, I’m here to catch the bream, roach etc keep the fishery open. Adding to the debate, if it was obvious the bream were spawning and the carp had finished would the carp angler be happy to close the water. It’s an interesting debate.
It's their fishery and whichever option they choose they will be criticised by one group who hold an opposing point of view. A no win scenario for them. Even if you try and introduce a temporary "no margin" fishing rule, you still have to police it to make sure the discipline is being followed.
Personally, I'd lean towards the support of fish care and protecting my stock by closing the fishery water. There is one club lake (and day ticket water) I fish which has mixed species. This closes for the month of June every year. I have no problem with that

Dave gsx1400

I totally disagree with closing a fishery simply beacause Carp may be spawning. In my book there is far too much emphasis on Carp nowadays and all of the `Snowflakes` associated with the species. I`ve absolutely no doubt that the Angling Trust has something to do with this, (they seem to have turned into something akin to Traffic England, ie, a rule to themselves benefitting nothing!). There are also the fishery owners insurers too...... . Don`t get me wrong, all fish should be respected and treated with care, and I enjoy catching the species, but Carp are probably being singled out because of their value, not to mention `gate receipts` as a result of their presence. By way of illustrating my point, my local club has literally just banned floating bread due to `advice` from the A.T. But they haven`t banned the use of bread as a non-floating bait!!! Its madness.
We either endure a blanket close season again or we don`t, but lets not be putting the importance of one species above all others.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Account Locked
"but Carp are probably being singled out because of their value,"

You have answered your own post.
For most it's a business not a charity so they look after what makes them money or benefits the club/syndicate.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
@Zerkalo they shut card completely this year for spawning, think it was for a couple weeks thankfully my visits were not affected.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Isle of Weight again Steve?
Isle of 'Weight'? :LOL: I hope so. (y) Going to Charmouth, Dorset again... 30 mins away from Chard Res, Somerset. Though it would be nice to go to Isle of Wight to see my brother.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Trying to think if I’ve ever heard of a fishery closing for it don’t think I have heard of it going beyond talk 🤔