Shotting thoughts?

Rick123

Site Supporter
I fished today for carp with a .5 float and double bulked with the main shotting about 6'' from the hook. Just over depth by maybe 2''. The tow was strong, and bites a bit funny to be honest. Several of the carp were caught with the smallest dip of the float. Anyone know if i could have shotted any better maybe. I did need the .5 for the tow and wind. Thanks always looking to learn guys when its the pole. I did catch 9 fish and only two were really positive, Thanks Rich.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Were you on the pole or waggler ? If the tow is bad on the wag, use a longer float. With a pole, try a small back shot.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Some variables here that we don't know, lets start with depth and bait, both of which would be factored into my thinking.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Were you on the pole or waggler ? If the tow is bad on the wag, use a longer float. With a pole, try a small back shot.

I had the back shot, but that would not have made a difference to the bites Tricky? Four feet, luncheon meat and pellets, Cheers.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Reading a book by Billy Lane from many years ago, he would trot the swim on a lake. Maybe in the conditions you fished, a fairly static bait looked unnatural.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Don't be afraid to go for a heavier float. I would be using a 1g float in poor conditions in 4ft.

As has been said, experiment with the tow moving the float. Feed will almost certainly be ending up down tow so you need to find the spot the fish are finding the feed. Let the float drift then hold it for a while before letting it go again. You will sort out what the fish want doing this.

A static bait may not look unnatural because the bottom layer of water is probably still or nearly so. But movement can induce bites as the fish will see the bait moving and possibly want to take it before it drifts towards another fish. Competition will overcome a lot of caution from the fish. It can also pay to go up to six inches over if the tow is strong.

I find little difference between a strung out pattern and an olivette & droppers. But when conditions are really poor and the tow strong I will concentrate the string of shot in the bottom half of the rig.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
I am not a fond lover of meat when it tows I imagine it drifting all over.
If its bad I usually lay 6" on and fish a heavy bait ( but "trotting" through can also work with a tow )
Shotting is usually a spread bulk with maybe a single dropper. ( also have a shot under the float if it is not wire )

Rick123

Site Supporter
Don't be afraid to go for a heavier float. I would be using a 1g float in poor conditions in 4ft.

As has been said, experiment with the tow moving the float. Feed will almost certainly be ending up down tow so you need to find the spot the fish are finding the feed. Let the float drift then hold it for a while before letting it go again. You will sort out what the fish want doing this.

A static bait may not look unnatural because the bottom layer of water is probably still or nearly so. But movement can induce bites as the fish will see the bait moving and possibly want to take it before it drifts towards another fish. Competition will overcome a lot of caution from the fish. It can also pay to go up to six inches over if the tow is strong.

I find little difference between a strung out pattern and an olivette & droppers. But when conditions are really poor and the tow strong I will concentrate the string of shot in the bottom half of the rig.

Thanks mate, I actually thought the .5 was big, but your right, if it was a river I'd be on quite a heavy float. I must have been doing something right, but will try "trotting" down the peg and a 1 gram job next time. I expect as the weather gets worse towards winter I'll need to step up a bit. Thanks Richard.

Thanks Paul. I'll make up some with a wire stem, sounds like a good idea. Richard.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I should add that I use carbon stemmed floats. That possibly means that I use a heavier float than if the stems were wire.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
try spreading your bulk......they act like a sail and water moves differently at different levels. So a spread shot can sometimes equalize the push/pull on the float.

Also don't be afraid to go a little overdepth and lay a shot or 2 on the deck like an anchor.

I don't disagree with the premise of using heavier floats to get good presentation but don't overdo this. Look for the right weight float needed to do the job with the mantra of trying to use the lightest float you can.

And as mentioned sometimes "trotting" the bait can be deadly so experiment

Rick123

Site Supporter
try spreading your bulk......they act like a sail and water moves differently at different levels. So a spread shot can sometimes equalize the push/pull on the float.

Also don't be afraid to go a little overdepth and lay a shot or 2 on the deck like an anchor.

I don't disagree with the premise of using heavier floats to get good presentation but don't overdo this. Look for the right weight float needed to do the job with the mantra of trying to use the lightest float you can.

And as mentioned sometimes "trotting" the bait can be deadly so experiment

I'll try that Roy thanks. I've just ordered some Guru wire stem pingers for a pattern to copy, so will make some up. Again thanks mate. Out of interest is this tow like a river, slower at the bottom, or does it remain the same?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Just a little pointer if you did not know ( I'm thinking you do actually ) but, as meat dries it gets lighter in weight. Always submerge feed and hook baits in water, in a bait tub on your side tray. It only takes a few minutes for freshly cut meat to want to float. Its possible your hook bait may have been ' wafting ' around when you thought it was stationary. Just a thought.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Just a little pointer if you did not know ( I'm thinking you do actually ) but, as meat dries it gets lighter in weight. Always submerge feed and hook baits in water, in a bait tub on your side tray. It only takes a few minutes for freshly cut meat to want to float. Its possible your hook bait may have been ' wafting ' around when you thought it was stationary. Just a thought.

Ah, Mick so that was it buddy, I did foul hook two fish in open water and wondered why? I bet that was the reason for that, I'm always very happy to learn, cheers. I could try a heavier hook too?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Ah, Mick so that was it buddy, I did foul hook two fish in open water and wondered why? I bet that was the reason for that, I'm always very happy to learn, cheers. I could try a heavier hook too?
It was just a thought Rick but, if you leave a few pieces of meat out in the sun just for a few minutes then throw them in the edge and watch you 'll see that they sink at different rates. Some will actually float in mid water. This can actually work in your favour some days as a slightly buoyant piece can counter ballance your hook meaning you can use a larger hook than you would normally get away with. Commercial anglers have used this very tactic for margin and mud lines for many years. Good luck pal. ?

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
I'll try that Roy thanks. I've just ordered some Guru wire stem pingers for a pattern to copy, so will make some up. Again thanks mate. Out of interest is this tow like a river, slower at the bottom, or does it remain the same?
tow in lakes will get affected by:

Depth; wind; temperature, lake bed; bank profiles, surrounding vegetation.
Surface skim will be more than say the middle/bottom layers and will most likely be opposite to the undertow but its a captive lake, the water doesn't flow out and away so the water movement must equal out somewhere hence spreadshot help

Rivers tend to flow generally in one direction ( tidal aside) so already have a "driver" but can also be affected by the above

Fred Davis

I fished a southern forums match at willow park I drew on the big lake and won that, however Giles Cochrane beat me by winning the match he had drawn on middle, after the match I got chatting to Giles as he decimated everyone around him, he had started on the pole but the tow was so strong it was flowing at stick float pace, I think we have all been on pegs with heavy tow so I asked Giles what he had done to make such a difference he said that after trotting through he kept getting iffy bites and despite even laying on by a few inches he new it was all wrong, so he went two feet over depth and held on the bites were sail away's and he never looked back. Obviously well pleased Giles had sorted it but a slightly deflated as I had the best bream weight on willow and a 15lb carp on top hooked it at 13meters and it swam straight towards me and into the net, the second one a lot bigger went straight to the middle breaking me lol so I suppose I can say I had my chance.

Rick123

Site Supporter
tow in lakes will get affected by:

Depth; wind; temperature, lake bed; bank profiles, surrounding vegetation.
Surface skim will be more than say the middle/bottom layers and will most likely be opposite to the undertow but its a captive lake, the water doesn't flow out and away so the water movement must equal out somewhere hence spreadshot help

Rivers tend to flow generally in one direction ( tidal aside) so already have a "driver" but can also be affected by the above

So maybe a bigger shot toward the top and finer lower down, like a river shotting shirt-button maybe?

Rick123

Site Supporter
To be honest the only time (before I got into commercials) I was bothered by tow was when fishing for specimen roach on a big reservoir. I had to use a 2 ounce maggot feeder fished helicopter style to combat the flow, 1980s I'd guess?

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
So maybe a bigger shot toward the top and finer lower down, like a river shotting shirt-button maybe?
its not something i've done to be honest. I spread out typically #8 or #9 stotz.
What does help is backshotting and this may mean multiple #8's to steady the rig