Shotting suggestions

Philnun87

This may seem like a silly question, but I have always used Stotz for shotting my rigs and feel that shot would be better suited for certain situations.

I bought some ballerbini and have tried putting gripping forceps on the line before adding the shot so that there is a kink and dragging the shot over this so that it opens them slightly and doesn’t damaged the line (I think Alan Scotthorn did a video about it). However when I was using stots all my rigs just incorporated floats on the line round a winder, I used to shot them before the match on the bank once I had an idea of what shotting pattern I needed as per the conditions etc. Doing it at home beforehand and having to pull the shots up the line is good but it doesn’t allow you to make a decision on what shotting pattern is best for the day as your rigs have already been made up.

do people generally add shot on the bank and is this ok in terms of not damaging the line, firstly when you apply them, and secondly if you want to move them?

Any tips on how neat to do it would be much appreciated?

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I can honestly say I've never had a rig snap where I've applied the Stotz / Shot and I've been doing it that way my entire life.

I can understand being concerned on fine lines. But when you're fishing 4, 5, 6, 7lb+ lines I just cant see it having a detrimental effect providing you're not recklessly applying them to the line.

I've seen the video by Alan Scutthorn, and it just looks like uneeded hassle from my point of view. I think it's also worth bearing in mind hes up there being the best of the best, so I can understand him wanting everything unrealistically fine tuned. Not only that, but it looks really good on camera too.

That's not to say it doesnt effect the line at all, it does and this can be seen after applying shot, I just question how much it really compromises the line.

I'd just go by experience if I were you and stop looking into it so deeply. If you're getting line snaps where you've applied stot or shot, then change the way you're making your rigs. If you're not having any issues, keep doing what you're doing. This goes for moving shot about on the bank too.

Philnun87

I can honestly say I've never had a rig snap where I've applied the Stotz / Shot and I've been doing it that way my entire life.

I can understand being concerned on fine lines. But when you're fishing 4, 5, 6, 7lb+ lines I just cant see it having a detrimental effect providing you're not recklessly applying them to the line.

I've seen the video by Alan Scutthorn, and it just looks like uneeded hassle from my point of view. I think it's also worth bearing in mind hes up there being the best of the best, so I can understand him wanting everything unrealistically fine tuned. Not only that, but it looks really good on camera too.

That's not to say it doesnt effect the line at all, it does and this can be seen after applying shot, I just question how much it really compromises the line.

I'd just go by experience if I were you and stop looking into it so deeply. If you're getting line snaps where you've applied stot or shot, then change the way you're making your rigs. If you're not having any issues, keep doing what you're doing. This goes for moving shot about on the bank too.
Thanks a lot, I was just keen to know if other people set rigs up on the bank, there seems a trend for people to shot their floats at home but don’t see how you can adapt the shotting then.

I did think that about Alan’s video that all the top anglers can’t do that as they are constantly changing their shotting patterns throughout matches to suit

I don’t tend to fish below 0.16 for mainline (obviously hooklengths are lighter) so as you say should be fine

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I use mostly stotz but will use shot now & again. I tend to make my rigs at home according to the floats shotting capacity. However it seems that you always need to add a bit of trimming shot on the bank. I just put this above the shot I've already applied. If I'm using a spread bulk for example with shot half-inch apart, I'll put the trimming shot a half inch above my top shot. This avoids having to slide them up the line.

Philnun87

I use mostly stotz but will use shot now & again. I tend to make my rigs at home according to the floats shotting capacity. However it seems that you always need to add a bit of trimming shot on the bank. I just put this above the shot I've already applied. If I'm using a spread bulk for example with shot half-inch apart, I'll put the trimming shot a half inch above my top shot. This avoids having to slide them up the line.
Thank you. How do you know that you are going to need a spread bulk shotting pattern however before turning up at the lake as opposed to a bulk and two droppers or shot spread out across the whole rig. If you do it beforehand do you not find that it is hard to change as you end up having to remove shot and damage the line if your original shotting pattern was not right?

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Thank you. How do you know that you are going to need a spread bulk shotting pattern however before turning up at the lake as opposed to a bulk and two droppers or shot spread out across the whole rig. If you do it beforehand do you not find that it is hard to change as you end up having to remove shot and damage the line if your original shotting pattern was not right?
If I'm after F1's I normally use a spread bulk & if I'm after carp, I'll use a bulk & a couple of droppers. In the winter when I'm mainly fishing for silvers then I'll spread all the shot.
I'm no expert though....there's people on here a lot more qualified than me. However I do find with stotz, it's much easier to move them & not damaging to the line.

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
My pellet rigs for bottom fishing I use shot as I don't need to move them .
Slow fall rigs I use stotz as you can move them about .
So don't need to move I use shot
Need to move I use stotz .
Simples .

RMNDIL

Just because you make up and shot a rig at home doesn't mean that they will all stay where they are. You move them around on the day to suit. Even on 0.10mm and even 0.08mm.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Ballabeni are quite hard shot. I do similar to AS but without crimping the line, just have a foot or two of spare line to start them moving on, then they will move easier, but I rarely move shot as I either have a bulk or strung depending on which float it is so can decide that beforehand.

Philnun87

Thanks everyone,
So do people have floats set up as a bulk and 2 droppers, then another rig with a spread bulk and another with them completely spread through the rig? Just conscious that ends up with a lot of rigs.

the size of shot used for each of these shotting patterns will be different and I know shot can be hard to remove without damaging the line if you wanted to completely redo the shotting.

good to hear people’s thoughts?

Philnun87

Just because you make up and shot a rig at home doesn't mean that they will all stay where they are. You move them around on the day to suit. Even on 0.10mm and even 0.08mm.
That’s good to know, I thought shot were damage line that low in diameter

gixer 13

Site Supporter
If i was using a bulk i would be using a wire stem float as not looking for bites on the drop so like the float to settle straight away. Strung bulk and strung out would be using a carbon or glass stemmed float as looking to get indiactions at all depths so dont use the same floats for different applications so no conflict for me.

Philnun87

If i was using a bulk i would be using a wire stem float as not looking for bites on the drop so like the float to settle straight away. Strung bulk and strung out would be using a carbon or glass stemmed float as looking to get indiactions at all depths so dont use the same floats for different applications so no conflict for me.
Thanks a lot, that was what I was thinking. It is carbon stems (I’m definitely over thinking it 😩) that are causing me the issues as sometime I have them bulk and 2 droppers so that it is a natural fall and other times shirt button style (much smaller shot). Maybe just make up rigs if both in for my carbons

RMNDIL

That’s good to know, I thought shot were damage line that low in diameter
You still need to be careful.

I pinch my shot on the line (however many the rig needs) then move ALL of the shot up to wherever I want them. Then I cut away the line I originally pinched them onto as that will have been flattened and damaged. Then I tie my loop and move any shot back down to the knot of the loop etc so they are where I want them to be to start with. If you pinch shot on quite firm and then slide them up and down (wet that part of the line if you need to) you will find with decent soft shot the line will actually get easier to slide thereafter. Downside could be odd shot moving when you don't want them to. For example catch a proper lump, play it 'hard' and stretch the line and the rig can come back with shot in various places. But i'm not fishing for carp and wouldn't be with 0.08/0.10mm anyway.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
You still need to be careful.

I pinch my shot on the line (however many the rig needs) then move ALL of the shot up to wherever I want them. Then I cut away the line I originally pinched them onto as that will have been flattened and damaged. Then I tie my loop and move any shot back down to the knot of the loop etc so they are where I want them to be to start with. If you pinch shot on quite firm and then slide them up and down (wet that part of the line if you need to) you will find with decent soft shot the line will actually get easier to slide thereafter. Downside could be odd shot moving when you don't want them to. For example catch a proper lump, play it 'hard' and stretch the line and the rig can come back with shot in various places. But i'm not fishing for carp and wouldn't be with 0.08/0.10mm anyway.
I have over 50 rigs made up ,duplicates of different shotting patterns and different styles ,sizes ,uses but you dont need anywhere need that many ,as a match angler i just want everything ready and to be able to change rigs within a minute or so , i do like stotz ,especially for carp rigs ,you can mive them easy without damage to line , shots i believe are better for silvers rigs because they look less obtrusive and in my opinion its a slightly better presentation , i maybe talking rubbish but thats my opinion . Stotz are much easier to apply, sometimes i have a mixture shot and stotz for trimming the float on the bank ,i find that good .

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Thanks a lot, I was just keen to know if other people set rigs up on the bank, there seems a trend for people to shot their floats at home but don’t see how you can adapt the shotting then.

I did think that about Alan’s video that all the top anglers can’t do that as they are constantly changing their shotting patterns throughout matches to suit

I don’t tend to fish below 0.16 for mainline (obviously hooklengths are lighter) so as you say should be fine
Phil. I'm not so sure about anglers changing shotting patterns on the bank as most good anglers will have several top kits set up with different shotting patterns to negate the requirement to move shot about, i.e. three rigs one a bulk and 2 droppers, one shirt button and one with a bottom third spread to cover the different scenario's.

As for shot/stotz this year I've had my shot moved about more than normal so I'll probably be going back to shot even though they do occasionally ping off. I haven't suffered any main line breakages I can put down to shot.

Griffo

Site Supporter
I Now use Stotz on all my rigs, and I only use 8 and 10’s I do use Olivetti‘s on some .75g and above but, I just find it simpler a bulk of number 8 and a couple of no 10 droppers or string it out a bit, mostly using glass stems, on the carbon stems then same principal 8‘s and 10’s, I also find the Preston stotz pliers are pretty good at taking off a stotz without damaging the line, also I find them easier to see and put on than the equivalent 8 and 10 shot these days.