No.12 (0.064g)-+
No.14 (0.10g)-+
No.16 (0.125g)-+
No.18 (0.187g)-+
No.20 (0.25g)-+
Total Weight (g):0.119
  • 7 x Styl No.8

Angler's Shotting Calculator
After joining a forum recently, I noticed a thread about a useful online "shotting calculator" which appears to be no longer available:
MooPoo Fishing Calculator
I found the archived website on the "Wayback Machine" and since I'm a web developer, I decided to make one myself.

Instructions:​

• Adjust the number of weights by type/size. You can do this in many ways:
    Hover over the input and use your scroll wheel, click the +/- buttons, use the up/down keyboard keys or use gestures on a touch-screen device.
  • As you change the number of weights, the "Total Weight" (in grams) will be updated.
  • You should match the "Total Weight" to your float's shotting weight.
  • You now know how many weights of which size, to use with your float.
I hope it's useful to you :)

© 2014

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Toggle navigationAngler's Shotting Calculator

No.7 (0.010g)-+
No.8 (0.017g)-+
No.9 (0.025g)-+
No.10 (0.035g)-+
No.11 (0.048g)-+
No.12 (0.064g)-+
No.14 (0.10g)-+
No.16 (0.125g)-+
No.18 (0.187g)-+
No.20 (0.25g)-+
Total Weight (g):0.119
  • 7 x Styl No.8

Angler's Shotting Calculator
After joining a forum recently, I noticed a thread about a useful online "shotting calculator" which appears to be no longer available:
MooPoo Fishing Calculator
I found the archived website on the "Wayback Machine" and since I'm a web developer, I decided to make one myself.

Instructions:​

• Adjust the number of weights by type/size. You can do this in many ways:
    Hover over the input and use your scroll wheel, click the +/- buttons, use the up/down keyboard keys or use gestures on a touch-screen device.
  • As you change the number of weights, the "Total Weight" (in grams) will be updated.
  • You should match the "Total Weight" to your float's shotting weight.
  • You now know how many weights of which size, to use with your float.
I hope it's useful to you :)

© 2014
Got it lol ,im a heathen, i know roughly and add shot until i like it in my cut down 2lt coke bottle 🍼 😋 😅

robert d

Site Supporter
Ive been a number 8 and 10 stotz man for ages ,ive ordered more 9 ,11,12

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Evening Robert,

You are in the same place I was four years ago, so I hope the following helps.

Shotting Calculator is here, just make sure you change the weights tab at the top to Shot 1 instead of Styl.

At the end of the day it's always a bit of trial and error - I find a Dosapiombo very useful for shotting pole floats, I just cut the top of an empty large plastic coke bottle insert the float into the Dosapiombo and add the necessary weight(s) to get the float to sit how you like it. It's also handy to keep a number of the smaller shot 11's & 12's in your seatbox to use as trimming shot under the float to get the float to sit just right when your on the bank.

One other thing just because the guide states 4 X 14 - 0.4g use 6 x 8 shot, feel free to use smaller shot up to the same total weight, I very rarely use No 8 shot unless it's a float set up with a bulk shot close to the hook link. As in lots of things in angling there are very few definitive answers treat the guides as just that a set of guides not a set of laws.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
When i get my garage finally clear ,if daughter does finally move out im going to get a proper shotting tube ,sod the expense 😆
Kids are like boomerangs Robert. My daughter keeps coming back. I swear we’re gonna move and not tell her one day. 🤣🤣
Can you still get shotting tubes ? Not seen one for years. My old dog knocked my last one over and let me tell you ... cellotape does not repair a glass tube. 🙄

robert d

Site Supporter
Evening Robert,

Shotting Calculator is here, just make sure you change the weights tab at the top to Shot 1 instead of Styl.

At the end of the day it's always a bit of trial and error - I find a Dosapiombo very useful for shotting pole floats, I just cut the top of an empty large plastic coke bottle insert the float into the Dosapiombo and add the necessary weight(s) to get the float to sit how you like it. It's also handy to keep a number of the smaller shot 11's & 12's in your seatbox to use as trimming shot under the float to get the float to sit just right when your on the bank.

One other thing just because the guide states 4 X 14 - 0.4g use 6 x 8 shot, feel free to use smaller shot up to the same total weight, I very rarely use No 8 shot unless it's a float set up with a bulk shot close to the hook link. As in lots of things in angling there are very few definitive answers treat the guides as just that a set of guides not a set of laws.
Cheers scribe ,

robert d

Site Supporter
Kids are like boomerangs Robert. My daughter keeps coming back. I swear we’re gonna move and not tell her one day. 🤣🤣
Can you still get shotting tubes ? Not seen one for years. My old dog knocked my last one over and let me tell you ... cellotape does not repair a glass tube. 🙄
Willy worms have them,, she will never move ,she says she will but its to easy here . 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Evening Robert,

Haha Robert has been fishing for years @Scribe, he knows how to shot a float blindfolded 😂😂

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Willy worms have them,, she will never move ,she says she will but its to easy here . 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
Willy worms is my local tackle shop Robert. I’m stunned. I’ve never noticed one. Saying that. I wouldn’t put one out on display if you’ve folk like me walking around. 🙄

SeanB

Site Supporter

robert d

Site Supporter
Willy worms is my local tackle shop Robert. I’m stunned. I’ve never noticed one. Saying that. I wouldn’t put one out on display if you’ve folk like me walking around. 🙄
I saw it on their website £30 i think ,i think its perspex