Shotting Patterns

Marker50

Site Supporter
Ta mate.is for first one in a group.
So im not putting 10 or so shot on in tube. then trying to move them into position.

JLK

If you can find the depth that the species of fish you are fishing for are feeding at then no, I'm convinced it doesn't matter.

This is why F1 anglers have numerous rigs set up at different depths.

One of the best squatt Anglers I know advised me to fish a bulk/double bulk down when fishing squatt for roach to get the bait down into the fishes eye line/feeding zone as quick as you could so they couldnt inspect it.

Coupled with the correct feeding pattern this method can out fish on the drop strung out rigs. Give a fish a chance to inspect the hook bait and it will ignore it. That's why you almost always usually get a bite when lifting and dropping a rig. It's an instant bite usually.

Also another reason why the double bulk rig is good for skimmers. Same principle.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you can find the depth that the species of fish you are fishing for are feeding at then no, I'm convinced it doesn't matter.

This is why F1 anglers have numerous rigs set up at different depths.

One of the best squatt Anglers I know advised me to fish a bulk/double bulk down when fishing squatt for roach to get the bait down into the fishes eye line/feeding zone as quick as you could so they couldnt inspect it.

Coupled with the correct feeding pattern this method can out fish on the drop strung out rigs. Give a fish a chance to inspect the hook bait and it will ignore it. That's why you almost always usually get a bite when lifting and dropping a rig. It's an instant bite usually.

Also another reason why the double bulk rig is good for skimmers. Same principle.
The best whip angler I know, favours this approach at the start of a match

he had time once to give my whip rigs a good look over and advised me to move certain oli's-bulks further down to get the bait downthrough the water quicker, so as he said "the fish are chasing it"

got a whole rig tray tied as he advised, and normally set at least two whips up with the deepfast rig on them, switching to proper through the waters if required

baggy

Mark Saunders
I think shotting patterns are down to what you want to catch but in reality it is down to how the fish want the bait presented. A bulk and two droppers, spread bulk, spaced shot, reverse on the drop and several different styles of double bulking all work but is is down to the angler to work out what is best

RMNDIL

....get the bait down into the fishes eye line/feeding zone as quick as you could so they couldnt inspect it.
I can remember fishing the Nene in P'Boro for skimmers with B&J balled in GB + leam (WL final practices etc) and if you fished olivette + droppers and lowered it in 'normally' and waited bites were few. Move olivette up and spread droppers = bites were few. Fish off the deck = bites were almost non-existent. But lower the rig in vertically and slowly holding the rig up and lowering it at your speed and then after it settled lift it back up some 20cm - 30cm and slowly lower it again vertically bites were much more regular and much more positive. You would think the light, spread and slowly falling droppers pattern would work but it never did. A small difference which made a big difference. The fish were there all of the time.

JLK

Good post RMNDIL. 👍🏻
Totally agree with that. It does contradict the bomb it past them methodology to force them to take the bait, but again, depending on what you are feeding and fishing for, each method has its place.

The way you describe the B & J method, I mentioned in another post re.hooklength sizes and mentioned a very similar technique when bread fishing or fishing over balls of groundbait.

It's also really no different to how alot of good carp anglers feed and fish pellet for carp.

Quite simple techniques on the face of it, but we are all guilty of overcomplicating things. Well I know I do at times. 😃