Shotting on a Float set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob27

peg nine
Hi all,
A few q's i need answering

Is there a general rule of thumb when putting bulk shot on a float set up i.e. should the bulk shot be over or under half depth?

Should any shot be put on hooklength? if so is there a max no. of shot that can be put on hooklength? How do you know how long to make a hooklength - is there a rule dependent on the depth of water?

thanks for your help

MALC

Rob you'll get a few different answers to these so here goes with my answers,

Every occasion is diferent so it pays to play around a bit with the location of your bulk shot untill you know what the fish want on the day as some times you'll need it just a few inches from the hook when after Gudgeon on the cut, other times you'll need it at about half depth to get through a surface tow.
Normaly though most people set the bulk at between half and three quarters but will move it if the fish want it different.

Regards putting shot on a hook length i've never had a problem with putting shot on any hook length although you must put them on carefully and not to tight so as not to damage fine diametre lines. The coated shot are better than none coated personaly i use the one's made by Sensas but most other companies make them.

For pole work all my hook lengths are the same length and that is 5 inches long.
I make them all this size as if i have to change i know the next is identical.
You dont need long hook lengths on pole rigs as the elastic is your cushion rather than the line.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com bounce.gif

Edited by - MALC on 19 April 2002 3:39:57 PM

scouse

'River Man'
hi rob
what kind of floats are you
refering to waggler, canal, or pole
dave (scouse)

http://home.planet.nl/~kampf011/smilies/mickey.gif

rob27

peg nine