Shotting heavy (10-25 g) lollipop floats

Koha14

Fishing on deep (3-5 m @13 m pole) Northern rivers with strong flow. Having an issue getting proper bites on flat float. Mainly fishing for silvers and bream up to 2kg. I made my rigs according flat float introducing Will Raison's video where 15g rig consist of around 30 cm hooklenght, first bulk around 0.4g (no. 8s), 20 cm cap, second bulk of no. 8s (around 0.6 g), 20cm cap and 14g olivette. I suspect that small bulks are too light to get nice positive bites. I fish from the bottom (20 cm overdepth). Secondly, is there even any benefit using numerous no. 8s or maybe should i use just single 0.5-2 g weights instead since in my region it's legal? I wonder if rig with heavier droppers: 1.5 g, 20cm, 3.5 g , 20 cm and 10g bulk on 15 lollipop would give better results or it will rather cause more misses? I got some improvement when replaced hooklenght with shorter one (20 cm) but i still feel there's room to improve.

buygoodtackle

I would be tempted to use larger shot, the bulk of no8s will be quite long and catch the flow more, a single heavier shot will not be as affected by the fast flow.

ulladubulla

Luke D.
Site Supporter
Fishing on deep (3-5 m @13 m pole) Northern rivers with strong flow. Having an issue getting proper bites on flat float. Mainly fishing for silvers and bream up to 2kg. I made my rigs according flat float introducing Will Raison's video where 15g rig consist of around 30 cm hooklenght, first bulk around 0.4g (no. 8s), 20 cm cap, second bulk of no. 8s (around 0.6 g), 20cm cap and 14g olivette. I suspect that small bulks are too light to get nice positive bites. I fish from the bottom (20 cm overdepth). Secondly, is there even any benefit using numerous no. 8s or maybe should i use just single 0.5-2 g weights instead since in my region it's legal? I wonder if rig with heavier droppers: 1.5 g, 20cm, 3.5 g , 20 cm and 10g bulk on 15 lollipop would give better results or it will rather cause more misses? I got some improvement when replaced hooklenght with shorter one (20 cm) but i still feel there's room to improve.
Pole feeder may be better if you are having to fish up to those size floats.

Koha14

Pole feeder may be better if you are having to fish up to those size floats.
According to our country competition series rules only 10% of total shotting weight can be layed on the bottom, thus using feeder system is not allowed.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Try overshotting the float as much as you can get away with if you are holding the rig still, if you are running it through shot it to half way down the bristle and use the correct Cralusso float like the shark.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Most of my flat float fishing is for perch and dace. I'm no expert on it but I find that the missed bites are more a factor of the amount overdepth and how far the main bulk is off the bottom.
The perch are generally easy to get hittable bites from -the dace are much more difficult (they're even worse on pole feeder).
Sometimes it pays to have more of a self hooking rig with a big dropper weight like 1g close to the hook.

Is there a particular species that is proving harder to hit the bites on?

I'd experiment with moving the depth, bulk and droppers until you find the right combination for the day.

25g isn't that huge - there's a video on Youtube of Alan scotthorne fishing a 50g flatty in 6ft of water ... and even then it's not really sitting right!

Koha14

Most of my flat float fishing is for perch and dace. I'm no expert on it but I find that the missed bites are more a factor of the amount overdepth and how far the main bulk is off the bottom.
The perch are generally easy to get hittable bites from -the dace are much more difficult (they're even worse on pole feeder).
Sometimes it pays to have more of a self hooking rig with a big dropper weight like 1g close to the hook.

Is there a particular species that is proving harder to hit the bites on?

I'd experiment with moving the depth, bulk and droppers until you find the right combination for the day.

25g isn't that huge - there's a video on Youtube of Alan scotthorne fishing a 50g flatty in 6ft of water ... and even then it's not really sitting right!
Thank you for the reply! I should test 1 g dropper. Bream and silverfish are the main species where i fish. Bulk should be ca 50 cm from the bottom. I can also test reducing overdepth by inch or so to see if it gets improved.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Watch the following video featuring Alan Scotthorne catching barbel on the Wye using a pole and 50g float. While he does not go through the rig and shotting you can see the shotting at various points in the film. It looks like all the shotting is bulked around 75cm or even 1m from the hook.

Koha14

Watch the following video featuring Alan Scotthorne catching barbel on the Wye using a pole and 50g float. While he does not go through the rig and shotting you can see the shotting at various points in the film. It looks like all the shotting is bulked around 75cm or even 1m from the hook.

Much appreciated! Haven't seen that video yet. Very interesting watching!