Shotting Calculators - styls v Stolz - float rigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinky_docker

Just wanted to ask a question as I seem to be getting some really erratic float behaviour, sometimes they float well and behave properly,then next minute they sink slowly or settle far too low...

I always use either olivette's or preston stolz shot (or a combo of the two), but these seem to be a complete mismatch for what the floats are marked up at....

I know many pole float manufactures use the Styls shot size for floats, but does anyone have any access or links to a stolz shooting calculator,I've already got the two listed below, but neither are for stolz (ie 4x14 = ????? in stolz shot)

My current shooting online calculators are:

http://www.fishyworld.co.uk/shotconversion.html

http://moopoo.net/fishing/calculator/

steadyeddie

Hi, I used to have the same problem and found 2 or 3 shotting charts and they were all different. I bought a dosapombio polefloat shotting thingy. You fasten your float to it, drop it in a bucket of water and put the stotz or ordinary shot on the ledge that goes round it untill it sits in the water how you want it to. I always set my floats sitting a bit high in the water and then dot it down on the bank. this works for me and now I dont need to look at any charts. I dont use olivettes, I prefer a bulk of stotz. I got my dosapombio( I think thats how its spelt) from Harrisons in Lincoln and Ive seen them on Ebay as well. I hope this is some help to you.

pole addict

Stotz weigh the same as standard shot.[:T]

As a session progresses the materials used for floats can take in water and also apparently monofilament absorbs water too. This all affects the way a float behaves. Water temp. and density too.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I always fish a float undershotted by one or two No.13 for a short while then complete the shotting once the water has penetrated any cracks etc. Once set I rarely have to change throughout the day.

You may find that painting your floats with nail varnish to seal the surface and where the eye/stem/bristle enter the float will help. I always give new floats a couple of coats befote use and then again when making up new rigs if there is any obvious damage.

At the end of the day it dsoesn't matter whether you shot with stotz, shot or styls.

Last edited:

steadyeddie

A coat of varnish on the body of the float helps to prevent water absorbtion. I believe carbon stems take on water .

jcbarbel

hi mate pole addict is correct,black carbon stem absorbs waterthats why you floats start sinking over the session, he is also correct about the water (colour, density, viscosity)what ever you want to call it.i found i dont get problems using glass stems.
pole addict is also correct that stotts and shot are the same.

if you email me at jcbarbelbasher@aol.com i will send you photo of prestons shotting chart, it has two varietys

Last edited:

pole addict

Originally posted by jcbarbel

hi mate pole addict is correct,black carbon stem absorbs waterthats why you floats start sinking over the session, he is also correct about the water (colour, density, viscosity)what ever you want to call it.i found i dont get problems using glass stems.
pole addict is also correct that stotts and shot are the same

Wow....thanx JC [;)][:D][:D][:D][:D]

andyasp

Have found that having too big a float rubber on the bristle holds the surface tension of the water. If the position or size of the rubber is changed or if you degrease it (washing liquid) it can alter the floats buoyancy

stinky_docker

I think he means the stems, but you can use them on the Bristle, it saves ditching a rig if the eye pulls out....

Status
Not open for further replies.