short work feeder rod

GGJD69

Hi Guys,
I am looking for a medium/light feeder rod for 30-40 Metre work with 30gr cage feeder on an estate lake and use if slow rivers like the Warks Avon. Only really for Bream and silvers but needs a little backbone in case Whiskers or big lips show up. Budget £75. New or second hand I'm not bothered. I have heard Daiwa Ninja and Frenzee 10ft XT are good along with Preston Supera. Probably only need 10ft or max 11ft.

Daft question but during my research I have come across loads of comercial feeders. I dont fish commercials so may I ask, is a commercial feeder the same as a normal feeder??
Many thanks
Gary

rudd

Site Supporter
Hi Guys,
I am looking for a medium/light feeder rod for 30-40 Metre work with 30gr cage feeder on an estate lake and use if slow rivers like the Warks Avon. Only really for Bream and silvers but needs a little backbone in case Whiskers or big lips show up. Budget £75. New or second hand I'm not bothered. I have heard Daiwa Ninja and Frenzee 10ft XT are good along with Preston Supera. Probably only need 10ft or max 11ft.

Daft question but during my research I have come across loads of comercial feeders. I dont fish commercials so may I ask, is a commercial feeder the same as a normal feeder??
Many thanks
Gary
Commercial feeder rods are beefed up slightly compared to more traditional feeder rods.
8-10lb line comlared to 4-6lb mainline ratings.
Due to short chucks and target species they are more through action compared to a feeder rod that tends to be last third with mid section giving the backbone for casting distance/weight.
For the type of fishing you describe have you thought about an avon rod (twin tip)(excuse the very intended pun)?

GGJD69

Thanks for the info on commercial differences Rudd. I'n not a massive fan of rods that serve 2 purposes as I think it lessens there durability so not a twin tip fan. Traditional feeder will do the job I need on both venues so just gotta find the right one.
Cheers
Gary

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Daiwa Yank n Bank.

Has a bit of backbone like you're looking for, more so than a Ninja.

I have the 10ft and had no problem with Carp to 17lb but doesn't feel so overgunned that it wouldn't handle silvers.

The action id say it readily bends towards the middle quite well but really starts to power up when the bend gets toward middle to butt.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I think a ninja would be more suitable than a yank and bank if predominantly for silvers and bream. Would still land any chub and most barbel that you're realistically going to come across. 11ft would be the best option, I had a season or two fishing with a 10ft and it was too short really.

GGJD69

Thanks Boys, great advice. I like the look of the Ninja so will explore the options.
Cheers
Gaz

Browner

I personally like the Drennan Ranges due to the availability of lots of different tips in both glass and carbon, slow and fast taper give plenty of options for both Stillwater and rivers. In the price bracket a 10ft Carp feeder in either the Red range - New or Series 7 - used. If you can go to £100 then the new. Vertex range is great. Don’t be misled by the Carp Feeder tag. I’ve had no problems using them for bream or chub.

GGJD69

Thanks Browner. I do like Drennan as I have the Acolytes for my stick float work.

Line Clip

Hi Guys,

Many thanks
Gary
Take a look at Angling 4 U on YouTube He does a pros and cons on the rods you are interested in.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Hi Guys,

Many thanks
Gary
Daiwa Ninja, Shimano Forcemaster, or Drennan Red Range - all within your budget. I've used both the Forcemaster and the Red Range rods. While both are designed for commercials, and handling bigger fish by default, for the sort of venue you describe they would be fine for that. Personally I would go for the 11ft versions to give you more flexibility for those days when a 10ft rod won't be able to reach your 40 metre limit and may struggle to reach 30. The Ninja is a good all rounder with a 50g c/w @11ft.

One to also think of is Brownings Argon 2 feeder which would seem to meet all your requirements, and is not per se a commercial rod but for still waters or say canals/slow rivers and has a c/w of up to 75g with 3 fine tips to 1.50z

Browner

Daiwa Ninja, Shimano Forcemaster, or Drennan Red Range - all within your budget. I've used both the Forcemaster and the Red Range rods. While both are designed for commercials, and handling bigger fish by default, for the sort of venue you describe they would be fine for that. Personally I would go for the 11ft versions to give you more flexibility for those days when a 10ft rod won't be able to reach your 40 metre limit and may struggle to reach 30. The Ninja is a good all rounder with a 50g c/w @11ft.

One to also think of is Brownings Argon 2 feeder which would seem to meet all your requirements, and is not per se a commercial rod but for still waters or say canals/slow rivers and has a c/w of up to 75g with 3 fine tips to 1.50z
I too have Shimano Forcemaster BX 8ft feeder. I think it’s got 1oz & 1/2oz tips. I use it on the canal for straight lead on the far side (don’t own a pole over 8m). Great little rod for about £35ish but limited due to the tip options.

GGJD69

I’ve come across an 11ft6” Drennan medium feeder. Looks in good nick. Where they any good?

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I’ve come across an 11ft6” Drennan medium feeder. Looks in good nick. Where they any good?
I've heard that Drennan's Vertex Range of feeders are pretty good but at £90 they are a little outside your budget. I can vouch for the Red Range feeders as I have used them myself but not at 11ft just 10 which was fine as the venue I used it for didn't need anything bigger . I still have my old 9'6" Red Range (max mainline 6lb) which I used for short chucks and netted loads of match sized carp with. Apart from the Acolyte range I have not tried any other Drennan feeder rod. I do have 11ft feeder rods but those are in the £200 price bracket (Sphere and Supera SL)

BURNING

i've got a daiwa yank and bank, despite the ugly name it's a lovely rod and they come in a nice variety of lengths

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
If you aren`t in a "i want it yesterday" hurry,i would wait for a Beastmaster 9/11 either AX or BX feeder rod to come along,tips from 3/4 oz to 3 oz,will cast up to 70 G and will land owt from silvers to a 10lb carp,as they are a few yrs old now they dont come up that often and when they do they dont fetch silly money,seen quite a few go for under your budget

GGJD69

Thanks Guys. I have narrowed it down to 2 rods I think.
Daiwa Ninja 10ft circa £75 or Frenzee Precision 11ft circa £80. Both get good reports.
I know how good Daiwa are but never even handled a Frenzee. Might just toss a coin unless you guys can persuade me otherwise?

GGJD69

Hi Roachman, Sounds good.
What tips do they have? How much is postage? My postcode is CV116nx
Cheers
Gary

roachman 1960

Hi one has all 3 tips which are , 0.5 , 1 and 1.5 OZ tips and the other 0.5 and 1.5 Oz , you can still get the replacement tips I think they are are 10 to 15 quid, not sure how much for P n P but can find out if you are interested