Short range method feeder (for tench)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Heading off for a session tomorrow afternoon, my boy will be on his whip for ‘whoppers’ but I want to see if I can tempt out one of the mythical lake tench. The swim we‘ll be on has a reed bed to the left that holds umpteen little carp for Jacob to play with and a huge lily bed on the right around 10-12m out for me, it’s the place where everyone I’ve spoken to says the tench hang out & where I plan to pop a feeder next to.

Watched a ton of YouTube videos, rapidly developing a man crush on Des Shipp :LOL:, but wondered if anyone had any tips for a successful session.

I know the method feeder works well on the water as the first time I used it I was straight into carp which are the overwhelmingly predominant species fishing 8mm fluro wafters and Baittech Super Method Mix groundbait.

I bought a bag of 2mm Sonubaits Stiki pellets, have sweet corn & luncheon meat too - also plenty of time to raid a tackle shop before we hit the water.

Any suggestions chaps to avoid the carpies and bag a doctor fish or two please.

Karl

Silver fan 82

Heading off for a session tomorrow afternoon, my boy will be on his whip for ‘whoppers’ but I want to see if I can tempt out one of the mythical lake tench. The swim we‘ll be on has a reed bed to the left that holds umpteen little carp for Jacob to play with and a huge lily bed on the right around 10-12m out for me, it’s the place where everyone I’ve spoken to says the tench hang out & where I plan to pop a feeder next to.

Watched a ton of YouTube videos, rapidly developing a man crush on Des Shipp :LOL:, but wondered if anyone had any tips for a successful session.

I know the method feeder works well on the water as the first time I used it I was straight into carp which are the overwhelmingly predominant species fishing 8mm fluro wafters and Baittech Super Method Mix groundbait.

I bought a bag of 2mm Sonubaits Stiki pellets, have sweet corn & luncheon meat too - also plenty of time to raid a tackle shop before we hit the water.

Any suggestions chaps to avoid the carpies and bag a doctor fish or two please.

Karl
What's the silver fish population in the lake like?

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Luncheon meat hookbait whilst fishing method feeder works really well. I find groundbait with some hemp added seems to work better than micros, gives them less to eat so they'll more readily hoover up the hookbait.

Robin red pellets are another cracking bait for Tench.

If i was to go and target tench tomorrow in my local pond it would be with spicy sausage groundbait with hemp mixed in for the method, with an 8mm robin red on the hook with luncheon meat cubes as a change bait. And some fluoro wafters if the water is murky or i'm struggling (y)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
What's the silver fish population in the lake like?

As far as I can tell absolutely zero - not met anyone yet who has caught anything other than carp but they all say they’ve heard about the tench.

Belting in casters or maggots and surface fishing just produces a ton of tiddly carp & nothing else

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Luncheon meat hookbait whilst fishing method feeder works really well. I find groundbait with some hemp added seems to work better than micros, gives them less to eat so they'll more readily hoover up the hookbait.

Robin red pellets are another cracking bait for Tench.

If i was to go and target tench tomorrow in my local pond it would be with spicy sausage groundbait with hemp mixed in for the method, with an 8mm robin red on the hook with luncheon meat cubes as a change bait. And some fluoro wafters if the water is murky or i'm struggling (y)

Thanks for that - on the shopping list (y)

Imperium

I’ve had a bucket load of tench this last fortnight on corn with a cage feeder set up. Couldn’t tempt any on meat or the more “tenchy” baits. May be worth packing some as a change bait - perhaps the weather has something to do with it :unsure:

rudd

Site Supporter
Five Tench out at weekend on prawns.
Just fish a single prawn, no feed on a size 12.
20m away - use a float or small bomb.
Method will attract unwanteds ?

Silver fan 82

Methods and which baits score differ from water to water even from day to day on the same venue. Tench can be finicky feeders at times.
If your venue sees alot of carp anglers fishing for big carp then it's usually a good bet that the Tench in the lake are tuned into what the carp anglers use. What I would try and what produces on my lake is 8mm pellet (crab flavour), or a fishy flavour boilies.
I would use bigger baits because of the amount of small carp in your lake. I would personally avoid small natural baits too for the same reason, I reckon using a small bait you will get pestered by the small fish all day.
I would use pellet, boilies, big lumps of meat or bread, prawns and don't overlook plastic baits too. As far as groundbait in the feeder IME fishmeal groundbait work better than sweet, biscuit based ones. Adding small pellets or hemp to your groundbait, maybe some corn or crushed boilies can work well will keep the fish in your swim for longer.
Let us know how you get on.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Thanks for the advice everyone - currently the session is looking a bit iffy as it’s blowing a hoolie already & a tree down on the way in to work but I will update if we get there.

Kar

OldTaff

Site Supporter
No fishing session - one of my cockwomble colleagues put a forklift fork through a grain elevator this morning and I got home about 15 mins ago having rebuilt it :mad: :rolleyes::mad: