Short elastic length in top kits

IanG1

Site Supporter
I use the standard 2.6 metre 2 piece Browning Xitan top kits and when used with lighter elastics there can be far more stretch than I would like when hooking bonus fish with a full length of elastic.
Rather than fit a bung in the No1 section like an old school set up and in order to retain a puller, anyone offer any advise or done similar to below.
My idea is to join a shorter length say 1200mm of elastic to a piece of braid that would then come out the end through a puller bung and secured with a bead (Non side pull top kit) My thoughts are the braid wouldn't stretch, I still have a decent length of elastic and have the option of a puller should I need it.
Any idea on knot to secure braid to elastic (was thinking loop to loop maybe)

Any input appreciated or alternative ideas?

Freesolo82

This is a common way of using shorter lengths of elastic to use when I'm swinging fish too hand, I just use 5lb maxima but braid is used too

Arch

Site Supporter
I'd go the bung up the No 1 route, but I'm old school too. I don't want to sound flippant, but isn't the whole point of a puller so you can tighten up the elastic ?? I can't see the point of having a shorter piece of elastic and braid in the top kit, just have elastic and pull the elastic out the puller kit to tighten it up.

Having said all that I don't use a puller on my topkits, unless I fish a commercial, which isn't often.

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
I use short elastics in top ones and have extended into a heavy line mid way down a top 2 for this purpose. But, you will find it difficult to use any Pulla system as any strain on the elastic from a non-stretch line or braid would cut into the elastic like a cheese wire. Line although forgiving, it is not enough not to damage the elastic. I have found any pull system for light silvers / winter elastic puts too much strain on the light elastic, therefore a 50-50, or 60-40 etc where a single to double tied off elastic to absorb the lunges is best.

IanG1

Site Supporter
You can only use the puller when you've shipped enough to get to it. The shorter elastic stops the fish as there is less stretch compared to a full length at that makes sense?

IanG1

Site Supporter
I use short elastics in top ones and have extended into a heavy line mid way down a top 2 for this purpose. But, you will find it difficult to use any Pulla system as any strain on the elastic from a non-stretch line or braid would cut into the elastic like a cheese wire. Line although forgiving, it is not enough not to damage the elastic. I have found any pull system for light silvers / winter elastic puts too much strain on the light elastic, therefore a 50-50, or 60-40 etc where a single to double tied off elastic to absorb the lunges is best.
Maybe a small stonfo to join the elastic to the loop in the braid would work to stop this from happening?

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
Well sorry I have to disagree. i would not want a load of line or braid dangling down trying to get at the elastic and powering up a fine elastic short length with no give. a recipe for either broken elastic or top kit. there is a lot of power when you pull. A continuous powering from single to double would be kinder to elastic top and fish. just my thoughts.

Louis D

Site Supporter
It really needs a bit more information before offering any advice. Where are you fishing, how big are the standard silvers you are targeting and what does a bonus look like? There is a world of difference between 30 to the pound roach/3lb chub on a river or canal vs. 3-4 oz roach/and 5 lb carp on a commercial.

Spadger123

I very rarely use 2 piece tops nowadays.
Almost always use F1 short kits, modern elastics stretch too far for my liking and the use of a puller means I can drop a grade.

sporty

Site Supporter
Short Map f1 kits have a max elastic rating of 12 solid if thats of any help

bricky72

Site Supporter
on canal and winter silvers I just use elastic in top one with mini bung never had any issues
unless for perch where do use it though top kit to pulla
but on silverlite top one only

Jonnie987

I have used elastic through top only on browning top kits, solid 3’s and 4’s mainly surprising what you can land it does power up eventually
I’m now on the slik type and use that through the top 2, the number 5 Preston one seems about right

bricky72

Site Supporter
I’ve Preston slip 2/3/4 in top kits and middy hi viz green /purple as well

yes surprisingly hooked few vermin on silvers other week and it does power up as it so light they don’t realise they hooked till see landing net lol ?

IanG1

Site Supporter
Set a few kits up with mini bung in top one with Slip 4 and Middy hi viz green see how I get on.