Short but Sweet session on the punch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
We have just had a great holiday on the Monmouth and Brecon canal and Ive fished most days and its a hard job sussing out which one to tell you about in truth.
Its been decided by my camera being full and a lack of photos.
Fishing off the bow of the boat this is a pic of the swim at Gilwern.
Datafile11.jpg
This was an evening session for a couple of hours.
It is just over 2ft deep with a nice steady flow from right to left and as you can see its carrying colour.
As there was a nuisance breeze kept springing up and skimming down stream I set up a little 2 No.1 home made peacock waggler with a 8s backshot and bulk of 5x12s 8 inches from an 18s Drennan carbon caster on an .08 hooklink.
Following a walnut sized knob of liquidised down the trip with a bit of punch on the hook and the float buried first cast.
I lifted into what was definitely not the roach I expected and it powered off upstream like a steam train.
I didnt have very much time to play it as there was a boat coming down the canal and with us moored up there was no space to avoid it and so whatever it was we parted company due to me trying to throw my weight around on light gear and the hook pulled.
The boat went through. I let it all settle down for a couple of minutes and in with another nut of liquidised and recast.
This time it was a lovely little punchy 6-7 ounce roach. They are like barrels on this canal.I dont know what their staple diet is because its certainly not anglers baits but whatever it is it works because for their size they bang like hell.
Datafile11.jpg
Into the keep net and back again for more of the same.
The roach were only interupted by the odd whopping big gudgeon as they came in one after the other and all around the same stamp.
I ended up with around 5lb in a couple of hours before we shot off into the sunset for a balti.
It was a short but sweet canal session and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Datafile11.jpg

Last edited:

FERT

probaly a carp or a tench that broke you nice catch through looks a good canal.

Simon R

Site Supporter
as you can see its carrying colour.
At first glance I thought it was the river in Charlie & The Chocolate Factory[:p]

Cracking looking roach them though Barry - I'll bet they've never seen a hook before.

Simon

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
Your right Simon. In 8 or 9 days on the canal I saw 2 anglers. They were both fishing poles.
I shouted were they fishing tight across and when they nodded I kept to their inside line. They gave me a big smile and cheers mate as I went past and we had a brief natter as I did so.
I went through their swim and one bloke had a big skimmer as I went on my way.
Its a phenomenol canal mate and hardly touched by anglers for most of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.