Short But Brilliant Thames Roach Session

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Get yourself a keep net and do a catch shot at the end of the session. 👍🏻
I had one once but I don’t think it moved house when we did at some point! Did more Stillwater fishing than river fishing back then so when more and more places banned them outside of matches I just got out of the habit of using it hence why it got forgotten about.

When I have good days on the river nowadays I do sometimes think it would be nice to see a bristling net full at the end of the day. But it’s just another thing to spend money on and then lug about that doesn’t directly catch me anything and is probably better for the fish to just let them go anyway. Might get one at some point though if I’m really struggling for ideas of tackle to buy 😂

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Just to sum up how good that spot is at the moment and I hope he doesn’t mind me saying it but @Paul_T had a cracking day there himself today with a 25-30lb plus roach bag so very well fished to him 👍🏻

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
just saw this.. well angled!
Thanks mate 👍🏻

The fish were just lining up to be caught just one of those little sessions where everything goes right!

Planning to give it another go there Saturday if the weather allows. Certainly looking a fair bit cooler and breezier than last week and obviously been a fair bit of rain go in last few days but I’d be surprised if it’s changed that much in less than a week. We shall wait and see 🤞🏻

Paul_T

Site Supporter
@TiggerXFM were you one of the lucky ones on Medley on Sunday that had a netful of bream?

If anyone is interested I had a 101 fish bag of mainly roach on Tuesday at Kennington, known by locals as Southern Bypass Rose Island stretch.

As @Silverfisher has indicated it was solid with fish. The wind was horrendous on Tuesday, but it didn't really matter where my waggler landed as it would go under with a roach on most runs through (I'd rather be lucky than good :cool:). Talking to a guy in the tackle shop at Donnington this stretch is known for its big bream, so I'm surprised there were so many roach there at present. Definitely worth a look if you want to get some confidence on your river waggler skills.

TiggerXFM

@TiggerXFM were you one of the lucky ones on Medley on Sunday that had a netful of bream?

If anyone is interested I had a 101 fish bag of mainly roach on Tuesday at Kennington, known by locals as Southern Bypass Rose Island stretch.

As @Silverfisher has indicated it was solid with fish. The wind was horrendous on Tuesday, but it didn't really matter where my waggler landed as it would go under with a roach on most runs through (I'd rather be lucky than good :cool:). Talking to a guy in the tackle shop at Donnington this stretch is known for its big bream, so I'm surprised there were so many roach there at present. Definitely worth a look if you want to get some confidence on your river waggler skills.
No, I was catching chub on a different venue.

Congrat's on your day!

Paul_T

Site Supporter
@TiggerXFM thanks! The river is an hour drive from me and I'm not very familiar with most of the stretches, so I'm only a very occasional river angler, but I do love fishing rod & line on the river. I fished the winter leagues 25 years ago on Medley, Donnington, etc but never found a stretch with any numbers of chub in. I don't expect you to disclose the stretch, but would love to find a bit of the river with chub in for the Winter.

Good luck!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well today’s return to said spot was not worthy of its own report so I’ll tag it on here as it was went from awesome last weekend to awful this weekend! Yes it was a bit cooler and the river was a bit quicker and a lot browner but not worringly so therefore whilst I was expecting it to be slower than last week’s brilliant session I didn’t expect it to be as slow as it was. In fact I’d say it was the hardest session I’ve ever had on the Thames outside of winter!

Somehow I went from the 50 plus roach, 5 dace, 5 bleak and a perch for comfortably over 15lb in 3.5 hours last weekend to 2 roach, 2 skimmers and 20 odd bleak for probably not a lot over 2lb in 5.5 hours today! It wasn’t just me struggling either as @Paul_T was there again as well after he had an even better session than me last week and whilst he did much better than me today he had still only had 28 fish (mostly roach though hence better than me!) when I left from a similar amount of time to what he had 101 fish in last week. To complete the set another angler in our “section” if you like said he was there the day before me last week and also had a cracking bag of roach on the pole but only caught a single perch on it today. He did go on the feeder though and had a 3lb bream and a few mostly pound plus roach which pretty much confirmed mine and Paul’s thoughts on what gear we should have bought when we saw how coloured it was we just never imagined that it would have changed so much. My grandad pulled out of coming last minute so be dodged a bullet now can go somewhere in the week when it’s warmer and should have fined down a bit!

It was certainly a weirdly hard session as the conditions didn’t seem that dramatic and clearly fish were feeding we just couldn’t figure out how to catch many of them. Well think Paul was starting to figure it out but I totally fudged it up! Had I known it would be that coloured I’d have suggested we go somewhere that I know better and is both shallower and retains its clarity better. But that’s hindsight for you! Bit annoying as we were both thinking that was going to be our last productive river sessions before the frosts and floods mess it up and it probably would have been productive elsewhere. Still tempted to pop down there with a feeder rod in the morning though for a couple hours to see if I can sneak a bream out though after the other guy there got one.

Pic of the swim which shows the colour change a bit but not really properly and the one good sized fish I had which looks quite small compared to last weeks whopper but was a good fish. Thought I was going to at least get the biggest roach of the day with that but Paul and the other guy there beat me on that front as well in the end!

1635004566301.jpeg

1635004577498.jpeg

Paul_T

Site Supporter
@Silverfisher conditions certainly caught both of us out today. I only had float gear as emptied my box and luggage out and only and carried two waggler rods today so that I could carry my gear over the railway bridge and across the field.

I fished until 5:00 today and typically the roach switched on briefly around 4:00. I ended up with 47 fish, approx 12 bleak, 3 pommies, 2 gudgeon, and the rest were roach.

The roach were out in the flow and the 4AAA Topper rig was best. If I cast a waggler on the same line I'd just get bleaked out.

Good luck if you go tomorrow. Personally I think the bread feeder a couple of rod lengths out and slightly down the peg will be good for those big roach and the chance of a bream. Plus a more positive groundbait feeder line half to two-thirds over. I hope you get a few clonking roach.

david white

Site Supporter
@Silverfisher ok it’s a long time since I fished your sections of the Thames but I agree with Paul_T tomorrow or the next few days may well offer you the best chance of a decent roach, exactly on the tactics he alludes too ( mind you I’d also try a piece of bread crust as a change bait and I’d mix some hemp in with my bread crumb as well good luck if you do indeed try

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
@Silverfisher conditions certainly caught both of us out today. I only had float gear as emptied my box and luggage out and only and carried two waggler rods today so that I could carry my gear over the railway bridge and across the field.

I fished until 5:00 today and typically the roach switched on briefly around 4:00. I ended up with 47 fish, approx 12 bleak, 3 pommies, 2 gudgeon, and the rest were roach.

The roach were out in the flow and the 4AAA Topper rig was best. If I cast a waggler on the same line I'd just get bleaked out.

Good luck if you go tomorrow. Personally I think the bread feeder a couple of rod lengths out and slightly down the peg will be good for those big roach and the chance of a bream. Plus a more positive groundbait feeder line half to two-thirds over. I hope you get a few clonking roach.
Was very different to the other day wasnt it. From solid with roach to them being few and far between. Must have come on well at the end though as sounds like you doubled the amount roach of you‘d had when I left. Bit like the medley session last week just a lot later in the day! Still think in hindsight we should have gone medley today reckon would have had the perfect amount of flow and colour so be interesting to see the match result tomorow after the last one went well. I think I’ll go Kennington tomorrow for a couple hours and go for the bream. Going to be a very short session if I go so I’d rather chance my arm for one decent bream as not going to have time to build a bag of roach.

@Silverfisher ok it’s a long time since I fished your sections of the Thames but I agree with Paul_T tomorrow or the next few days may well offer you the best chance of a decent roach, exactly on the tactics he alludes too ( mind you I’d also try a piece of bread crust as a change bait and I’d mix some hemp in with my bread crumb as well good luck if you do indeed try
You’d think so wouldn’t you but then I got the near 2 pounder or maybe even a 2 pounder from the initial crazy busy session in this thread with the river pretty clear and barely flowing so sometimes they don’t read the rule book! Really was a phenomenal session that, so good and so unexpected just one of those days when the pegs full! Polar opposite to today. That said yes you’d think the next few days would be good, monday and tuesday look perfect weather wise so given it will have dropped a bit by then it could be as good as last weekend. But I’ve only got tomorrow morning though which is probably a bit early plus will not have a lot of time. Just hope next weekend dries out as looks very wet then atm!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well I wimped out this morning in the end. Woke up a bit weary and was already a breeze at 6 so which doesn’t mode well for what it’ll be like by the usual start time plus is a threat of rain. So given I’d have only been able to fish till about 11 anyway I decided to save the bait for my grandad so he can get out in the week. Will probably regret it later though especially when we probably have washout after washout over the coming months!

Also forgot to mention a flipping dog jumped on one of my rods yesterday when I was packing up and whilst I don’t think it put much weight on it and I couldn’t see any visible damage I’ll be well peed off if it folds over next time I use it! Especially as it was the butt section given that would be a sod to replace although that it was the thickest section possibly saved it.

david white

Site Supporter
Also forgot to mention a flipping dog jumped on one of my rods yesterday when I was packing up and whilst I don’t think it put much weight on it and I couldn’t see any visible damage I’ll be well peed off if it folds over next time I use it! Especially as it was the butt section given that would be a sod to replace although that it was the thickest section possibly saved it.
Hopefully you’ll have little or no damage to your rod, there’s some inconsiderate dog owners out there who just don’t respect other people’s property as long as their mutt is enjoying itself
Saving grace is if it’s a modern or current rod normally manufacturers do have spares or butt sections of rods being the least likely to get damaged ( tips sections often suffer from misuse, middle sections from overloading casting weight wise ) an advert in the wanted section may throw up a spare ? ( hopefully not needed of course )

Bit of a blow weather wise today, looks like there’s a prolonged spell of wet weather due later this week, that and the clocks going back often indicate fraught river conditions ahead

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Hopefully you’ll have little or no damage to your rod, there’s some inconsiderate dog owners out there who just don’t respect other people’s property as long as their mutt is enjoying itself
Saving grace is if it’s a modern or current rod normally manufacturers do have spares or butt sections of rods being the least likely to get damaged ( tips sections often suffer from misuse, middle sections from overloading casting weight wise ) an advert in the wanted section may throw up a spare ? ( hopefully not needed of course )

Bit of a blow weather wise today, looks like there’s a prolonged spell of wet weather due later this week, that and the clocks going back often indicate fraught river conditions ahead
Yeah I never blame the dogs it always the owners! Fingers crossed it’ll be alright 🤞🏻

It’s actually turned out bright and sunny today if a little breezy so probably should have gone. Like you say river fishing is going to be become a game of conditions lottery soon 😢

Paul_T

Site Supporter
@Silverfisher gutted to hear you didn't go today, I honestly thought you were going to sack up. Hope your rod is going to be ok, at least it faired better than your sausage roll! :ROFLMAO:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
@Silverfisher gutted to hear you didn't go today, I honestly thought you were going to sack up. Hope your rod is going to be ok, at least it faired better than your sausage roll! :ROFLMAO:

Yeah really regret not going now as stayed dry til mid afternoon and we didn’t go for that roast til the evening!

And yeah fingers crossed on the rod. I’ll run some line through it and give it some light pressure in the garden at some point as I’d rather find out there than on the bank. But it certainly did better than the sausage roll although that was entirely my fault left that one a proper tempter 😂

Paul_T

Site Supporter
Must have come on well at the end though as sounds like you doubled the amount roach of you‘d had when I left.
I was on 36 fish when you left so I only had 11 more, 5 roach then 6 bleak when I tried the waggler over the topper line. Waggler was a waste of time Saturday, unless you wanted to target bleak! :p