Shopping and queues

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinWY

Site Supporter
It's all a joke mate. I was in the pub for a quick drink just as everyone took notice of the coronavirus. I was told by bar staff to pay by card, contactless or chip n pin only. Which they shouldn't be doing as it is illegal for them to refuse cash. I have never had cash refused anywhere which proves my point. The girl behind the bar who took my card, put it in the machine, handed it to me to enter my pin then handed the card back to me, all without gloves or wiping the machine before and after use. Or my card for that matter. Not that it made any difference. Maybe people aren't taking it seriously because there is no need to, I for one have never believed anything any government has ever said, but that's just me.

If you're in a pub at all, believe me, contracting an airborne virus from a card machine is the least of your worries. I understand what you're saying, but generally people don't understand how airborne viruses work and the government has to publicised a dumbed down version of it so literally everyone in society can attempt to understand, which is why it often wont make sense if you've got a few more marbles upstairs. Governments don't have much choice, forced into a one size fits all approach.

Pikerwoods

l live in Chapel St Leonards 7 miles from Skegness. Not had a hair cut for 100 days so got up early and stood in queue for 1 and a half hours as shop opened at 8am. The staff coped well as they had removed several chairs to cover distancing, two clear screens between three chairs, cleaned all equipment including chairs after each cut and girl took names & mobile number and made sure we took our turn. They were glad as back to work. Roads busy from last night with caravan owners going to their vans.

richox12

Maybe people aren't taking it seriously because there is no need to, I for one have never believed anything any government has ever said, but that's just me.

What you don't believe that the human race has a current virus problem on the scale we are being informed ????

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
We had a summer sale in our factory shop fri/sat/. 60k of furniture sold so far. Open today as well. People have travelled miles and queuing outside in the rain. Chap only letting 6in at a time but can’t count. There’s a hand gel on your way in but that’s it. Woman on till has no screen, card machine hasn’t been wiped once and customers lead over desk to fill in forms. Most customers seem to stay clear of each over. It’s the ones in mask and gloves that are the problem, they seem to enjoy sitting next to people on the sofas. There’s a lot of money out there burning a hole in people’s pockets. 14wk of Pat, 3mth of mortage adds up.

CarpCatcher86

What you don't believe that the human race has a current virus problem on the scale we are being informed ????
If it was really as bad as we have been led to believe then the things that have happened wouldn't have happened. Idiots gathering on beaches, by lakes rivers and in country parks. Everyone is scared in to keeping two meters away from eachother in shops, both inside and outside while queuing to get in or for the tills, yet so many think nothing about being outside in a park pretty much on top of eachother. Ok so your outside which shouldn't be as bad as being in a confined space like a shop. But even still if it was as bad as we are being told then people would have been forced to keep apart everywhere instead of just indoors. How many house/garden parties have you seen/heard in the last few months? All those people gathering in the same place with no hint of social distancing, even though it is hard to stop, do you really think all those people would be allowed to be together in one place if things were as bad as we have been told?

Things may be bad yes, but they are certainly not as bad as we have been told by the government. The same government who knew about this so called virus months before anyone else did and yet did nothing. Why you may ask? Because the b*****ds don't give a toss about our safety and well being, all they care about is money and taking as much of it as possible from the likes of you and me. If you think this government or any government for that matter actually care about people, you need to remove your head from the sand, your arse or wherever you keep it.

richox12

If it was really as bad as we have been led to believe then the things that have happened wouldn't have happened. Idiots gathering on beaches, by lakes rivers and in country parks. Everyone is scared in to keeping two meters away from eachother in shops, both inside and outside while queuing to get in or for the tills, yet so many think nothing about being outside in a park pretty much on top of eachother. Ok so your outside which shouldn't be as bad as being in a confined space like a shop. But even still if it was as bad as we are being told then people would have been forced to keep apart everywhere instead of just indoors. How many house/garden parties have you seen/heard in the last few months? All those people gathering in the same place with no hint of social distancing, even though it is hard to stop, do you really think all those people would be allowed to be together in one place if things were as bad as we have been told?

Things may be bad yes, but they are certainly not as bad as we have been told by the government. The same government who knew about this so called virus months before anyone else did and yet did nothing. Why you may ask? Because the b*****ds don't give a toss about our safety and well being, all they care about is money and taking as much of it as possible from the likes of you and me. If you think this government or any government for that matter actually care about people, you need to remove your head from the sand, your arse or wherever you keep it.

Utterly ridiculous

CarpCatcher86

Utterly ridiculous
What would you suggest then? Everyone has to keep two meters apart because of a virus sweeping the globe, but hundreds and thousands of people have congregated anywhere they can and have been allowed to get away with it. That's not good is it and shouldn't be allowed to happen no matter which way you look at it. If it was as serious as we have been told then people would have been forced to keep apart instead of being let loose to do as they please.

richox12

What would you suggest then? Everyone has to keep two meters apart because of a virus sweeping the globe, but hundreds and thousands of people have congregated anywhere they can and have been allowed to get away with it. That's not good is it and shouldn't be allowed to happen no matter which way you look at it. If it was as serious as we have been told then people would have been forced to keep apart instead of being let loose to do as they please.

Blaming the government for the utter stupidity, carelessness and total disregard for themselves & of others because some cannot (will not) follow basic rules - is stupid. And saying it isn't as bad, and wasn't as bad, as we have been told is also stupid. Yes it is VERY serious. Of course it is. You would have to have been living on another planet to not know that (I have multiple friends and neighbours working within the NHS & care homes and my brother-in-law and sister-in-law are both research doctors trying to find a vaccine along with thousands of others. They are rubbish scared).

If some stupid morons want to break the rules they will no matter what you do. If the Gov't and police want to 'try' and crack down hard on rule breakers then we will get more violence & riots. DOH !!! This is not the PRC. It's the UK. A democracy. The Gov't have credited people with brains and common sense. Unfortunately there is a minority - too many it is sad to see - that don't have an ounce of either.

It's all about money !!!! Good grief.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you want to see what happens when you don't have lockdowns, people do as they want, many object about the government telling them what to do, look over the big puddle at America :eek:

1593963426409.png

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
And they've hardly scratched the surface yet....

1593963590460.png

CarpCatcher86

Blaming the government for the utter stupidity, carelessness and total disregard for themselves & of others because some cannot (will not) follow basic rules - is stupid. And saying it isn't as bad, and wasn't as bad, as we have been told is also stupid. Yes it is VERY serious. Of course it is. You would have to have been living on another planet to not know that (I have multiple friends and neighbours working within the NHS & care homes and my brother-in-law and sister-in-law are both research doctors trying to find a vaccine along with thousands of others. They are rubbish scared).

If some stupid morons want to break the rules they will no matter what you do. If the Gov't and police want to 'try' and crack down hard on rule breakers then we will get more violence & riots. DOH !!! This is not the PRC. It's the UK. A democracy. The Gov't have credited people with brains and common sense. Unfortunately there is a minority - too many it is sad to see - that don't have an ounce of either.

It's all about money !!!! Good grief.
Of course it's all about money which was partly my point. The government aren't concerned with the safety of the population, they are only concerned with not losing money. But I still say if it was really as serious as people claim then the so called rule breakers would have been stopped some way or another. It's no good saying the police and government can't stop these people because they can, they just won't. Mainly because they are the people pumping money back in to the economy during these tough times when most people are out of work or only earning 80% of their wage. Look at the country as a whole, we are an island for god sake, how hard is it to lock an island down? In other words no one in no one out. Anglesey had the right idea, the whole island was locked down and look at how many cases of covid they had. Until the outbreak in the chicken factory in the middle of the island there were five reported cases on Anglesey. If they can do it then why can't we?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Locking the UK down will not get rid of the virus. It's not possible to sanitize every surface, every household, every person, and even if you did you are still wide open to infection from outside sources that you have little control over.

In my opinion, the government are going about it the right way. It might not seem so, it might seem chaotic, but the infrastructure is in place now to deal with more infections on a wider scale than ever before. The only way everyone is going to be 'future' safe from this virus is either building up their own immunity and for that you have to be exposed to it, or for everyone to be vaccinated and we all know there is not much chance of that in the next few years or more.

Meanwhile, we do need the economy to keep moving, no economy means big job losses on a scale you or I could not imagine, a massive recession, poverty, and the decline of our overall infrastructure. The worst-case scenario would be not to be able to repay the interests on the country's debt, then we as a country could be bankrupted and have to possibly roll over and sell up to the creditors - our biggest being China if memory serves me correctly.

CarpCatcher86

Locking the UK down will not get rid of the virus. It's not possible to sanitize every surface, every household, every person, and even if you did you are still wide open to infection from outside sources that you have little control over.

In my opinion, the government are going about it the right way. It might not seem so, it might seem chaotic, but the infrastructure is in place now to deal with more infections on a wider scale than ever before. The only way everyone is going to be 'future' safe from this virus is either building up their own immunity and for that you have to be exposed to it, or for everyone to be vaccinated and we all know there is not much chance of that in the next few years or more.

Meanwhile, we do need the economy to keep moving, no economy means big job losses on a scale you or I could not imagine, a massive recession, poverty, and the decline of our overall infrastructure. The worst-case scenario would be not to be able to repay the interests on the country's debt, then we as a country could be bankrupted and have to possibly roll over and sell up to the creditors - our biggest being China if memory serves me correctly.
Locking down the UK does not need to get rid of the virus if we had been locked down properly and said virus had been prevented from coming here in the first place. We are an island as I have said, how hard is it to lock down an island?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
But that would have only delayed the inevitable as eventually we would have had it on these shores, in fact it more than likely has been here before the first reported cases.

Plus do you stop imports as well?
It's not feasible

CarpCatcher86

But that would have only delayed the inevitable as eventually we would have had it on these shores, in fact it more than likely has been here before the first reported cases.

Plus do you stop imports as well?
It's not feasible
I'm sure there are ways of keeping imports sanitized, otherwise there would be more reported cases. A lot of our imports come from other countries you know.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The only way to sanitize imports is to not touch them until the virus, if it is on them, has died. That's reported to be 72 hours.
How do you propose sanitising goods driven over the channel, or flown in?

On top of that, how do you kill off any viruses that are already here, or viruses bought over by birds, illegal immigrants, docking ships, etc?

And, just supposing you manage to work out a way, and you inform the government experts who couldn't do so, how do you propose to maintain it indefinitely?

CarpCatcher86

The only way to sanitize imports is to not touch them until the virus, if it is on them, has died. That's reported to be 72 hours.
How do you propose sanitising goods driven over the channel, or flown in?

On top of that, how do you kill off any viruses that are already here, or viruses bought over by birds, illegal immigrants, docking ships, etc?

And, just supposing you manage to work out a way, and you inform the government experts who couldn't do so, how do you propose to maintain it indefinitely?
There must be ways of sanitizing goods, having said that I am no medical or cleaning expert.
Illegal immigrants cause no problems for this country, I don't know why they call them illegal in the first place.
You don't need to maintain anything indefinitely, just long enough that the virus is no longer a threat.

I can't believe you are all so obedient/compliant and narrow minded to believe everything you are told by a government who does not care about you in the slightest, regardless of the country you live in. Yes people have died of this corona virus, but even still how do you know? You could be led in to a morgue with 1000 dead bodies in front of you, the home office pathologist tells you that all 1000 people in front of you died of corona virus, how on earth do you know? They could have all had a heart attack or some kind of organ failure. So many people are too quick to believe everything they are told without question and it really does make me laugh. Even when the government are telling you the truth, it will be their version of the truth, a story cut off at the knees as it were. You might get some truth, enough truth so you have a rough idea of what is going on, but you will never get the whole truth. Even when the government are telling you the truth, in some part they are still lying to you.

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
.... And that's enough for me to leave the conversation, I despair at times, I really do

CarpCatcher86

.... And that's enough for me to leave the conversation, I despair at times, I really do
I dispair all the time when people believe everything they are told and refuse to think for themselves.
America is the same mate. The American government lied to the native Americans for many many years, and then president Clinton lied about a relationship, and everyone was surprised. Naive or what.

Status
Not open for further replies.