Shopping and queues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Can someone tell me why all the shops have perspex screens, counters across doorways, 2m spacings, people queuing outside being let in one by one, and everyone still having to use the front door?

I had the misfortune of having to go to three shops this afternoon, partly my own fault for offering to do so, I just didn't expect the missus to say "okay then" :D

First shop, fishmongers.
A queue of about eight people, all stood on the pavement outside, two assistants in the shop, but only one customer allowed in at a time.
The shop and counter were quite capable of holding three people queued 2metres apart, but social distancing would have gone out of the window literally if one wanted to leave.
The problem with local shops is when you get someone who wants to discuss the day with staff who I suspect are just as balled off holding the same conversation over and over again and pay lip service to the customer.

What would have made more sense in this shop, and I suspect many others, is to open the back door and have customers walk in the front and out of the back. Form a conveyor as such, get to the counter, order, pay, keep moving when you can. The cork in the bottle would be the occasional customer who wants a bit of everything and as such holds the conveyor up I suppose.

Second shop, decorators merchants
Now I'd tried unsuccessfully to phone them several times during the week only to be told I was important to them and guess what, we're in the throes of a pandemic which is affecting their response time, over and over again the message played.
So I called in to see them.

The queue was none existent but the markings "wait here to be called" - no one to call you in!
Walk in, two new faces behind a jerry built perspex and wood screen. Ask them for prices for some paint I'm after, they can't hear me. I can't hear them ffs!
Finally I get the message over, and can I write my account name on a piece of paper shoved through the aperture in the perspex, along with a pen. Gawd knows how many people had handled the pen or paper previously, I counted three just then including myself.
Account name written down, passed back, asked for pen as well, can't find me on their system. "Can you write down your postcode please?" came the mumbled assistant as he passed the pen and paper back to me.
Done, as I passed it back.

They, both assistants were on the case now, both virtually hugging each other around the PC monitor "still can't find you mate" - "I've had an account here longer than you;ve been chuffin born, and I'm not your mate. Is R (the manager) in?"
"No he's off until a week monday. It's the accounts dept, they delete accounts (this was a cash account) if they're not used in six months now"
"6 months?" my blood pressure is rising, "we're in the middle of a chuffin pandemic, most building companies haven't operated in the past three months and you close their accounts, you ain't even been open since the start!"

Suddenly whatever I wanted came with a 25% discount off list price to pacify me, and even at that it was still a lot dearer than a supplier down the road who quoted me on this company's product.
"Forget it" I said, I still picked up and paid for a pack of six brushes as they were on special offer, a bargain to be told - then left.

Shop number 3, the Pet shop for Winston's sack of food
Parked up right outside, stood in yet another queue, one in and one out in a big store.
Some people walked past, not a care in the world, virtually rubbing shoulders with the queue. The queue slowly went down, it came my turn, I knew exactly where it was on and which shelf having been there on a nigh-on a monthly basis, I walked into the store and it was virtually empty. Two couples stood cooing at the Rabbits and Guinea Pigs, two lads being interrogated over their need to buy a fish, and one other waiting at the till being served. Why the store could not let more people in I haven't a clue, the place was virtually deserted.

Anyway, the sack of food carried to the counter, card dabbed on the machine, "have you a loyalty card sir?" "Yes, it's in the bin because you stopped sending me coupons"

Home and chilllll.

The next time we need anything its online or we do without if I have to go again lol

62tucker

Site Supporter
Can someone tell me why all the shops have perspex screens, counters across doorways, 2m spacings, people queuing outside being let in one by one, and everyone still having to use the front door?

I had the misfortune of having to go to three shops this afternoon, partly my own fault for offering to do so, I just didn't expect the missus to say "okay then" :D

First shop, fishmongers.
A queue of about eight people, all stood on the pavement outside, two assistants in the shop, but only one customer allowed in at a time.
The shop and counter were quite capable of holding three people queued 2metres apart, but social distancing would have gone out of the window literally if one wanted to leave.
The problem with local shops is when you get someone who wants to discuss the day with staff who I suspect are just as balled off holding the same conversation over and over again and pay lip service to the customer.

What would have made more sense in this shop, and I suspect many others, is to open the back door and have customers walk in the front and out of the back. Form a conveyor as such, get to the counter, order, pay, keep moving when you can. The cork in the bottle would be the occasional customer who wants a bit of everything and as such holds the conveyor up I suppose.

Second shop, decorators merchants
Now I'd tried unsuccessfully to phone them several times during the week only to be told I was important to them and guess what, we're in the throes of a pandemic which is affecting their response time, over and over again the message played.
So I called in to see them.

The queue was none existent but the markings "wait here to be called" - no one to call you in!
Walk in, two new faces behind a jerry built perspex and wood screen. Ask them for prices for some paint I'm after, they can't hear me. I can't hear them ffs!
Finally I get the message over, and can I write my account name on a piece of paper shoved through the aperture in the perspex, along with a pen. Gawd knows how many people had handled the pen or paper previously, I counted three just then including myself.
Account name written down, passed back, asked for pen as well, can't find me on their system. "Can you write down your postcode please?" came the mumbled assistant as he passed the pen and paper back to me.
Done, as I passed it back.

They, both assistants were on the case now, both virtually hugging each other around the PC monitor "still can't find you mate" - "I've had an account here longer than you;ve been chuffin born, and I'm not your mate. Is R (the manager) in?"
"No he's off until a week monday. It's the accounts dept, they delete accounts (this was a cash account) if they're not used in six months now"
"6 months?" my blood pressure is rising, "we're in the middle of a chuffin pandemic, most building companies haven't operated in the past three months and you close their accounts, you ain't even been open since the start!"

Suddenly whatever I wanted came with a 25% discount off list price to pacify me, and even at that it was still a lot dearer than a supplier down the road who quoted me on this company's product.
"Forget I said" I still picked up and paid for a pack of six brushes as they were on special offer, a bargain to be told - then left.

Shop number 3, the Pet shop for Winston's sack of food
Parked up right outside, stood in yet another queue, one in and one out in a big store.
Some people walked past, not a care in the world, virtually rubbing shoulders with the queue. The queue slowly went down, it came my turn, I knew exactly where it was on and which shelf having been there on a nigh-on a monthly basis, I walked into the store and it was virtually empty. Two couples stood cooing at the Rabbits and Guinea Pigs, two lads being interrogated over their need to buy a fish, and one other waiting at the till being served. Why the store could not let more people in I haven't a clue, the place was virtaully deserted.

Anyway, the sack of food carried to the counter, card dabbed on the machine, "have you a loyalty card sir?" "Yes, it's in the bin because you stopped sending me coupons"

Home and chilllll.

The next time we need anything its online or we do without if I have to go again lol
Aldi and lidl is backto normal. Free for all.

But ordered a set of wiper blades at Euro car parts yesterday. Ordered online pick up in store. 10 in queue outside. 1 allowed in at a time. Also Queue at warehouse big doors. So have to queue outside sales bite. Go in give order number and pay. Go outside again and wait again till get to front and then someone brought wipers out. 30 mins. Could of got free delivery.
Been to chippy tonight. 2 allowed in. And cash only.

Flathead

Site Supporter
I went into a shop the other day and, while I was waiting to pay, one of the shop staff nearly knocked me over trying to get pasto_O....despite all the notices about social distancing

Seems like some are simply making a token effort.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
It doesn’t work at our work. We still type a code into the barrier to get on site. Then we have to open doors. Before we went back we got sent a video showing a one way system. It doesn’t work. Only one in loos a lot a time, it doesn’t work. I could go on.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
As I said to my missus, the problem with all the restrictions and queuing is it is left up to each individual business how they interpret the guidelines and how they act on them. They never put into place solutions thinking how the customer would react or find them.

Social distancing isn't going to go away, but customer loyalty will do so, even more so with a bit of wet or cold weather, standing outside in the rain, 20minutes before you can get in the shop, or so

willothewisp

willothewisp
Site Supporter
I normally get petrol fill-up at Asda 10miles away when in that area, but shortly after lockdown, decided to just get £20 at local more expensive medium sized grocery cum petrol station store. Made sure to stop at £19:95 to minimise cash handling. Walked to store entrance to be told to join a 20+ queue! No way! Noting the security cameras overhead, I held up the £20 note before handing it to the startled assistant/queue manager, saying "sort it yourself", and left!

Status
Not open for further replies.