shogun line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milo

23/04/04 - 28/01/20
In Memoriam
Use it all the time. I use it straight through as well as for hook lengths. I don't know how it mike's up but i've had 15lb carp on 0.14mm and carp to 9lb on the 0.10. I use it at Rolfs up to 0.18 and have had hooks break before the line.
Bryan, who runs Buyggodtackle uses it as a reel line as well.

The 0.07mm is great for the canal

When you tie knots in it always wet them.

slappy2

been using it for ages now,bloody good stuff

milo ya right i ve had some brill fish using it on my milo pole and match one and never let us down!!

brill price 150m spools i use .12 and .14 mostly but like ya say .16 and .18 is proper stuff ;- )

ivgonfishing

its ok but its not as strong as it says (i test all my line)
and im not sure if its changed recently but both spools of the shogun line i have are not clear in color they have a slight clear brown tint to them, not that this is a problem just so you know as if your fussy like me and only like clear lines :)
When you tie knots in it always wet them
my thoughts exactly, its not the best line for knotting tbh there's a lot better line out there.
i don't know what its like as I've not seen or heard anything about it but when i was browsing bosfish the other day i noticed they had a load of silstar gear in along with a brand new line from them
http://www.bosfish.co.uk/PRODUCTS/monofil_etc/silstar_hook_length_line.htm
i will definitely be trying this one soon as the siltar match team line i have now(the popular one) is very good, thin, only a couple of ounces weaker than it says

hemphead2

hemphead2
exceptional line strength/ratio miight give it a go,post free as well

http://www.buygoodtackle.com/Line.html

ivgonfishing

0.16 says it breaks at 7.9lbs i just tested it 3 times for you, it breaks at 5.68lbs
tested by tying two figure 8 loops in the line so this is after knot strength

ivgonfishing

although not breaking at its stated strength it is still stronger than other lines including my favorite line silstar, i thought it was fine but i just preferred the silky smooth feel of the sistar line
other people think its good, a friend of mine who owns a tackle shop thinks its very good i think it all just comes down to preference
im hoping for my spools of line to run out soon as i want to try some of the lines which say they have accurate diameter and breaking strains, such as the fox micro plus and that silstar i put up a link to.
at the end of the day use a line your happy using

buygoodtackle

ivgonfishing- if you have done a "dry" strength test you may well have got that result, try repeating the test in water you will find that the line performs differently. This was explained sometime ago to me by an engineering friend- the stress caused by the tension is translated into heat as the line is prestretched, in air this creates a weak spot and the line snaps (usually not at the knot but half way along the length) when in water, or in contact with water , the water acts as a coolant and prevents this happenning. Sounds strange, I know, but it does seem to work out in practice. I agree 100% that the line you use is down to personal preference and confidence. You need to find the line that suits you and your style of fishing.

2ts

Site Supporter
Originally posted by ivgonfishing

0.16 says it breaks at 7.9lbs i just tested it 3 times for you, it breaks at 5.68lbs
tested by tying two figure 8 loops in the line so this is after knot strength
sea anglers used to deliberatly make a weak link in their rig by putting knots in and creating "rotten bottoms",so how can this be a fair comparison of line strength? as against stated main line breaking strain,you have put in two faults.
i know you have said this is after knot strength,but do all manufacturers specifiy line strength after knotting ?
regards 2TS

evolution

evolution
is the shogun the best in the range cos ive noticed their tornado brand has a very very low diameter

ivgonfishing

sorry i should have said, i always test my line after knot strength tying exactly the same knots so as to compare it to other lines i own,
after all, in use you have to put a knot in it somewhere so i like to know what its going to break at after i put the "faults" in
it wasn't meant to be any comparison etc just some info for the guys that asked about it

thanks buygoodtackle i never knew about this "dry and wet" testing i see what your saying completely about the friction and heat, yes a wet test might have a higher breaking strain but isn't the line under the most tension when your holding the pole/rod up in the air trying to land the fish? just wandering

Team Man

Originally posted by buygoodtackle

ivgonfishing- if you have done a "dry" strength test you may well have got that result, try repeating the test in water you will find that the line performs differently. This was explained sometime ago to me by an engineering friend- the stress caused by the tension is translated into heat as the line is prestretched, in air this creates a weak spot and the line snaps (usually not at the knot but half way along the length) when in water, or in contact with water , the water acts as a coolant and prevents this happenning. Sounds strange, I know, but it does seem to work out in practice. I agree 100% that the line you use is down to personal preference and confidence. You need to find the line that suits you and your style of fishing.

This would suggest that if a line is going to break, it's possibly going to break in the line that is out of the water first, Mmmmmm, that means there could be 10 or twenty yds in the water.

All the more reason to use a lower BS hooklength, and not fish straight through like I have done sometimes.

pieman

Has anyone tried the middy low-viz, i've been using it for my hooklengths for a few years now and i can't fault it[:T]

Morse

I have been using Shogun line for the past two years and now use nothing else. In all this time it has not let me down once. I also use Buy Good Tackles floats on most of my rigs again very good value for money.

legs230258

Site Supporter
I am a user and great fan of the Shogun line;although i have had some experimenting and a breakage with the first batch i am now totally confident with this line. I have found the line both cheap to buy and at 150metres a spool, a bargain,but what i did find was because the line is so strong i adopted a bad angling practice and stripped back hard on the elastic to net the fish quickly,and am sure that if i had took more time i would have landed the fish. However in a recent match i had hooked a large fish and time was called and after shouting fish on tried to hurry the fish to the net. I fish with pulla kits and stipped down to land 15lb+ fish and had a breakage where the hook was tied. I now fish with a pr36 hook which is barbless and because it a margin rig tie it with a knotless knot on a 3' leanth of line and totally WET the line and draw it slowly to tighten otherwise the nylon thins slightly with the friction caused by tightening and can break just where the hook has been tied.Since taking my time and i have even used a pole lube to assist tightening i have had no further fish losses, I'm a fan but as with all tackle you pay ya money and take ya chance;but i continue to buy this line for its overall good value for money.

buygoodtackle

Sorry for not answering earlier but have been out with a work commitment today.
Ivgonfishing and Team Man - as long as the line is in contact with the water at some point the heat will travel along the line and be disapated. It is only if the line is wholly out of the water-ie dry that the heat cannot escape.
Evolution - personally I have total confidence in Shogun but I also use Tornado for stick and waggler work as it has neutral bouancy so can be made to sink or float easily. Other people have confidence in Tornado for their pole work it seems to suit their needs. As I said earlier it is all down to personal choice- once you have found something you are confident with stick with it until you begin to have doubts.

evolution

evolution
dear buy good tackle, i shall be placing a order with you very shortly for some line and floats,

thanks for your advice buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.