Shiplate Farm

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I wanted to give a proper test to a new feeder rod I bought for skimmer fishing, so a trip to the lovely Shiplate Farm fishery was in order. Set up on peg 12, first job make the groundbait, then set up the feeder rod with a 4 square feeder, clipped up at approx 25m. Ground bait had a few dead reds and pinkies mixed in and I started getting indications from the first cast.

50BF58BC-9CC4-4E94-B046-E4D4689FE944.jpeg

In just over 2 hours I’d had 25lb or so of skimmers including one which was over 4lb, although it probably doesn’t look that big in the landing net. All on double flouro pinkie, I did switch down to a 3 square cage feeder, and drop the hooklength from 20” to 15”, they were taking it either on the drop or as it hit the bottom, but the shorter hooklength did give better indication. Regular casting was the key, if I didn’t get a bite inside 2 minutes, I’d be back in, refill the feeder and cast again.

F1E54C04-2C28-40C8-B01A-57528461FAB1.jpeg

So, well happy with the new rod, I’d highly recommend it for skimmers and it coped OK with a carp, when my mate had a go with it and put a banded pellet on. Cresta Blackthorne 3.00 light feeder is the rod, lovely action for the money.

Wondered if the fish would come shorter, so set up the pole at 13, a topkit with No7 Duraslip and a rig with spread 11’s, a 20 F1 hook on 0.10, dropped a ball of GB in at 13m, then every put in topped it up with a nugget from a tosspot, this worked a treat and I managed another 25-30lb of decent skimmers, double pinkie being by far the best bait again.

I had a very persistent visitor, begging for pellets....

7F4382B6-41AD-4A8B-9A51-C71A7509B362.jpeg

Last hour I switched to banded pellet, 6mm, feeding 6mm with a catapult on the same line, looking for carp, didn’t get one, but I did have a few more skimmers on it, but it wasn’t right for them really, water temp needs to go up a couple of degrees before they really switch onto pellets I think.

So a nice day, at a great fishery and next time out will be, at last, back to matches 😀

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thought I'd read you didn't like feeder fishing. 😁 Sounds like a nice day.

Total

Site Supporter
@Maesknoll .......As well as begging for pellets, the look on that gooses face.....To me he looks surprised/couldn't believe you were feeder fishing! ;):p

Reads like a nice day.....Well angled....(y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Good session by the sounds of it 👍🏻

I think you can call that one a proper bream at 4lb!

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
@Maesknoll .......As well as begging for pellets, the look on that gooses face.....To me he looks surprised/couldn't believe you were feeder fishing! ;):p

Reads like a nice day.....Well angled....(y)
He arrived after I’d switched to the pole, very persistent and was literally begging/demanding pellets, I gave him some dead reds, but he wouldn’t eat them and just kept on until he got some pellets.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Chris, how long has that fishery existed? I suspect it would have been a lot more fun than fishing the Axe and the strange little ponds on the (then) outskirts of Weston near Worle. It's scary how little of Weston looks familiar to me now, but I suppose it's been a long time since I was there.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Chris, how long has that fishery existed? I suspect it would have been a lot more fun than fishing the Axe and the strange little ponds on the (then) outskirts of Weston near Worle. It's scary how little of Weston looks familiar to me now, but I suppose it's been a long time since I was there.
Honest answer is I don’t know, my first visits there were in 2011 looking back in my blog, it has recently changed hands. It is right on the banks of the Axe, which was one of my favourite rivers years ago, those who fished it this winter had some good days on it. I used to like Bleadon straight and Lympsham down by the coal wharf. Some great fishing on the Axe back in the 80’s, given how it fished this winter, I may have a few trips there myself come the winter this year.

There were a few ponds around Weston, Worle, Highbridge and many other places, all along the railway, think they were emergency top up points for the steam engines, but they did end up full of fish.

Total

Site Supporter
Honest answer is I don’t know, my first visits there were in 2011 looking back in my blog, it has recently changed hands. It is right on the banks of the Axe, which was one of my favourite rivers years ago, those who fished it this winter had some good days on it. I used to like Bleadon straight and Lympsham down by the coal wharf. Some great fishing on the Axe back in the 80’s, given how it fished this winter, I may have a few trips there myself come the winter this year.

There were a few ponds around Weston, Worle, Highbridge and many other places, all along the railway, think they were emergency top up points for the steam engines, but they did end up full of fish.
Wasn't Shiplate bought by Mr Anderson the dart player?

Last edited:

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Things have changed so much that I can't even make out which one it was I used to fish. Looking at the masses of building that seems to have happened, it may not even be there. Nothing about the A370 or the area where it meets the A371 seems anything like my fading memories.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Things have changed so much that I can't even make out which one it was I used to fish. Looking at the masses of building that seems to have happened, it may not even be there. Nothing about the A370 or the area where it meets the A371 seems anything like my fading memories.
Its certainly changed, the old road into Weston still exists, but the new way in circuits round to the South and finally brings you in right in the ‘town’.