Shingles vaccination

dave the fish

Site Supporter
Following on from the thread on COVID boosters I have yet to have a shingles jab. The reason for not having it is because I have a compromised immune system, due to taking methotrexate for Arthritis, and the standard shingles jab is a live vaccine.
However I found out over a month ago that there is a new vaccine called Shingrix specifically for the immunocompromised. If you are over 70 and can’t have the standard vaccine then you need to contact your doctor and request they get it in for you (I’m still waiting for mine to arrive ☹️)
In our local practice a couple of unvaccinated people got a bad dose of shingles and one went blind and the other suffered severely reduced vision. So it’s well worth getting the jab.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I was offered the shingles vaccination a couple of years ago but I was asked if I knew and had regular contact with anyone who was being treated with chemotherapy or was pregnant, As it happens I had a close friend being treated for cancer and a neighbour who was pregnant so I had to delay the vaccination.

Finally had the vaccination on Monday.

alsur

Site Supporter
I had invite a couple of weeks ago and have been reluctant to take it because my wife is on immune suppressing drugs.

ATTICUS FINCH

Site Supporter
Bloody nuisance having to be over 70 to have the jab ,I have had shingles four times but still not eligible to have it because I'm only 63