Shimano spool compatibility

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I don't know if this has been asked before, but does anyone know of a site which will tell you which spools are compatible with which reel ? I know years ago I had several spools for my old Shimanos which had different code numbers, but all fitted. I may need a spare for a GT 4000 baitrunner.

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
Get in touch with these boys, they sent me 3 free spools they had hanging about for an old shimano reel i was given.

squimp

Site Supporter
Contacting Felindre servicing is a sensible idea.

Shimano reel sizing is an absolute joke.

I have a set of 1990’s Baitrunner Aero GT 4000 reels. they may be the same as yours. My spools (about 10) all say R4 on them. There was a 4500 reel at the same time and spools from that will fit - the only difference is that they are deeper.

I can’t remember whether they changed the sizes to 6000/8000 after the 4000/4500; or whether the 6010/8010 came first. Probably the former. I think those spools will fit The original 4000 series.

In later years Shimano did a 4000 sized baitrunner that is small - see below !! That must be when they finally decided to try (!) and standardise the sizes.

Note that the 4000 GT reels (fighting drag) are completely different and have much smaller spools. Just to confuse you further those reels were originally badged as 3000’s and also carry the same sized spools as the Aero match 3.

I still own and use the above reels (3000GT, 4000GT and Match 3) and have about 15 spools with allsorts of codes on them !

All of the above refers to rear drag reels; there are also lots of more modern Shimano front drag reels. Obviously their spools are non-compatible.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I have a set of 1990’s Baitrunner Aero GT 4000 reels. they may be the same as yours. My spools (about 10) all say R4 on them.
That is the one. Won a couple of reels on an auction, the shimmy and a mitchell 300, says R4 on the spool, but don't think the lot had a spare for the GT. Did look at Filendre first, but the site doesn't list it, so maybe a call is in order.

grey

Site Supporter
All of the above refers to rear drag reels; there are also lots of more modern Shimano front drag reels. Obviously their spools are non-compatible.

I assumed the same, but I discovered the other day that many spools from the current top-end ranges are completely interchangeable!

You're right on the mid to lower end front drag reels, non of the spools are compatible.

Felindre aren't the sole Shimano servicing agent they once were, though I'm sure they'll help if they're able. It might be as well to contact the Shimano servicing centre in Coventry. Loads of R4 spools on eBay, but post a pic on here if you're uncertain which spool and some maggotdrowner's almost certain to have a spare.

squimp

Site Supporter
That is the one. Won a couple of reels on an auction, the shimmy and a mitchell 300, says R4 on the spool, but don't think the lot had a spare for the GT. Did look at Filendre first, but the site doesn't list it, so maybe a call is in order.
There are a couple of used spools on eBay just now.

I bought mine new and they still work well. I think they have been serviced once or maybe twice in all that time - 25 plus years.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Couldn't see any spools, a couple of reels. I'll wait until it turns up, may just stick it on a 10ft barbel rod.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Hmm, that's odd, there's a couple there now, and a 4.5, not sure if that will fit, and that is why I thought(hoped) a compatibility chart might exist somewhere, ie, "you have xxxx reel and these spools will fit it".