Shimano Sahara 2500 rear drag any good?

Albert H

I'm after a cheapo reel around the £50 mark for canal work with light floats, and this Sahara 2500 rear drag has caught my eye.

Is this reel upto much or is there anything better around for £50 > 60.

Also, is a 1000 reel worth considering for this type of venue & light lines?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@Albert H

I have 2 Sahara's and wouldn't part with them. I find the fighting drag a boon when a 'bonus' fish hits. Brilliant reels. :upthumb:
You can get them cheaper if you shop around, like here...

Somersetlad

Aren't Saharas the ones with the anti-reverse permanantly engaged? For most of my canal fishing I use a Diawa Ninja 2508, it is front drag, which I don't find a problem, and comes with 2 spools for about £50. The Diawa Crossfires also looks ok, for about £30.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Aren't Saharas the ones with the anti-reverse permanantly engaged? For most of my canal fishing I use a Diawa Ninja 2508, it is front drag, which I don't find a problem, and comes with 2 spools for about £50. The Diawa Crossfires also looks ok, for about £30.

No they're not those reels. The anti-reverse switch is underneath the reel towards the spool. The Sahara also comes with 2 spools and you have a choice of single or twin handle.

Shimano Sahara.JPG

Albert H

No they're not those reels. The anti-reverse switch is underneath the reel towards the spool. The Sahara also comes with 2 spools and you have a choice of single or twin handle.

Shimano Sahara.JPG
Does the 2500 RD come with a shallow spool, or are they both deep spools?

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Does the 2500 RD come with a shallow spool, or are they both deep spools?

Not sure about the spools, I know one is shallow but I'm not sure if the 2nd spool is deep or shallow. On the 3000, I got one of each.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
have got a sahara 3000s for feeder fishing has done well this past year use a drennan series 7 9.30 float for waggler fishing comes with 3 spools for about 40 pounds

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Damflask Chris - is there much difference in size between the 3000 Sahara and the series 7 float (I have one of those)? Going to get my grandad a Sahara for his birthday and leaning towards the 3000 to be more versatile but will also look at the 2500. They’re in my local tackle shop now but haven’t had the chance for a proper look yet.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well I had a good look at them at the big one show but that was obviously a while ago now!

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
hi looks like spools on both about same size
sahara o.25 x 100m
spools for drennan 0.18 or .20 x 100m
0.14 or .016 x 100m
0.20 or 0.22 x 100m

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Great thanks sounds like 3000 is probably the size then. Like me he also has a series 7 float for his acolyte ultra so the plan is to get him the Sahara for his hardy marksman so small enough for float fishing but also have it big enough for some feeder work if need be as well.

floatfisher

Site Supporter
I use the Shimano Hyperloop 2500s for all my river float fishing, stick and waggler. Used them for years and they do the business for sixteen quid a pop. As well as loads of silverfish I've landed barbel up to 8lb with no line bedding. Only one spool supplied but spares were about six quid.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Despite plenty of misinformation, there isn't (yet) a single rear drag Shimano reel that has done away with the anti-reverse switch.

I think the problem lies with the switch itself. They are getting noticeably smaller and made to blend in with the reel body (as on the Sahara) and that's why nobody is noticing them.

Albert H

I got my Sahara 2500 rd a few days ago & it's really nice.

The 2 spools provided are neither deep nor shallow, both mid depth.

I'll be giving it a try tomorrow.

With regards the Drennan series 7 floatfish, I have one of those. I dropped it in the margin of a small lake about a year ago, & despite it getting full of silt & water - it's still working fine with no grinding, noise, etc.

Here is an image of both together. 20191005_120827.jpg 20191005_120827.jpg 20191005_122044.jpg

Albert H

Damflask Chris - is there much difference in size between the 3000 Sahara and the series 7 float (I have one of those)? Going to get my grandad a Sahara for his birthday and leaning towards the 3000 to be more versatile but will also look at the 2500. They’re in my local tackle shop now but haven’t had the chance for a proper look yet.
The Sahara 2500 RD is roughly equal in size to the Drennan series 7 floatfish, so the 3000 will be slightly bigger.

I've got both here. 20191005_122044.jpg

Simon R

Site Supporter
With regards the Drennan series 7 floatfish, I have one of those. I dropped it in the margin of a small lake about a year ago, & despite it getting full of silt & water - it's still working fine with no grinding, noise, etc.
That's quite a stern test for any reel - being underwater for a year - why leave it so long though.

Simon

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
The Sahara 2500 RD is roughly equal in size to the Drennan series 7 floatfish, so the 3000 will be slightly bigger.

You may well find that the only difference between the Sahara 2500 and 3000 is that the spool and rotor are slightly bigger. In many cases, the body size is the same.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I got the 2500 Sahara for my grandad this morning as they didn't have any 3000 in stock. Went for 2500 anyway as in my hand it felt a very similar size to the series 7 float but with deeper spools therefore offering enough versatility without needing to wait for a 3000. Was going to get the series 7 out to compare it this afternoon but with those pictures above that's saved me a job so thanks for that. Hopefully he'll be of the same opinion but I've got the receipt just in case.

Talking of submerging reels I managed to flip a kayak in Florida this year thus drowning my old tf gear match reel. It instantly went crunchy as hell, was interesting playing a redfish on it an hour later, but after soaking it in water and washing up liquid for a few days with the odd rinse under tap it recovered to almost as good as new. In light of that I'm not surprised that the series 7 having a dunk did it no harm if it had a good wash out afterwards.