Shimano reels.

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
Any of you guys or gals use Shimano reels for short to medium feeder work ie 25/40mtr, ive got in my armoury 2 Daiwa reels, 1 Preston reel and a Rive for long chucks so looking for something in the 3000 range to complete my needs, any recommendations greatfully received. Cheers.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Shimano Sahara 3000, I have 2 and can't fault them. They have fighting drag. Failing that, then the Shimano Catana, that comes in 2500, 3000 and 4000 size. If your budget can stretch to it, then the Shimano Stradic 3000. If you're looking for a baitrunner, then the Shimano ST 4000.

Last edited:

rufcuk

Your won’t go far wrong with any Shimano - but have a look at the browning sphere reels I can’t recommend enough

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
Thanks ukzero, would you say them 3 (sahara,catana and stradic) are very simular apart from price.? the technium looks a nice reel, not handled any of them so will have to go and have a butchers. (y)

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
I've got a stradic 3000 and a 4000 (the white ones), both great reels. Also have the lower end 2500 baitrunner which is a very good little reel for the price, very versatile.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
used shimano sahara 3000 for my stillwater feeder fishing played pike on them up to 7lb still running ok after a year

Steve47

I use a pair of 5010gt bait runners for feeder work on commies,must have had them for about 30 years now.still going strong never had any issues

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Thanks ukzero, would you say them 3 (sahara,catana and stradic) are very simular apart from price.? the technium looks a nice reel, not handled any of them so will have to go and have a butchers. (y)

I haven't used or owned a Technium so can't comment on it, but any of the other 3 will do the job nicely. :upthumb:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Going to be a bit controversial here but Shimano reels lost their appeal to me when they started production outside of Japan.
The build quality in terms of the engineering and quality of the materials both suffered and i doubt whether any of them will stand the test of time in comparison with Japanese built models.

Two of my favorites and still perfect after many years of use.........

Stradic 3000 GTM

1565088077762.png

Power Aero 3500 M

1565088141634.png

Paul22

Any of you guys or gals use Shimano reels for short to medium feeder work ie 25/40mtr, ive got in my armoury 2 Daiwa reels, 1 Preston reel and a Rive for long chucks so looking for something in the 3000 range to complete my needs, any recommendations greatfully received. Cheers.
I have 3 Shimano reels one front drag and two rear ........ can’t remember the model but they are 2500 and 3000 .......... I paid about £60 10 years ago and bought one second hand for £30.
They are worth every penny smooth robust and last for years ?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I still have three Japanese White Stradics as the picture but 4000 size I use sometimes for feeder fishing and they are 30 years old but quality, you cant compare them with the stuff sold today sadly unless its a Stella, there is nothing in their current range that I would buy unless I was going lure fishing or needed to replace my old 10000 GTE baitrunners.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
@Ken the Pacman you probably have a better overview from your position within the trade but it appears to me that Shimano are only interested in the carp/specimen side of things now and have virtually zero interest in the rest of the British market and if their current offerings don't suit so be it. :(

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Yes I would agree with that completely even the reels they try to push for feeder fishing are Carp Reels really and need about 5 miles of backing before you can put the normal 150 meters of braid on but Daiwa have blown them out of the water with the new TDR distance version
which is very much like a Castizm with shallow spools.
Some of the cheap Shimano labeled reels are OK but nothing at all special in their price range.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I still have my old Japanese Stradic GTMs. However, unlike some posters, I wouldn't use them in preference to either the much more recent Twinpower Ci4 RAs or the current Stradic Ci4+RAs. I'm not convinced either of the latter will prove to be as long lasting as the Stradic GTMs, but I have no doubt that they are both superior functioning reels.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I have a couple of these
If you cant get them, then the Baitrunner DL4000 should be perfect.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
I have a couple of these
If you cant get them, then the Baitrunner DL4000 should be perfect.

+1 for the MAP ACS 4000 FS, fantastic reel and really innovative clip system.

mimississ

Site Supporter
I use Shimano gte 8000 and GTE 5000c baitrunners for my barbel fishing on tidal Trent and Yorkshire rivers.... served me well for years.. never had a problem...keep them well maintained and you get years of trouble free fishing ?