Shimano Line Reducers

CarpCatcher86

Earlier in the year I bought two brand new Shimano Aero 4000 FA Match reels for float and feeder fishing. I had bought two of the same reels previously and sold them after deciding to stick to lure fishing (which lasted a while, lol) So I already knew how good this reel was before I bought my latest two. Both times I noticed that I had been sent two of the same size line reducers with each reel (one for each spool I thought) But have since discovered that each reel should have been sent with a match and shallow line reducer.
To anyone on the forum who has one of these reels or the feeder reel, have you been sent two line reducers of the same size, or have you been sent a match and shallow line reducer?
Also I noticed a thread I can't find anymore in which the aforementioned reels were being discussed. Someone mentioned that the match version of the FA4000 reel was unsuitable for feeder fishing, I was wondering if anyone could elaborate as to why that is? In my experience with the match reel, you have a lower gear ratio meaning less line retrieved per handle turn and a double handle when compared to the feeder reel.
Personally the lower gear ratio has never been an issue for me, I prefer the double handle and have happily used the 4000FA match reel for feeder fishing for quite a while.
Sorry for the slight subject change, I didn't want to start two threads.

grey

Site Supporter
Match reducer RD15399 takes the spool to 200m of 0.14 line
Shallow reducer RD15384 takes the spool to 240m of 0.18 line
Most Aero's came with both, but the Match only came with 2 Match reducers.

Match is fine for feeder, it's slightly slower that's all. As you say, the match does actually have a little more crank power (which is not what you'd expect), but due to the shorter reach double handle it doesn't feel like it. Quite a few anglers prefer the Match for feeder and vice-versa.

If you put the double handle on the feeder reel (as some anglers are understandably tempted to do), there's barely enough crank to get the feeder in!

CarpCatcher86

What threw me was the box the reels came in. Both say Aero 4000 Match FA and both show the line capacity on the back of the box, it states figures for line capacity with the match and shallow spool reducer and the capacity of the spool with no reducer.
You would expect the match reel to have more cranking power than the feeder reel due to the lower gear ratio. The match is 5,2:1 and the feeder is 5,8:1.
I've never used or handled the feeder reel so can't comment on it, other than the spec listed online.

lucc

Too bad they don't do these reducers for any type of spool (according to the reel size, of course)... :rolleyes:

CarpCatcher86

I can't remember the exact model, but my dad had a Shimano match reel which came with two shallow match spools and and normal capacity spool. This was so the reel could be filled with a light line, such as 3 and 4lb mono for float fishing and the full capacity spool could be filled with 8 10 or 12lb mono for feeder fishing. This was obviously way before the day of people having a different rod set up and ready for every different occasion.