Shimano Beastmaster CX Commercial Feeder Rod 9'-11'

Chervil

Site Supporter
I've been looking for a feeder rod to fish swims like this, that are a very short cast towards the lilies and a slightly longer cast into the cove on the left. I have been using an 11' Middy 4GS Baggin Feeder, but it's just feels too long.
These are the swims I fish for 2/3 weeks each year on holiday. I like the look of the
Shimano Beastmaster CX Commercial Feeder Rod, as I will be able to use it a 9' for swims like this, but also have the option, if required, of using it at longer lengths for the rest of the year. Does anyone have any feedback on the Beastmaster? I have also, without success, been trying to find the recommended mainline/hook length breaking strains. Any other recommendations will also, obviously be considered. Mostly Carp up to 3-4 pounds with the occasional larger one.

DSCN0710.JPG DSCN0727.JPG

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I have both the AX and the CX 9 - 11' Chervil. Both would be brilliant for what you want to do. These rods aren't as beefy as people think. In fact they make a really lovely skimmer rod. Why Shimano named them ' beastmaster ' I don't know. At that range Id probably start with a 1/4 ounce bomb, 4 or 5lb maxima main line with a 0.16 N-guage or Reflo hook length while pinging some pellets over the top. Depends how deep it is really. You don't want to be lifting the fish off the bottom if you are fishing a feeder or bomb rod. Will this tiny venue take a small method feeder ? Or do the fish back off after a couple of chucks ? Looks nice pal.

Chervil

Site Supporter
I have both the AX and the CX 9 - 11' Chervil. Both would be brilliant for what you want to do. These rods aren't as beefy as people think. In fact they make a really lovely skimmer rod. Why Shimano named them ' beastmaster ' I don't know. At that range Id probably start with a 1/4 ounce bomb, 4 or 5lb maxima main line with a 0.16 N-guage or Reflo hook length while pinging some pellets over the top. Depends how deep it is really. You don't want to be lifting the fish off the bottom if you are fishing a feeder or bomb rod. Will this tiny venue take a small method feeder ? Or do the fish back off after a couple of chucks ? Looks nice pal.
Cheers Mick, It's not as small as it looks, it's about 150 m long and 30 wide, i'm casting to an island in front of the lodge we stay in. Depending on how much rain we get about 3 foot deep and they will happily take the method all day long.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Cheers Mick, It's not as small as it looks, it's about 150 m long and 30 wide, i'm casting to an island in front of the lodge we stay in. Depending on how much rain we get about 3 foot deep and they will happily take the method all day long.
Wow ! Your photo makes it look a lot narrower than that. Or I really do need to get down to specsavers. 😆 Your beastmaster will be perfect for that. Don't worry if those angry carp put a bend in it. It can take it. I just wanna be there with you now. Looks great. 👍

Last edited:

Chervil

Site Supporter
Wow ! Your photo makes it look a lot narrower than that. Or I really do need to get down to specsavers. 😆 Your beastmaster will be perfect for that. Don't worry if those angry carp put a bend it it. It can take it. I just wanna be there with you now. Looks great. 👍
It's about 5 m to the lilies, 8 to the island and 12ish to the small cove. This shows the distance a bit better, with my untidy set up.

DSCN0704.JPG

Total

Site Supporter
@Chervil ...As our Mick said above, both decent rods and will do the job admirably.....BUT those pads/lilies look like serious terminal tackle eaters! :giggle:....Lovely looking spot though...(y)

Chervil

Site Supporter
@Chervil ...As our Mick said above, both decent rods and will do the job admirably.....BUT those pads/lilies look like serious terminal tackle eaters! :giggle:....Lovely looking spot though...(y)
I do tend to get through a fair few feeders!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
We do have our standards on Maggotdrowning and reputation to consider Mick...:oops:......If our Peter sees the state of that he'll be issuing more yellow cards! :rolleyes:;):giggle:
Point taken Mark. Arrestable offence I reckon pal. 😆😆

Chervil

Site Supporter
Thanks chaps. Rod ordered, just got to explain to my wife why I need rod 22. Actually less than that now as I gave some to charity. Will have to have a count!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Thanks chaps. Rod ordered, just got to explain to my wife why I need rod 22
You said it earlier mate .... You can't take it with you. Which would be a right downer if you get up there and find beautiful lakes and rivers stuffed with fish. Now that would pee me off. 😆😆👍