shimano baitrunners 2500 fa or fb

Philhunt161

been trying to buy a new Shimano 2500 fa baitrunner but everywhere seem to be sold out but there are loads of fb models whats the main difference they seem the same in look but the fa is a lot more money any help or advice would be appreciated have to say the fa model that i have is superb

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
been trying to buy a new Shimano 2500 fa baitrunner but everywhere seem to be sold out but there are loads of fb models whats the main difference they seem the same in look but the fa is a lot more money any help or advice would be appreciated have to say the fa model that i have is superb

On the face of it, an FB version is the second incarnation of an original FA model. However, F is the designator for front drag and A/B/C etc the version. What you haven't mentioned are the preceding letters (or name) that indicate the actual model. Current front drag baitrunners available in 2500 size are DL FB and ST FB. Both are the second version of the respective models but they are not exactly the same. The DL is more highly specified and more expensive than the ST.

solwood

Site Supporter
The DL/ ST 2500/4000 FB replaced the DL/ST FA models some time ago 4 or 5 years I would think.

Philhunt161

On the face of it, an FB version is the second incarnation of an original FA model. However, F is the designator for front drag and A/B/C etc the version. What you haven't mentioned are the preceding letters (or name) that indicate the actual model. Current front drag baitrunners available in 2500 size are DL FB and ST FB. Both are the second version of the respective models but they are not exactly the same. The DL is more highly specified and more expensive than the ST.

Attachments

• 88B6238E-CB41-4D4B-9233-EBE442073C24.jpeg
    88B6238E-CB41-4D4B-9233-EBE442073C24.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 18

solwood

Site Supporter
Tbh the difference between FA and FB are slight so unless absolute match is important I can reccomend them

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Yes, sadly the Aero baitrunners (and Aero Match/Feeder) have been discontinued.

DFL

Site Supporter
Tbh the difference between FA and FB are slight so unless absolute match is important I can reccomend them
I beg to differ having both models. The FA was a vastly superior reel in terms of materials and machining.

They still crop up on EBay now and again, two just recently, I got one of them in like new condition, the other looked grubby and well used but still fetched a lot of money, that alone tells you how much better they were than the current model.

solwood

Site Supporter
The FA must be some reel then. I have a number of 2500 and 4000 DL FB

I prefer the 4000 to 5010 aeros on my barbel rods

Philhunt161

I beg to differ having both models. The FA was a vastly superior reel in terms of materials and machining.

They still crop up on EBay now and again, two just recently, I got one of them in like new condition, the other looked grubby and well used but still fetched a lot of money, that alone tells you how much better they were than the current model.
I did bid on one the other day I lost although I went to 110 pounds so you may have outbid me if so I don't blame you they are a fantastic reel

solwood

Site Supporter
£110 wow considering they were sold M off at £55 when the FB came out and rrp was £80 ish that's astounding

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
The FA must be some reel then. I have a number of 2500 and 4000 DL FB

I prefer the 4000 to 5010 aeros on my barbel rods
I believe you may be talking at crossed purposes. The Aero FA was quite different to the XT/DL/ST models. The spool was of far greater diameter.

DFL

Site Supporter
I did bid on one the other day I lost although I went to 110 pounds so you may have outbid me if so I don't blame you they are a fantastic reel

I was surprised to have an offer of £130 accepted, another went a week earlier for £170!