Shimano Baitrunner DL 4000FB

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Has just arrived in the post. My Christmas gift to myself.

2019-12-28 16.39.58.jpg

First impressions are it feels a nicely built reel. Anyone else have this reel?

Now I just need to put some line on it.

I have a spool of 8lb Pro Gold sitting there but think I want 10lb and 6lb line on there. 10lb for Barbel and 6lb for other uses like Tench fishing and maybe some commercial Carp fishing. Any recommendations for line in those breaking strains?

Total

Site Supporter
@Zerkalo .....Is the spare spool aluminium as well please? Thank you,(y).....Stick with the Pro gold for the 6lb too. ;)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I have 6lb and 8lb on the spools my 4000 reels if that’s any sort of guide. Maxima for the 6lb but can’t recall the 8lb brand though as only used it a couple times.

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have 6lb and 8lb on my 4000 reels if that’s any sort of guide.

Tempted to just load the 8lb and forget about 10lb line as can't be too much difference for Barbel fishing. Well.... 2lb difference. :)

8lb should probably do it.

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Has just arrived in the post. My Christmas gift to myself.

2019-12-28 16.39.58.jpg

First impressions are it feels a nicely built reel. Anyone else have this reel?

Now I just need to put some line on it.

I have a spool of 8lb Pro Gold sitting there but think I want 10lb and 6lb line on there. 10lb for Barbel and 6lb for other uses like Tench fishing and maybe some commercial Carp fishing. Any recommendations for line in those breaking strains?

Yes, I have one of the above, brand new still in the box, been sat on a shelf in the garage for nigh on 6 years maybe more just never got round to using it

Originally bought with the intention of giving it to my lad to go barble fishing with but somehow we never got round to doing a few sessions together, my barble outfit is rigged with 5000's but there's nothing wrong with the 4000's

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It was a choice between 4000s and 6000s in the end as I think 5000s are discontinued? Not sure if that's right but that's what was in the shop. Went for the 4000s as will hopefully be using for Tench fishing too and am pairing it with an 11ft Korum Barbel Rod as well.

Thanks for all replies. (y) Think I'll stick with Pro Gold line when I eventually spool it.

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Funnily enough, I've got a pair of brand new unused Korum barble rods in the garage too, bought them to use as zander rods but never got round to organising a couple of zander away days

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Ha. It's going to be at least a few weeks, conditions allowing, before I get to test them out as I intend on the Severn. If I like them I'm going to buy a pair so I can go with my dad. :) I'm a one rod man for the moment. Hope you find as use for them sometime anyway!