Shimano Baitrunner 5000 RE (little review)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alnath

I bought one from http://www.fostersofbirmingham.co.uk for 54 and used it yesterday for the first time. Brilliant reel, dont pay more for the GTE version as the only difference is extra bairings and no spare spools, as both use worm gearing you cant really tell there are a few barings less to be honest as the RE is still silky smooth.

Beebs

I don't believe the RE is better for money at all than the GTE. An extra spool will probably set you back a tenner and a few more quid will get you the GTE and the difference in quality is definitely noticable.

I've got GTE's and know people with the equivalent RE's and the RE's feel cheap in comparison.

I always seem to be wanting spare spools for my reels, so an extra one for free is always welcome.

Larry

Lazarus
beebs i agree with you when i bought my original 6005 bait runners i got i normal 6005 &a gte one the gte came with a spare spool. gte was is better reel in my opinion.

Datafile2.asp

Anyone who stops learning is old.
Wether at 20 or 80.
Anyone who keeps learning stays young.
Cheer's Larry AKA as toma say's Shimano Man The Tackle Tart

Alnath

quote:Originally posted by beebs

I don't believe the RE is better for money at all than the GTE. An extra spool will probably set you back a tenner and a few more quid will get you the GTE and the difference in quality is definitely noticable.

I've got GTE's and know people with the equivalent RE's and the RE's feel cheap in comparison.

I always seem to be wanting spare spools for my reels, so an extra one for free is always welcome.

Spare spools are 7 quid and the difference in price even when discounted is 20, 30 if you are stupid enough to pay the retail price. I fail to see how something costing up to 30 quid cheaper can not be seen as better value (spesh when they feel identical to me) Maybe i am just a tight tyke eh. [;)]

John

Beebs

Horses for courses innit? I also quite like having the double handle on the GTE's as I think it gives a nicer balance. It's swayed me away from single handle reels altogether, although I do own a couple of singles, I generally use the doubles.

You can't get a spare spool around here for 7, 'cos the tackle shops don't stock them and to get one from Shimano is 7.50 for an RE or 10 for a GTE and 1.50 p&p (I'm not a nerd honest, but I've been pricing them up recently). So when you add that up, you're only paying and extra tenner for what I consider to be a better balanced, smoother reel. I don't know whether the double handle helps or the extra bearings or whether it's all just in my head.

At the end of the day, if you're happy with it, and it catches you fish then it's the best reel in the world. One thing is for certain though - whether it's the RE or the GTE, neither are a piece of junk. I don't think Shimano make a bad reel at all and although others will argue that there are better value for money reels out there, someone like me who hasn't got the time (can't be bothered) to look at all the other options, I think a Shimano is a pretty safe bet.[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.