Shimano Baby Baitrunners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiffy2

At the moment I am using a couple of Okuma Epix Pro baitrunner reels for my general fishing, but having had them for a good few years I'm thinking of a change.
I like the look of the new Shimano "baby" baitrunners (ST & DL 2500 versions), just wondered if anybody is using these and if so, what do they think of them?
Is it worth spending the extra to get the DL version over the ST? I prefer the "look" of the ST (not a great lover of twin handles) but reviews seem to indicate that the DL version is smoother in use.
My fishing is mainly light legering, freelining, float fishing for Tench/Carp.
As I say, it would be the 2500 version I go for because I prefer to fish light tackle.
Any advice would be welcome
Thanks
Rob

steveevans9

Excellent reels i have the DL version only 1 criticism is the line sometimes comes off the line clip. But reels are very smooth action i use mine when fishing the method really good piece of kit.

Smiffy2

Originally posted by steveevans9

Excellent reels i have the DL version only 1 criticism is the line sometimes comes off the line clip. But reels are very smooth action i use mine when fishing the method really good piece of kit.

Thanks Steve. Couldn't resist in the end. A fool and his money eh? Picked one up brand new off ebay for 58.99 delivered which was the cheapest price I'd seen anywhere. I'll give it a bash next week-end see how I get on and may well end up buying another one for the other rod. I don't want it to feel left out, do I?
[;)][;)][;)][;)][;)]

greentura

Greenie
had a couple of the 4000's for about6 months and did a review of them in 'tackle reviews' back in February http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/104879 still very happy with them and they show no sign of letting me down. i fish lines from 6-8lb with my 4000's and have the dl versions for feeder/ledgering as the handle balances better where ever you leave it [:T]

the 2500 size looked too small for my use and the distances i need to cast, up to 70m in some places, but for closer in it should be fine, perfect for commercial method feeder work or bottom work on rivers [:T]

Smiffy2

Well the reel turned up this morning and feels absolutely fantastic. Can't wait to give it a whirl on Sunday...along with the 2nd one which I've just ordered.
[;)][;)][;)]

Smiffy2

Originally posted by ak3038

Cracking piece of kit im about to order another dl [:T]

Can you, or anybody else that has a DL, confirm that the spool clicks when the baitrunner is on please?
I tried mine out this morning and was relieved to find it does because an owner (on another forum) said the only thing he didn't like about his DL was that it didn't click. I was a bit concerned because my current Okumas do when the baitrunner is in use.
Thanks
Rob

Smiffy2

Originally posted by greentura

not the loudest click, but click they do[:T] the 4000 dl's anyway[;)]

Thanks for the reply. The other guy must have a faulty one if his doesn't click...unless he has a problem with his hearing!
[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.