Shimano Antares vs Superteam Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

lp1886

Site Supporter
After realising Fosters were selling the Antares for 750 i decided to go to have a waggle. So off i set on a 60 mile round trip, it was the first time i had been and was amazed at the size of the shop.

The pole alley is fantastic with all the poles set up at 13M.

I knew that i could afford the Antares but i had never held a 'top class pole' before so had an open mind as to what to expect one felt like.

I started with the lower priced poles to get a feel and to see if i could tell the difference between poles in each price range. I was initially interested in the TKS20, Garbolino Squadmax 5, or Shimano Exage.

Now the majority of my fishing is at 10M, only occasionally when i have an away match will i have to fish any longer (11 - 12 metres) so i wasn't bothered about getting a pole to hold at 14.5 - 16 metres.

I tried the new Technium XTB 13M and didn't think it felt any better then my old pole Middy erextion.

I tried the Exage BX, it felt quite heavy (apparently the new shimano models are not as good as the older AX models).

I tried the Squadmax and it was drooooopy so i soon put that down.

I tried the Maver Invincible and although it felt very light it felt very fragile, not something to use for big fish.

I tried the TKS20 and it felt like a proper pole with a good spares package aswell so that went on the shortlist.

Next up the Shakespeare superteam power, at first i, like many others, thought Shakespeare...no way will that be any good. I picked it up and it was way better than the TKS20 at 13M, far more stiffer and i couldn't tell any difference in weight at all. Plus the spares package is better, i prefer the finish on the Shakespeare and the pole comes in at 16M which im highly unlikely to use anyway. I expected it to be far heavier with it being the Power model.

Then i thought i wonder what the Antares is like, if its 350 better than the Shakespeare then it must be awesome. Started off at 11.5M comparing the two poles side by side i could not seperate them (if i had my eyes closed i wouldn't have been able to say which one was what), tried them at 13M and 14.5M and then the difference was only marginal in favour of the Antares being better balanced.

Only when holding them at 16M could i tell which pole was the most expensive however the Superteam is not unfishable at that length however conditions would have to be calm.

So, seeing as i will only be using the pole to fish at 13M maximum i couldn't justify spending an extra 350 on the Antares.

I just hope my opinion of the Shakespeare doesn't change after i've used it a few times.

The pole came with a holdall, 3 match top 3 kits, 3 power top 2 kits, a cupping kit (without cups), a short number 4 section, and a 1/2M reversible extension. All in all great value for money i thought. [:T]

little_roach

Bazzer
Well all I can say is you've done the right thing bar being able to try one out on the bank which you can only do if you know someone with one. Sounds like you've got the pole that is right for you and you are happy with. Enjoy....

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisWilson

Bet it isn't better than my 8M shaker costing 20 [:p]

Came with spare top section, pre-elasticated and 2 rigs [:T]

Meat Master

ive heard good things about the shakeys mate so u should b ok.

powerarm

maverjase
i rang them today to buy one over the phone er er sold out cant see any other shop doing them for that price gutted or wot

lp1886

Site Supporter
Some shops are still selling it for 699 so it was no surprise they went like hot cakes. Ive used it a few times now and im really happy with it, mainly fished at 11 and 13 metres for 5 hours and it was easily manageable. Only used its power kits with solid 16 elastic aswell so it'll probably feel even better when im fishing with my match kits and a number 4. The top kits are very 'tippy' and the 3rd and 4th sections hardly bend when playing fish compared to my last pole which bent to the butt!! I've always been a bit sceptical about Shakespeare goods but so far so good...

Status
Not open for further replies.