Shimano Aero 8000 RE Overgunned ?

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Afternoon Chaps,

I have a pair of Shimano Aero 8000 RE Baitrunners that I acquired as part of basic carp set up. My question is would they be overgunned for using on say a couple of barbel rods - like the Korum Twin Tip Plus 12 Ft 1.75 Lb / 2.2 Lb for fishing the Trent. If they really are over the top, then I will sell them and buy a second Shimano 6000 ST reel as I own one already.

Thanks

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Afternoon Chaps,

I have a pair of Shimano Aero 8000 RE Baitrunners that I acquired as part of basic carp set up. My question is would they be overgunned for using on say a couple of barbel rods - like the Korum Twin Tip Plus 12 Ft 1.75 Lb / 2.2 Lb for fishing the Trent. If they really are over the top, then I will sell them and buy a second Shimano 6000 ST reel as I own one already.

Thanks
You asking for a friend Scribe ? ?. See, we did warn you. ????

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Personally Scribe I use two Shimano 8010's. Perfect for me but, my dad has smaller hands than I have and he uses a couple of the smaller 6010's. The Trent is a big river don't go under - gunning yourself. Try your 8000's first and see how you get on. ?

Scribe

Site Supporter
Personally Scribe I use two Shimano 8010's. Perfect for me but, my dad has smaller hands than I have and he uses a couple of the smaller 6010's. The Trent is a big river don't go under - gunning yourself. Try your 8000's first and see how you get on. ?

Good Idea Mick right that's reels sorted, just need to buy some line now and some rods whenever the shops get re-stocked.

If anyone needs me I will be back once I have used the search function and worked my way through the minefield of suggestions for line. :D

Total

Site Supporter
Afternoon Kev,....Again personally speaking The RE's mentioned above would do the job admirably (as well as the ST)..... Rivers like the Trent and Severn when trumping along take a decent reel to manage, yet give a good feel in more settled conditions....Both good choices..(y)

Scribe

Site Supporter
Afternoon Kev,....Again personally speaking The RE's mentioned above would do the job admirably (as well as the ST)..... Rivers like the Trent and Severn when trumping along take a decent reel to manage, yet give a good feel in more settled conditions....Both good choices..(y)

Thanks Mark - I'll see what the 8000's are like on a a rod and either keep them & sell the 6000, mind you the 6000 would work better on my Avon rod, so will keep it. I can see this is how anglers build up a large collection of rods / reels. :ROFLMAO:

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Hardly any difference between the 6000 and 8000 so either would be fine for the Trent or any river ledgering.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Hardly any difference between an 8000 and a 6000 so either would be fine on those rods for river ledgering.

Lcn

The 8000 6000 and 10000 are the same size bodies just different spool capacity . Not sure if they have changed the spool design like they did with the front drag reels but the spools should just interchange . I’ve got 6&8000 spools from re and gte-c for my 6000 size

Total

Site Supporter
@Scribe ......Can hardly wait Kev until you sort out what line you need.....This thread could be running longer than the 'Brexit' thread! :oops::ROFLMAO:

Scribe

Site Supporter
@Total I have come across a thread where @Zerkalo & @Dave were debating the merits of 8 Lb V 12 Lb line. :)

Should I split the difference and go 10 Lbs ? :ROFLMAO: I can see me causing no end of bother and there is still the topics of rigs / feeder types / leads, hook-link line and hooks to ask about. :eek:

Total

Site Supporter
@Total I have come across a thread where @Zerkalo & @Dave were debating the merits of 8 Lb V 12 Lb line. :)

Should I split the difference and go 10 Lbs ? :ROFLMAO: I can see me causing no end of bother and there is still the topics of rigs / feeder types / leads, hook-link line and hooks to ask about. :eek:

^^ :oops:....I'm taking the 'fifth' regarding the line question above!:oops::giggle::ROFLMAO:

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I have the Shimano Medium Baitrunners, basically a baitrunner version of a 5500 Ultegra and balance nicely on a 12ft rod, if the 8000's are similar size and weight should be no problem.

Scribe

Site Supporter
Thanks @rd115

The Shimano Aero 8000 RE - Gear ratio 4.5:1 / Weight 510g (18.0 oz) / Line capacity: 10lb-390m,12lb-320m, 14lb- 220m, 20lb-160m I do like that it has a flip handle to switch from baitrunner to rear drag.

Quick look at the Medium Baitrunners have a quoted weight of 560g so looking good for suitability. :upthumb:

I have only used a 3000 sized reel before, so the 8000 feels like a Big Pit reel to me. :ROFLMAO:

Total

Site Supporter
@Scribe ....Got to ask the obvious Kev,....What gear was you using when you caught your barbel? or was you using Chris's gear?

Scribe

Site Supporter
@Scribe ....Got to ask the obvious Kev,....What gear was you using when you caught your barbel? or was you using Chris's gear?

Hi Mark - Chris very kindly let me accompany him and to use his kit, mine was the right hand rod, which luckily for me is one the barbel decided it liked.:D

I kept Chris supplied with good coffee and scotch egg. :ROFLMAO:

Total

Site Supporter
Hi Mark - Chris very kindly let me accompany him and to use his kit, mine was the right hand rod, which luckily for me is one the barbel decided it liked.:D

I kept Chris supplied with good coffee and scotch egg. :ROFLMAO:

I must try 'scotch egg' as bait next time I'm barbel fishing! ;):ROFLMAO:

Scribe

Site Supporter
The 8000 6000 and 10000 are the same size bodies just different spool capacity . Not sure if they have changed the spool design like they did with the front drag reels but the spools should just interchange . I’ve got 6&8000 spools from re and gte-c for my 6000 size

Thanks @Ken the Pacman and @Lcn

I didn't know that about the interchangeable spools Lcn very useful thank you. :upthumb: