Sheffield canal

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
AS I am back at work tomorrow decided to spend a couple of hours on canal to see if a could catch a fish in 2021
most it was frozen over but where I caught roach perch odd skimmer and a crayfish it was ice free but there was a bloke piking so had to go further up canal on different section tried where I had seen roach shoal in warmer weather under a bridge only swim that had no ice on fished for a couple of hours but no bites and didn't help when I arrived 2 blokes where magnet fishing in the swim nearby so will try club lakes next week if they are not iced over

Attachments

• 20210101_115130.jpg
    20210101_115130.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20201231_145136.jpg
    20201231_145136.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 24

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Crayfish in the Sheffield canal 😡😡. I didn’t know that. Well done for getting out and having a go though. 👍

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I hooked a crayfish when we were at Alders Farm, never seen one before. Luckily it fell off as I was swinging it in. I was thinking "how the hell do you unhook these things!" On pellet as well.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
I hooked a crayfish when we were at Alders Farm, never seen one before. Luckily it fell off as I was swinging it in. I was thinking "how the hell do you unhook these things!" On pellet as well.
Crush under your heel and pick your hook out of the remains, if it is a signal or other alien species!

commieboy257

Account Locked
watched a youtuber video of a lass carp fishing. the place looked so rough I'm surprised she wasn't killed for her kit!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
red claws so american version i think first one i ever seen in real life
Only ever seen one myself but, that was one of ours. A light brown colour. That was in the waters edge in the river Swale one time. Looked like a tiny lobster. 😁

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
watched a youtuber video of a lass carp fishing. the place looked so rough I'm surprised she wasn't killed for her kit!
we walked to boat marina further down yesterday was blokes drinking special brew down there so ok during day not sure i would fish nightime or early evening was told by flask bailiff can be dodgy on canal

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
Only ever seen one myself but, that was one of ours. A light brown colour. That was in the waters edge in the river Swale one time. Looked like a tiny lobster. 😁
have caught a lobster on holyhead breakwater cooked it while we where there tasted ok
had a crayfish on keepnet on canal now know your supposed to kill them if red

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
have caught a lobster on holyhead breakwater cooked it while we where there tasted ok
had a crayfish on keepnet on canal now know your supposed to kill them if red
Yep. Get em knocked. I’m surprised they are in the Sheffield canal. Crikey. 😩

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Flipping crayfish were becoming a right problem here a few years ago you’d get one almost every session on most stretches if feeder fishing and even the odd one on the float. Thankfully their numbers have really plummeted on most stretches in the last 4 or 5 years to the point they are a like once a season capture now across those stretches now. Do know a couple stretches where they are still a real nuisance though.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Respect for giving it a go Chris - wonder if your special brew lads are related to the ones who frequent some of the town stretches of the Medway ;)

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Our club pond used to be a crayfish farm and the upper pond a salmon farm had a pump from bottom to top to make a flow, there are still cray in both catch them regularly, never last long under my size 10 cant use meat in the edge or corn there are just to many.