Sheffield - 20th June

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanP

'EastAngler'
There is a very good chance I will be in Sheffield on Saturday 20th June with a few hours to kill whilst my son is taking part in a Chess tournament.

I don't know the area at all, so am looking for any suggestions on somewhere I might be able to fish from, roughly, 10am till 4pm.

For those that do know the area I will be fairly central in the City, at the Octagon Centre, if that helps at all.

Thanks

AlanP

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
AlanP.. Should that be 20th july not june?
the nearest to the city centre is canal fishing if you fancy that. 5mins. away, if you fancy that i'll post you directions or i might beable to meet you and show you where to fish,

teepee.

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Teepee

Yes I did mean the 20th July, not June !

Thanks for the reply, and the offer.

As soon as I get confirmation that we are going I'll get in touch.

AlanP

breambasher

hi im from sheffield there are quite a few places to fish in and around sheff, it depends what you want to fish for,the river is doing well. so if you want to bring the wife let her have a browse around meadowhall shopping centre and you have a couple of hours on the don.not far away theres the canal which is a bit hit or miss,head out towards rotherham and theres the hovis factory stretch of the don that is fishing very well anything from 10 to 30lb of roach chub skimmers and dace.if you need any more info let me know.

im mad for it

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Teepee,Breambasher

Thanks for the offers of help. After checking out the details for the event it looks like I'm going to have to reamin with my son and miss out on the fishing this time.

I will take the opportunity to go into Bennets while I'm in the area though and have a look round.

How have you found their gear/service?

AlanP

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Alan,
Shame youre not up for longer, I'm only 10 miles south of Sheffield.

Bennett's?
IMHO and without prejudice, just my thoughts and based on mail order only experience, with no axe to grind and a Solicitor in Middlesborough!

KRAP.

Inefficient, never answer E-Mails except by automated response!
Slow untraceable delivery and price can always be beaten!
Compare in the Comics!
Send me E-Mails about Advance special deals and the web link won't open!

They tell me that the display room is impressive,

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Alan, Bennetts is well worth a visit, plenty of tackle on display, with loads of rods & poles all set up to have a feel at. also 100yards away across the main road is Calcotts which is like an aladins cave of fishing tackle well worth a look.

teepee.

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Whilew I'm up that way I was going to try and call in on Used Tackle at Hucknall. They've had a few mentions on here and sound quite good.

Has anybody used any of their "own brand" Dragon Carp gear?

AlanP

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Yes Alan,
Scruffy little shop, but damned good value!

I replaced most of my stolen kit there yesterday and did a good deal with Roger.
The shop is a tip though and there is no display area! so dont expect to see anything unless they go and fetch each item for you.
I got a 10 Force, fully Waterproofed Quilted Jacket and Bib and Brace set, with zipped legs on the B & B and integral hood on the Jacket for 40.
It's as near as dammit to the Shakespear thermal I lost , but that was 89.95 from Bennets!
Specimen Landing net and handle in a strong zipped case by Dragon 20.
Match Concept 20' rod, 99.99 and a free massive keepnet.
Its just off Junc. 27 (about 5 miles) but as I say, not much to see.

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

darryl

try calling in to the bulwell branch of used tackle lot`s more show area.the dragon carp range is good gear at cheap price`s the padded chair`s are great value at 20 ask for mat at bulwell or roger at hucknall bulwell shop is 4 mins j26 m1

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Just to update you all on events in Sheffield, not fishing specifically, but it does raise the question of whether the Zippy Curse attacks anybody who ventures into that part of the world.

I got ready to leave work in Cambridge at about 4.30 on Friday 19th, to pick my son up from my wife who was going to drive him over here, and then onto Sheffield.

I went to the loo on the way out of the office and broke the zip on my jeans (Zip - Zippy!!!) before I'd even left. This left me with only a pair of shorts, not a problem I thought the suns out and it's warm anyway.

Travelled up to Sheffield O/K, roads a bit slow what with it being a Friday night and the first week of the school holidays for most areas. As we approached the City it started to rain, so by the time we'd dashed across the hotel car park I was soaking.

Dropped my son off at the Octagon Centre on Saturday morning for his chess tournament and went off to Used Tackle at Hucknall.

Trev, you were right, not exactly the best tackle shop display I've seen. Anyway got myself sorted out with some new carp rods, baitrunners, alarms, pod etc. etc. Prices were very good and the staff helpful.

Back onto the M1 heading north back to Sheffield and the heavens opened, we were down to about 5mph going through what seemed to be a small river, not a motorway. Suddenly there was a sickening thud and a lot of crashing noises coming from under the engine. I pulled over to the hard shoulder, got out - still in my shorts, got soaked through before I'd even got to look at what was making the noise - and found the "tray" that sits under the engine compartment had parted company with the bumper supports it was supposed to be attached to.

I limped the last 6 miles back to Sheffield, with it grating along the road all the way. Took it into a Kwikfit I passed and one of the lads in there kindly put it up on the ramp and atempted to fix it back on. Unfortunately there wasn't enough whole pieces left to work with so he took the lot off which allowed me to drive around without scaring pedestrians and being hooted/flashed by every car that passed by.

So there I am in Sheffied, soaked through in my shorts and with half of the underneath of the car missing! I'm sure the curse must be locality based, I've never heard of that tray falling off before (and neither has the VW dealer who will be fitting a new one later this week!).

Anyway alls well that ends well, the chess went well. Although my son didn't win he put up a credible performance by finishing in the top half of his age group section (this round was for approx. 1500 kids out of a national entry of 56,000). According to the organisers this puts those who had qualified that far into the top 200 or so in the UK for each age group section.

AlanP

Status
Not open for further replies.