Shed Roof - would you be happy with this?

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Had a 10' x 8' shed installed yesterday, and don't know what I should expect of the roof.
We paid £300 extra for a butyl rubber roof with a 10 year guarantee.
The fitters were late arriving, and they finished in the dark and in the rain.
The far side is fine - that went on first.
But the near side has a number of wrinkles which are unsightly. I was told that these would settled down soon.
I have not yet paid the bill.
Is this to be expected? I am no DIY er!

IMG_1912.JPG

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
No, it should be flat to the roof and seamless.
Butyl is supposed to be fit in one piece without joints.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I'm no builder, as my DIY attempts would make obvious. That looks like the sort of thing I would do. Get them back and good luck.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Looks like they were in a rush to finish it. I wouldn't pay them till it's put right.

Gwillim

Agreed with the above, hold on to your hard earned until its put right to your satisfaction.

JayBee

Site Supporter
I've only installed one butyl roof, 18months ago on a 11ft. x 7ft. gazebo roof........working on my own as a then 71yr. old........proper upvc trims and fascias.
Following the installation instructions to the letter it was not too difficult........I would not put my name to the job on that shed roof.
I strongly suspect that those wrinkles will have trapped air, and in strong sunlight will turn into significant blisters.

Backwoodsman

Site Supporter
pay half of the bill, with the proviso that you will pay the balance when the job is completed to your satisfaction.

TonyA

Site Supporter
When (if) the weather gets warmer the roof will expand making the wrinkles worse.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
pay half of the bill, with the proviso that you will pay the balance when the job is completed to your satisfaction.

I wouldn't pay any of it. If you pay half, they might not come back at all.

davylad

I did a very similar small outbuilding roof for a mate with rubber, he already had all the gear. I would liken it to putting wall paper on, adhesive on roof first, then I used a plastic type of smoother to get all the air out as I laid the rubber in one piece. His roof was flat, so might have been a little easier than yours, but it was a doddle and there wasn't a crease at all. That was about 4 years ago, and as far as I know job was a good un.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
It looks like the butyl was folded, and that it is a fold joint with air traps and excess. Not good. Look at their company literature for other shed roofs so you can clearly say - not like advertised.

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
I would not be happy at all, I would send them an e-mail including that photo and withhold payment.
Have you a photo of the other half of the roof?

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
It looks like the butyl was folded, and that it is a fold joint with air traps and excess. Not good. Look at their company literature for other shed roofs so you can clearly say - not like advertised.

Sadly, no photo on the shed manufacturer's website, they normally supply with felt roofs.
Delivery, installation and EPDM rubber roofs are supplied by a subcontractor, so on a separate contract.

The owner of the installation company is coming to see me on Monday with what he says is a quick fix.
I'll let you know.

Good at least to know that I have the backing of a number of good folk who know about these things.
Thank you!

And if all goes tits up, I shall release my bulldog of a missus, who is already foaming at the mouth and snarling.
That should scare 'em.

Unless ... are you busy on Monday, @Trogg? :devilish::D

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
I'm always ready for a trip to Brid if needed.
Hope all turns out well, please let us know the outcome.