Shearsby Lakes

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
I was fortunate to have been invited earlier in the week to have a days fishing with some friends at Shearsby Lakes near to Bruntingthorpe in Leicestershire on Friday 23 Oct. I have never been here before so a nice change, and it must only be the 2 or 3rd time that I have ever fished a commercial fishery in my life, so a learning curve in both ways.
We had the Hurricane Lake pre-booked for us and we made our short walk to the lake from the car park, which must have been about 50yds. The wind was blowing straight across the water where there were half the pegs, and the opposite side to it was open, but really exposed We knew that the best side for the fishing was probably the side with the wind blowing into our faces but decided to go for the side where the wind would be at our backs. A wise decision as it happened as the wind dropped, so that either a brollie could be set up behind you as a wind break, or as in my case the back of my chair would do the same thing.
I decided to float fish and plumbed the depth and found a nice drop off and fed that and fished it. I knew that it would be slow going with it being much cooler, and the water was cold too. Now it isn't a match or competion at all just a nice relaxing day pleasure fishing. I don't fish matches of any description any way so good for me. I don't use a keepnet either as it's more to carry.
I put a hand full of mixed colour maggots in and after around 10 mins I had my first bite, that was as I call them a flask bite, as I was just having a swallow of coffee when it went, so missed it.
This time though I didn't spill my coffee all down me like I normally seem to do.

Through out the day I had a nice catch of fish, 3 mirrors of approx 3lb each, a lovely little mirror of somewhere in the region of 4-6ozs, a lovely crucian of about the same and then 15 F1s.
I missed a few but don't mind as I enjoyed myself with the fish I caught anyway. I also spent quite a while just watching the bigger fish on the surface, just milling about. A ghost carp among then of around 8lb (another member of our party caught it later on and it weighed just over 8lb)

The venue is a credit to the owners, very clean and well maintained, with proper paths to your slabbed peg. The cafe food is excellent, the coffee is in a big cup that must hold at least 3 vending machine sized cups. I can't comment on the price as it was all a treat for me and I wasn't allowed to see the prices.
The onsite tackle shop is, as good as, or better than a good deal of town centre ones with loads of stock of just about every thing.

I can honestly recommend this fishery, and will definately have a return visit or 2. The only reasons that I haven't been before are that it is at the other end of the county to me, and a pain to go through the city to get to it, and the other one is that I was unaware of it's existance.

I also sat watching a red kite sat on a post just a short distance from where I was fishing for a while too.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
That sounds like a good day out (y). They have drained and remodelled the lakes completely recently, and also updated their website since I last looked at Home | shearsbyvalleylakes. There are videos of the draining, netting and remodelling on their Facebook page. It's £9 a day, £6 for pensioners. I never made it back there under the new owners (or even the previous owner NickatCJs who posted on here) before leaving Leicestershire.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Nice write up of a nice day's fishing.

Yes the new owners have made a new fishery that bears little resemblance to what they took over. I have only fished it a couple of times since the changes, managed to win the first time. I really should make the effort to get back soon.

Whisker

Site Supporter
Potentially, any good for an MD match Neil?
Match lake has 36 pegs so 20-24 anglers max.

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
Thank you for the nice comment Neil, I've not done a write up or review before.
I'll try and do a few more if and when I catch again :) :)

Whisker

Site Supporter
Thanks Tony, will check it out Xmas/early Jan and have a think about it ?

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Thanks Tony, will check it out Xmas/early Jan and have a think about it ?

I would happily join you for the day mate, I have a score to settle with some carp there. :D:D

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
Nice write up, I live about 20 minute drive from the place (looking on Google maps) and may look to fish it when the rivers are out of action.

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
Scribe I promise not to get you to buy guru hooklenghts again if you go to shearby? ????

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
He probably hooked them in the tail, up the ass, in the fin, in the gill etc

Scribe

Site Supporter
@chefster you attach your hooklinks direct to your pole Ahhhhh that's where I have been going wrong putting them on a mainline then. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You been fishing ultra shallow for F1's again ? :D:D

The 4 inch LWG's don't work great for me on a pole rig. :(

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
@chefster you attach your hooklinks direct to your pole Ahhhhh that's where I have been going wrong putting them on a mainline then. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You been fishing ultra shallow for F1's again ? :D:D

The 4 inch LWG's don't work great for me on a pole rig. :(
LWG, s are one of the best hooks going , I think the fish weren’t hooked properly, or your elastic is wrong, or your making mistakes trying to land them

Scribe

Site Supporter
LWG, s are one of the best hooks going , I think the fish weren’t hooked properly, or your elastic is wrong, or your making mistakes trying to land them

Seriously though could be the elastic, reckon I should have stepped up for the bigger carp at Shearsby. In my defence I never fished it before so didn't know what was in there.

I knew they were hooked in the lips as two of them I had on the top just bringing them to the net and ping out the hook popped. What I don't get is they coped with the fight, even if I did have to dip the pole tip under to ease some of the runs, I kept the pole tip at an angle and brought the carp up to the surface in stages.

Scribe

Site Supporter
Chefster you didn't have to watch Srcibe loose fish after fish at Shearsby like I did ?
The biggest shock was him hooking them in the first places ???
Sorry Kevin .

Rumours that I can't catch fish are unfounded Tony........I just can't always land em. :D:D