Shakespeare President Quiver 1833-350

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Hi Folks
I picked up a Shakespeare President Quiver 1833-350 Feeder Rod with built in spliced tip for £25 from eBay recently.
It comes with both butt sections and the rod can be fished at 11ft 4in and 9ft 10in in length.
It looks a nice rod from the pictures with plenty of rings added to blend the spliced glass tip into the carbon blank.
Hoping to use it as a River Silvers Quiver Rod.
I was just wondering has anybody else got\had one of these rods and what you thought of it?
All the Best
John

Deejay8

Site Supporter
They were a very good rod. However they did have one drawback in the spliced in tip. The rod was developed in Ireland for bream and hybrid fishing, and excelled at it. However when the Shakespeare match team used the rod in England, they found the tip a bit too stiff for a lot of silver fishing on stillwaters and slow moving rivers. After a year or so, with the input of the Shakespeare match team, the rod was changed to having two push in tips, one with a similar action to the original spliced tip, and another lighter tip. So you will have to give it a go, and see how you find it. But all of the President rods are good.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Thanks very much @Deejay8
I wondered why there was a push in tip version which I think has a cork handle.
I'll mainly use the rod on a river 8ft deep with a steady to fast flow so should fit the bill :upthumb:

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Thanks very much @Deejay8
I wondered why there was a push in tip version which I think has a cork handle.
I'll mainly use the rod on a river 8ft deep with a steady to fast flow so should fit the bill :upthumb:
I've got the 13ft President match rod, and it was one of the best rods of it's day, and if you are ever planning on trotting on a river with a stick float, either the 13ft or 14ft version is superb. I've seen them selling for around £30, so if you ever want a match rod to compliment the quivertip version, then keep an eye on Ebay.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
I've got the 13ft President match rod, and it was one of the best rods of it's day, and if you are ever planning on trotting on a river with a stick float, either the 13ft or 14ft version is superb. I've seen them selling for around £30, so if you ever want a match rod to compliment the quivertip version, then keep an eye on Ebay.
Top man. I've read people talking about The President Match and The Borons with both regarded very highly.
For £30 it won't brake the bank and would be nice to try, as modern rod actions are very different to that of old.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Top man. I've read people talking about The President Match and The Borons with both regarded very highly.
For £30 it won't brake the bank and would be nice to try, as modern rod actions are very different to that of old.
My President is probably my most prized bit of kit. I absolutely love it and I have caught so many good fish on it. The model to look out for is the 1835 which has a 3/4 cork handle with a black section at the end. It has a beautiful spliced tip action, but also a surprising amount of power in the middle. Do be careful with the rings though. Original ones have unlined rings apart from the tip and butt rings, and so they need to be checked for wear. The Mach 2 Boron match was another very good Shakespeare rod from the same period.