Shakespeare Memories

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
well found!! that's the rod and my memory looks to be intact!

as I said upthread ... it was way too fierce an action for me ... having cut my carbon teeth on the DAM Quickstick.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
They could do with a bit of a refresh these days, right? Feels like they've dropped way of the pace in comparison to the big names in match AND specimen gear.

baldpaul

Site Supporter
I remember when the Shakey glass fibre telescopic landing net poles were the go to pieces of kit for all aspiring matchmen. A step up from those telescopic green aluminium handles with the locking nut.

Spiro

Site Supporter
still use this today,as a reference,when my memory won’t kick into gear ,old knots ect,still a great read,think it was printed in 1987,anyone else have this ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 18

Deejay8

Site Supporter
The President listed in the 1981 catalogue is the Mark 2 version

In 1979 both the Mk I and Mk 2 (the Supermatch) were both listed - quite a difference in price

1979 President.jpg

It's the Mark One I own - these are quite rare but not particularly sought after simply because they're not very good :p
Check out the difference in the thickness of the butt sections

With the Supermatch I think Shakespeare had learned to temper the action of the carbon fibre by adding a little glass to introduce a bit of give in the lower sections. These rods are still used today by river anglers looking for a spliced-tip carbon rod.

Simon
My President is the MkII Supermatch. It's still a very tippy action so very little bend in the rod when catching small silvers, but hook a small carp, tench or bream and it bends ok. I have heard the mk1 President was far fairly ferocious in it's action. Like I said, the mkII Supermatch was just about perfect on the river with a stick float
The Mach II Boron was a little stiffer and didn't feel as good to me.

davylad

Site Supporter
I still use a Shaky box, when I go beach fishing. The trouble is, the more space you have the more you fill it, and I've nearly fell down some steep cliffs more than once.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Their glass rods in the Shakespeare Alpha with the soft tip and Match international were very good rods. Although I didn't care much for the President or Mach 2 Boron, the original Superteam 14m pole was a superb bit of kit equally as good as the Shimano Diaflash or the Daiwa Connoisseur despite being cheaper.
@dave brittain 1 ... was that the early 90s Superteam pole?? I've got a hazy memory of drawing next to Kim Milsom on the grand union (somewhere near Heyford iirc) on a really windy day. We both had mid 2 pounds of little roach and I think I won the section (but I could be wrong). I'm pretty sure that he'd moved to Essex County by that stage ... but was still using the superteam pole.

Could add to this thread with "memories" of the superteam ... I'm pretty sure that the original line up of six was
Clive Smith
Ken Giles
Max Winters
Steve Webb
Dave? Williams
Tony Davis (the colonel)

adriang

Site Supporter
My father has known a few of the Shakey Superteam for years, which used to result in a few hand me downs and freebies. My first pole came from Max Winters, and I've still got a Mach 2 and a Sigma Wand that I occasionally use, my father has a few rods in the garage, both Shakespeare and a Diawa swingtip rod that was won in a competition (I think by Max). Max used to run 'teach-in' sessions on the Glos Canal which I used to attend. I don't actually remember catching anything on any of them..

62tucker

Site Supporter
Memories gone on.
Bought this 7ft rod for my daughter when she was a kid around 30 years ago for a holiday up Northumberland. Rod still used today and now with a Mach 3 reel. Tried others but this is still the best caster of a 2/3bb float with worm on a size 18 with 2lb line straight through. Walking up or down stream with wellies on, casting under branches or dropping in a small rapid.
Tried to get other daughter and son the same over the years but never seen the same. But has been pasted down to whoever here at the time. F66A99C3-2DB3-4128-BEA2-9C718AD60DE3.jpeg 813BE37A-2CD6-4355-9350-8B3FA6B1A54B.jpeg

Pompous git

Site Supporter
If you ask him nicely perhaps @G0zzer2 would sign it for you. ;)
Without looking I think there is a picture of a half naked Gozzer sorting his worms out. I think it`s great you can talk to all sorts of
angling gods on here.

I`m off to the tackle shop, no idea what to buy but you know what they say about a fool and his money.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Memories gone on.
Bought this 7ft rod for my daughter when she was a kid around 30 years ago for a holiday up Northumberland. Rod still used today and now with a Mach 3 reel. Tried others but this is still the best caster of a 2/3bb float with worm on a size 18 with 2lb line straight through. Walking up or down stream with wellies on, casting under branches or dropping in a small rapid.
Tried to get other daughter and son the same over the years but never seen the same. But has been pasted down to whoever here at the time.
I've got something very similar (Shakespeare Sigma) but only 6 feet long
Bought it whilst on holiday in California in the mid-90s - I took a tupperware tub of gear with me, intending to buy the rest of any kit I needed over there -bought that and a brand new Mitchell 300 for something like $30 for the pair.
Didn't really intend to do a great deal of fishing but did get a couple of sessions on Lake Mead (behind the Hoover Dam - supplies Las Vegas with water) fishing for carp, with the rod propped up on a couple of rocks. It performed admirably - 9 carp the first day and 16 the second - nowt over about 5lb but all commons and all fighting fit. Now resides in my pike fishing holdall with a Daiwa Sweepfire strapped to it

Used to have a black solid glass Shakespeare spinning rod (metal ferrules) - a previous owner had reduced the diameter of the last two feet, so it was almost like a very short tip rod. That was the rod I used on the little North Yorkshire becks - the tiny River Seph in Bilsdale and Esk up at Westerdale being particular favourites - fishing much as you described. I can still remember the names we gave some of the swims on the Seph - the pool, the sugarbowl, duffers bend, old oaky and tiddlers corner. A 10" trout would be a monster and most were 6" - only ever caught a single grayling on the Seph and never had one on the Esk.

Can't remember exactly what happened but the ferrules got bent and deformed beyond repair so the rod got binned - we'd spread our wings by then anyway and headed for the 'grown-up' rivers like the Swale, Tees and Ure 😁

Simon

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
I was a stubborn (stupid?) chap and refused to fish with pole until around 1988/9 when I saw the light.

My first pole was a Shakespeare model and I wonder if anyone could identify which one it was; just for my curiosity. I seem to recall it cost £120ish, was 10.5 metres and was a brown colour with a crossweave pattern. Bought 1988 or 89. It came with a spare top kit. Although a heavy old brute it served me well for four years until I moved onto a Daiwa 12m Tom Pickering Matchwinner.

Like so many keen anglers I had a collection of the Shakespeare catalouges which I used to pore over! Probably had them back to the mid 70's but gave them away awhile back hence my question regarding the pole.

TIA,
Paul

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I still have a Shakey Polystel Alpha 13'... Its a lovely rod... bought it brand spankers in 1979... its pretty much the only Shakespeare tackle I've ever owned other than a closed face reel which was awful and got moved on

Spiro

Site Supporter
My old 13ft Shakespeare match rod nd box,also Diana 11ft 6 black shadow feeder rod,still use every week ,but the box is storage only now,I love playing carp on match rod,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 9