Shakespeare Memories

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Funnily enough I used my old original Shakespeare Sigma Wand in a club match yesterday. I dont know if there is a modern equivalent where if a minnow burbs on the bait it registers a bite!

The picture is my mrs with a Shakey T shirt on in Cornwall. It was quite a conversation piece.
Some would say they didnt know the Bard went fishing and others would guess the double entendre ...

a penis is a rod in your hand.:D Still a cracker after 52 years of marriage.

1984-Gweek-2.jpg

Go on John. You know you want to. 🤣🤣

Attachments

• A863DA78-F507-489D-BA3D-66C084E76045.png
    A863DA78-F507-489D-BA3D-66C084E76045.png
    502.4 KB · Views: 40

BoldBear

My Shakespeare Match international was still winning me matches in the very early 80s after treading on it a couple of years earlier then and fixing it using some fibreglass cloth and resin from the car repairers.

I loved that rod :)

Keith

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I’ve still got my old Shakespeare seat box along with the Shakespeare tackle box that sits under the lid. I use it for storage nowadays but it must be 40 odd years old & I used it for many years. The Sigma rods were pretty decent in their day. I’m sure I’ve still got an old Sigma reel somewhere
20211016_175154.jpg 20211017_074004.jpg

I used mine last week, probably the first time in over 30 years.

crumpercatcher.

I still use my Shakespeare seat box with octoplus mud feet. It’s stocked for grab and go fishing on small local ponds. Also gets used when pigeon shooting as it holds decoys & net inside the box, cartridges on the side trays and comfy to sit on.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I had a match international rod early in the 80s ... lovely action (at the time).
I then had a president supermatch but didn’t like that ... too fierce.
More recently I’ve owned shaky LXL rods 16 and 17ft, as well as the excelsior And Mach 3 power and lite.
I’ve had the 7m super team whip since the 80s as well, and have the 8m version from the noughties.
Also a 3m whip for the canal.
Still using my original sigma wand (occasionally).

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
When did Shakespeare stop doing higher end gear and focus on budget stuff? Been quite a while since they’ve put out anything beyond budget ranges that I can recall 🤔

I haven’t got a great deal of Shakespeare stuff but still like my 10ft Mach XT Wand Bomb/Feeder rod I just don’t have much use for it these days. Might give it the odd outing on the canal once the rivers flood again though.

Marker50

Site Supporter
What was that pole they made.
Very expensive .hexigon shape or sumat like that 🤔.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
I cut my teeth on a Shakespeare Alpha match rod, great memories of catching chub from the far bank of the river between ponders end and picketts lock.
I still use an 11ft mach 1 pellet wagg rod today and have 2 mach xt reels, I FD and I RD. under rated tackle, great value

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
I've got one of the original Sigma Wands in the garage at home somewhere.

I had plenty of other Shakespeare rods back in the day but the only one I still have is the 13' President Super Match. It's well travelled and I still use it today on every shore session to catch livebaits (ballyhoo) if there are any about.

alsur

Site Supporter
The rod I'm using in photo is a match international, I still have my Mach 11 boron and I really liked it still pretty good now.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I still have 2 Mach 3 11ft Pellet Wagglers (1 original Micro and a later XT model) and a Mach 3 11ft feeder rod along with 3 Mach 3 035FD reels and a Agility 40FD, all of which see regular use and have never given a moments trouble.

lliopp

Site Supporter
Still have the original wand, it's the only glass rod I still have. Had the original superteam pole, which was great in its day. Now I have several of the superteam 11/12/13 tip rod systems, which although very nice by themselves the butts also interchange with carbotecs. This gives me an alarming amount of permutations to choose from, so have tended to just fish the pole recently.