Shakespeare Mach 3 Feeder Rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

tworodsjackson

I recently bought one of the 11' 6'' Mach 3 feeder rods and having used it a bit now I have come to like it more and more - so much so I have also just purchased the 12' 6'' model too for longer distance fishing!

Shakey seem to have things about right with the Mach 3 range, I now have two of the feeder rods and two of the 040 reels to go on them [:)]

The 11'6'' is a two piece and the 12'6'' is a three piece - both are well made with a decent finish and a good standard of fittings like Fuji rings - the reel seat seems to be of good quality too, only time will tell but one observation on the reel seat is the bits that hold the reel feet (shoes?) could be a little deeper - the 040 Mach 3 reel seat does fit ok but it does not go very deep into the reel seat due to it being quite shallow - it does lock in firmly though and I have not had any problems with it while catching several large bags but I would check to see if the reel you plan to use fits ok.

I have been using them with 6lb reel line and they have dealt with carp up to about 9lb with no trouble at all. They come with three push in tips that are numbered 1,2 and 3 - not too sure if this equates to 1oz, 2oz etc but with the number 3 tip the rods certainly stiffen up a treat for method feeder or longer casts yet I have not bumped a single fish under the rod end when using the stiffer tip, such is the forgiving nature of the rods actions, yet at the same time not too soggy to make casting longer distances or with a heavy feeder a problem.

I'm certainly glad I bought them (from Ted Carter's of Preston)they are certainly comparable in fishing terms to my Normark feeder rods that cost much more.

hemphead2

hemphead2
what are the blanks like,any flat spots?Not very impressed with my mach 3 reel the clutch is rubbish.

Last edited by a moderator:

tworodsjackson

I can't really say I have noticed any, used them both again this weekend without any trouble - section win with the 12'6'' on bream, fishing at 50 turns range and a match win with the 11'6'' on method feeder.

I have the front drag reels and the clutch seems ok, don't use it much to be honest as I prefer to back wind - line lay could be better but has given no problems.

pegasus

benny
normark make or made the best feeder rods that you could buy i.m.o.
but for some comercials you need a shorter rod so i bought a 8 foot mach 1 and though cheap it certanly does the buisness, specialy for fishing a small preston type method feeder up to an island or to a far bank,its hard to cast accurat though because of the lenth of the rod, for any other work i use either a greys feeder or a normark quiver 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.