Severn

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
@Zerkalo ....That far bank on your peg looks gorgeous for a fish or two...:love:....How did Uncle get on?
It's a nice looking stretch to be fair, good access and loads of pegs cut out. The far bank is Ribbesford so you can fish that side too, a busy road runs along it so every time a loud bike or something comes along I had to double check it wasn't a speed boat chugging down the river. :LOL: My uncle had a few Perch on maggot but fished baits like 8mm pellet and meat and didn't have a bite so left about 3pm.
At least you are getting out and trying new stretches 👍
Yeah it was nice to try somewhere different and like I say, not going to write it off, sound a bit grumpy reading the report back but it's been a long day. :LOL: I'm going to head back there on evenings with a Barbel rod as I get the feeling there's some big ones on that stretch.

Krh57

Site Supporter
Nice report Steve, sorry it wasn’t a beano day, good information for our match on Saturday though !! Will let you know the outcome !!

bluemack

Site Supporter
Cheers all.

I had an all day session at Blackstone today. I've never fished the stretch before and most will know but for those who don't, it's BELOW Bewdley, a slower stretch and goes deep at one end. I've walked it a few times before and for some reason never really fancied it, but my uncle wanted to fish it as he can park behind his peg.

My dad was meant to come but only bought his BAA Card last night. You don't get a confirmation to print off like you do with a rod license so he didn't want to go before the card arrives. It meant I had two lots of bait to take with me, most of it's gone in the fridge for later in the week.

This was the peg. Just as it starts to deepen off a bit as the first half of the meadow, the river is so low at the moment, you can see the bottom all the way across. My uncle went in the peg to the left of me.

2022-07-12 15.52.40.jpg

2022-07-12 15.57.47.jpg

Other than the river being low, can't complain about the weather today, overcast all day and it even had spots of rain.

The fishing though... I started on a waggler and maggot/caster/hemp. As soon as I cast it out the shot away as a Bleak intercepted it. I gave it about half an hour on maggot then half an hour on pellet before I gave up and set up a feeder rod. Too many Bleak on maggot and couldn't get a bite on pellet.

I started on pellet on the feeder. Couldn't get a bite.

Went onto maggot on the feeder and caught Perch sporadically, some of them on worm. I probably had 5lb of them, biggest just over 1lb, around 2pm when I tipped my net back.

I then went back onto various size pellets on the feeder. Could not get a bite on pellet until late evening when I had a few missed bites and liners.

I was thinking if I was a Bleak, Perch or Pike, this is where I'd be on the Severn.

I wouldn't write off the stretch though, in different conditions and different time of year.
I know that peg well some good Perch to be had under ya feet,is the matress and rubbish still there on the opposite bank
that some filthy sh#thead had dumped?:mad:

Krh57

Site Supporter
Blue, seen that rubbish the other day, you can’t believe what some people are like :mad:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I didn't notice any rubbish to be honest. Some flipping huge Salmon were jumping. That's what they said to my dad when he bought bait from HT Angling. They said the river is very low but some big Salmon have been caught by the guy who lives in the house at the top of the track. I don't mind catching Perch, better than nothing especially in a match, but I wouldn't intentionally go pleasure fishing for them.

bezzer

Site Supporter
I was due to be out on the Severn this weekend but with the river so low and the temperatures so high, I'm going to give it a miss.
I notice a few clubs on the Severn have 'banned' fishing until the weather turns or we get rain.

Total

Site Supporter
I was due to be out on the Severn this weekend but with the river so low and the temperatures so high, I'm going to give it a miss.
I notice a few clubs on the Severn have 'banned' fishing until the weather turns or we get rain.
A bunch of friends are on the annual jolly to Bridgnorth this week and one described the state of the Severn there as 'Pitiful'.......:(

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Six hour sortie on the Lower today and fished a peg that I have never seen anyone fishing. (me included)
The reason for that could be that it's very open and really channel's the wind upstream.
It was so bad I had to drop the rod and ended up fishing downstream.

Dead reds, various pellets of brand and size were mixed into a Meaty Mix groundbait (mixed a bit too wet and bothered me all session)
The feed went into a very large cage feeder that was fished mid-river.
Bait was Sonu 8mm Spicy Sausage 'O's fished on a two feet tail with a hair rigged size 14.

Three bites all session and not the largest but on a day where the Severn was low and slow, wind a nightmare and everyone I talked to on the way back to the car struggled - I was a happy bunny.

Attachments

• 20220724_065216.jpg
    20220724_065216.jpg
    761.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220724_103916.jpg
    20220724_103916.jpg
    479.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220724_091116.jpg
    20220724_091116.jpg
    599.9 KB · Views: 17

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Well done on a tricky day to nab a few. Nice looking chub and a Barbel to boot. (y)

When you say you ended up fishing downstream I take it that you were downstream of the feeder ?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Feeder was downstream of me Kev.
Ideally on the Severn I will always try to fish at 12 to 2 o'clock when mid-river as like the rod up and the feeder balanced.
It also helps picking the rod tip out against the far bank treeline.
Rarely fish at 90° unless fishing close in to a tree line. (Mainly pred fishing) or the sun is too bright to watch a high tip all day.

The Bream took the bait on the drop and when it ripped off I thought it was a small Barbel.
🤣

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
One of the definitions of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Well I had I good evening as reported a page or two on the fallen tree peg at Quatford, formerly known as the overhanging tree peg, and I wanted to catch a few fish so I thought I'd try it again this evening. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that in fishing, not for me anyway, and if it did it might be boring.

2022-07-24 16.07.03.jpg

The only thing different today was the conditions; actually slightly more favourable (for the river not the peg necessarily), usually there's a shingle patch at the edge you can stand on when I fish this peg. This evening it was underwater. That's probably not because the river wasn't low, just that it's been very low every other time I've fished it since discovering it last summer. It was also overcast when it's always been epic sunshine every other time I've fished this peg.

Tell a lie slightly, I've fished it once before with a bit of extra flow on and didn't do any good. My theory was it actually fishes better when very low and a bit of flow will push all the fish down to the bend in the river just a few 100 yards downstream.

Tactics were exactly the same as last time, pellets and boilies with a black cap feeder.

Starting about 3pm, no signs until about 5pm when I had a couple of missed Chub bites. You need the reactions of cat on this peg when fishing tight to the tree, so I 'struck' at them both to nothing.

I started to get slightly worried when it got well past 7.30pm and I still hadn't had a fish.

But I ended up with 3 Barbel in the witching hour.

2022-07-24 20.25.21.jpg

2022-07-24 21.10.12.jpg

2022-07-24 21.32.32.jpg

So not a bad evening in the end, but I had to fish until late for them, glad the session turned around eventually though.

I'll be going back with my dad on Thursday as he wants to fish this peg, and I'll go on one downstream, so fingers crossed for him.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Well done Steve on a brace of Barbel in as you say less than ideal conditions for the peg. (y)

If you don't mind me asking, what bait did you catch them on pellet or a natural bait ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Good effort sticking it out late for them as you say probably a necessity for now. I’d be asleep fishing that late though!

What sort of weight are you holding with at the moment btw?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Well done Steve on a brace of Barbel in as you say less than ideal conditions for the peg. (y)

If you don't mind me asking, what bait did you catch them on pellet or a natural bait ?
Cheers mate. I've been using 15mm Pacific Tuna Boilies and feeding 4 and 6mm pellets.

Good effort sticking it out late for them as you say probably a necessity for now. I’d be asleep fishing that late though!

What sort of weight are you holding with at the moment btw?
Cheers.. 50g but you could probably get away with 40g on pegs you can fish a bow. Tight line on this one as tight to the fallen tree.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Cheers.. 50g but you could probably get away with 40g on pegs you can fish a bow. Tight line on this one as tight to the fallen tree.
Thanks. Basically weighing up what gear to take next week. Crazy how powerful a river it is even when it’s low as half that would hold anywhere on the Thames atm.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thanks. Basically weighing up what gear to take next week. Crazy how powerful a river it is even when it’s low as half that would hold anywhere on the Thames atm.
It all depends on the peg I reckon. Hampton Loade where I fish it can be pretty powerful, similar to some pegs at Arley, it's what makes them prolific, but might different at different bits of HL.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It all depends on the peg I reckon. Hampton Loade where I fish it can be pretty powerful, similar to some pegs at Arley, it's what makes them prolific, but might different at different bits of HL.
Bit limited for space so can’t take too much so going to take a 1.25 jw avon quiver travel rod and a daiwa power feeder 3 piece then just go with whichever seems more suited. And a float rod of course!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
A familiar spot for me this evening.

2022-07-30 15.06.23.jpg

Got to the peg and there's already some litter there, what on closer inspection was an empty Starlight packet and a can of Carling dropped not by an angler, but a person with a rod. No one really fishes Quatford it seems, only one van there when I arrived. Probably because the first meadow rarely produces much and it's a bit of a walk to the second meadow.

I expected a slow start and to catch later but didn't even manage that. I was due a blank I guess. Another bloke came for a few hours and fished the peg just downstream of me. It looks like there's another partly fallen tree down there and I didn't realise there was a peg there before, so will give me and my dad a couple of pegs to try.

I did see a Black Swan and also had a Pike take my boilie on the retrieve. It came in easy then bolted off in typical fashion before the hook pulled.